Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Recently I had a plumber over the house to perform a job I had no time/(desire) to do. time spent was about 20 minutes, and he handed me a bill for $165. wouldn`t it be nice if we could command such pay? I suspect that because on a wide spread scale we are our worst enemy. Grant it we can`t get the same pay as a tradsmen, but certainly we could do better. this will probably never happen, too many "express" guys out there working for cheap $$$. I`m glad I have a nice customer base now, but I feel for those just starting out trying to make in this biz, its not easy. gary

Post Thanks / Like
    But like any "come to you" service like that, there probably was a "base" service call amount to cover travel, paperwork, etc. I don`t think if it had taken 60 minutes it would have cost 3 times as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ture, but I don`t charge for pick up either, and I "come to" their house. gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, ok...well, I guess when detailing is as important as running water, maybe you will be able to command those rates!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking this lately, and it frustrates me. We professional detailers have to do a better job of educating people about the merits of detailing and what goes into it. In addition, do more to refine our image as detailers so that people will no think twice about paying rates similar to others in service businesses.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    The sad thing is detailing at certain prices is a luxury to certain people. Most people do not want to pay 200-300 dollars on a vehicle they feel will get dirty again in a couple of days. Of course they dont realize the polishing aspects and extended duration of paint life but that`s the way the public sees detailing in general. Its a luxury they can live without. Spending money for getting something "clean" to them is a waste.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    educating the customer here is key!.....most people dont know the difference between a $20 wash/detail at a local wash station and a $200 detail from one of us..
    AZ`s FINEST IN AUTO RECONDITIONING AND DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    We professional detailers have to do a better job of educating people about the merits of detailing and what goes into it. In addition, do more to refine our image as detailers so that people will no think twice about paying rates similar to others in service businesses.

How many plumbers have you seen go out there and educate people about the merits of plumbing and what goes into it? And talk about image. What is your image of most plumbers?

Once again, it looks like Gary has it right. When it comes to pricing their detailing services, on a wide spread scale, most detailers are their own worst enemy.

Post Thanks / Like
    it does come down to luxury vs. necessity...a car will still run no matter how many scratches or dirt is on it...it just doesn`t look good doing it. sure, it may rust...but even then, it will still run with the doors falling off it. it comes down to pride and aesthetics. 95% of the public don`t even know what swirl marks are and i`m sure a small percentage of those that do even care about them.

that`s just the sad reality of it, IMHO.
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    it does come down to luxury vs. necessity...a car will still run no matter how many scratches or dirt is on it...it just doesn`t look good doing it. sure, it may rust...but even then, it will still run with the doors falling off it. it comes down to pride and aesthetics. 95% of the public don`t even know what swirl marks are and i`m sure a small percentage of those that do even care about them.

that`s just the sad reality of it, IMHO.

^^exactly... as i was reading this... all i could think of was an avg. person doing pros and cons by raising lowering his hands of paying $200 for a new toilet or $200 for a detail... "well i would love to get rid of all those scratches... on the other hand, it would be nice to take a sh*t INSIDE my house" :p

unfortunately, it is a luxury to most people and hopefully that`ll change

i wish your pros the best of luck with this

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. My neighbor approached me and asked me if i detail because a coworker of his asked if he knew anyone. So he asked what i do but he was very anxious to know the price. I told him just for an exterior wash, clay, polish and wax is gonna be over 100 bucks. He was in shock and told me that he didnt know it costs that much. So we`ll see what his decision is after i give him a little test spot on his hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most tasks plumbers perform are a necessity. Because detailing is a luxury service, the customer has to be educated about the value of this high dollar luxury service. Most people tend to view detailers as shaddy operations that are only out to make a quick dollar. By refining our image across the board, people`s perception will change. With that change, customers may be more willing to spend large dollars for detailing services.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Because detailing is a luxury service, the customer has to be educated about the value of this high dollar luxury service. Most people tend to view detailers as shaddy operations that are only out to make a quick dollar.

Could it be the detailer who needs to be educated about the value of this high dollar luxury service?

Do detailers view the public as shaddy characters who are only out to get a luxury service for a low price?

When it comes to pricing; are most detailers their own worst enemy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not this detailer. This detailer also does not view the public as shaddy. As for your last question, maybe some do. One has to be careful not to overprice a service relative to what other similar businesses are charging. Not sure what point you are trying to make though.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what point you are trying to make though.

Brad,

Just look around. It is easy to see that way too many detailers do not understand the true value of this high dollar luxury service. Many just see it as a way to make quick money. That my friend is a problem. And it has been a problem for a long time. And as long as these detailers continue to think about detailing as a way to make money, not much is going to change in the minds of the customer.

On the other hand, a plumber does not have an image in the customer`s mind of only being in business to make a quick dollar. Like it has already been said. The plumber`s service is something that is viewed as necessary in the minds of the customer and the customer is willing to pay the high price for this necessary service.

In summary, it is the detailer who needs to be educated and change the way they think. Not the customer. The customer already knows what is necessary and what is not. And a smart customer knows the difference between paying someone to perform a service because they are only in business to make money compared to a business that provides a necessary and timely service. Detailers need to become educated and change. Not customers.

Let`s see why professional detailers agree or disagree with this point of view.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information