Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    Wouldn`t detailers have the same costs?

Correct me if I`m wrong as I don`t know the level of insurance that pro mobile detailers carry but I suspect it is far less since the value of most of the vehicles they work on is less than 100k. Also the rate that an insurance company charges depends on the business classification. Insurance cost different amounts depending on average $$ amount per industry sector claims. For example-workers comp-one sector might charge 30cents per $1000 of employees pay where a different sector might be charged 10 times that amount. Fixed location detailers would have more overhead for building, insurance and staffing requirements. What you need to charge depends on your costs and MEETING the customers needs. Sometimes offering lower priced one step details along with multi-step details could net you more income. If you are in an affluent area $250-350 might be reasoanable. In my area the local quickie guy has a $50 and $100 detail and the affluent area guy is $150. Neither IMO would be the same as a full autopian multi-step detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    The blame can be endless. There is plenty to go around so grab a plate and get yourself some blame.

Express detailer - Gave customers an option to improve appearance and protection of their vehicles quickly and at a lower total price. Also aided in confusing customers so that most don`t understand the difference between express and auto detailing.

Dealerships - Great job on making poor quality almost the norm. Through quick fixes, want it all for nothing attitude and rush detailing the damage to the auto detailing business is horrible. Oh yeah and thanks for making the customers believe that paint protection should last 5 years.

Car Washes - Poor quality, vehicle damage, cheap labor has helped a lot.

Auto Detailers - Lower volume than the above three make it hard to get customers to understand there is a difference. Still it`s your job to establish the difference, guess you just have to try harder. The $39.95 express or $6.95 car wash is happy if the customer thinks they are getting the same service that an auto detailer gives. Not so much fun the other way around though. Oh yeah and thanks for being in bed with the dealerships.

Mobiles services - Some are washers, some express, some detailing. We have confused things even more.

The line between car washing, express, auto detailing or anywhere in between is hopelessly blurred. The customers doesn`t know the difference and they will get a different answer each time they ask the question.

Honestly though there is no one to blame. The market for auto detailing is small. Increasing your hourly rate without decreasing the time you spend shrinks that market. You may not like what the other guy does or how they do it. I doubt he cares much about what you think. Your market is out there, go get it.

Poor quality is bad and comes from all. A great service is wonderful whether it`s a car wash, express cleaning or full balls out auto detailing. The right service done right is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    Here is an advertisement for a detailer in my neighborhood. Now tell me who gives a better image of what a detailer should be; me or this guy? This is what the public thinks of when it comes to who exactly is a detailer and the impression they are left with. This is why folks don`t like to pay good money for a detail or understand why they should. This is what I mean when I say I bring my professionalism from my career as an Operations Manager and help to elevate the industry with my weekend detailing business. (I have "X" out the names):

My name is XXXXX i`m 27 i detail cars for 9 years i`ve worked for XXXXX BMW,Qualaty Auto Body,i worked on Bmw,Mercedes,Ifinity,Jaguar,Porche, Lexus,Aston Martin for any question contact me at: XXX XXX XXXX

This is a fellow professional in the industry. This is what the public thinks about detailers. This is why friends of the family looked at me like I was crossed eyed when I said I wanted to open up my own detailing business. "You want to wash cars for a living?!" That`s what I got. Never mind I have almost 10 years experience in office administration such as payroll, benefits, insurance, bookeeping, invoicing, IT work, lawyer / accountant relationships, etc...

Many of the professional detailers on this board "work out of the trunk of their car" or van or truck, just as I work out of the trunk of my Jetta station wagon with my sandwich board sign to go at the foot of the driveway and professionaly designed and printed tri fold brochures, business cards, invoices, inspection sheets and check-off sheets. I leave the customer with a 2 page print out on how to maintain their finish and properly wash their car; complete with recommended products and procedures.

So, I stand by what I said; that weekend guys like me (and Joe and Sean and others here but who don`t post) work to give detailers a good image and understand what it means to run a small business with a focus on customer satisfaction, stellar results and tolerate nothing less than "Autopian standards" of professionalism.

All that you do is probably why you can charge a premium price and stay busy. Sounds like you`re kicking butt and taking names. I agree, you sound as if you are setting yourself apart from the competition.

By the way, I also am loving Aquawax.

Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    Happens to me on 90% of details, only I don`t invoice.

I show up, detail, they ask how much, then pay--they typically tip too. :nixweiss

That`s pretty much how it goes for me too. I send invoices maybe 25% of the time. Most guys just come out, say "awesome!" and ask how much they owe.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets put it this way. I LOVE a clean car, or else I wouldnt be here. But I LOVE being able to eat, bathe and use electricity more. And on my budget its one or the other
    - Ghostrider you`re at 3/4 of a mile call the ball

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my job

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information