Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So if we can only get the price of a detail up to 4 or $500, people will be clamoring to have it done? I`m with some of the other posters, if you get your toilet fixed it stays fixed for years, if you have your car detailed, it`s still dirty next week. How that becomes a "high dollar luxury service" I`m not sure, I am sure I am not the only one who is still lost as to what point you are trying to make, Mirrorfinishman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, I see what you are saying. I still think customers need to be educated about the value of the services we provide. This is something I always strive to do.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    The average person just doesn`t care enough about their car to pay a premium price. Why do you think express $3 washes are popular?

Getting rid of the hackers and their low price, low quality detailing would help but until people actually care about their cars, we aren`t going to be able to command the rate that someone like a plummer gets. Educating the customer has little to do with it, I`m afraid. We can stress how important it is to keep a vehicle looking its best but that is totally lost on someone who may run their car through the gas station car wash a couple times a year. Having a clean car just isn`t important to a lot of people.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    The average person just doesn`t care enough about their car to pay a premium price. Why do you think express $3 washes are popular?

Getting rid of the hackers and their low price, low quality detailing would help but until people actually care about their cars, we aren`t going to be able to command the rate that someone like a plummer gets. Educating the customer has little to do with it, I`m afraid. We can stress how important it is to keep a vehicle looking its best but that is totally lost on someone who may run their car through the gas station car wash a couple times a year. Having a clean car just isn`t important to a lot of people.

...and hot running water is and that`s why the plumber can charge what he does! Education and "price fixing" wont change that.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that many simply do not care about keeping their car clean. Many also do not know what detailing even is. So trying to explain to people what it is and what the value is in it wont help? I disagree. If people realize there is something tangible in detailing, such as greater re-sale value, they may be willing to pay more. I do agree that automatic car washes and express detail operations does not help our cause.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    So trying to explain to people what it is and what the value is in it wont help? I disagree. If people realize there is something tangible in detailing, such as greater re-sale value, they may be willing to pay more.

I don`t think anyone is saying that. You should certainly try to explain to your potential customers the benefits of detailing, but many people don`t take care of their houses, their cars, or themselves, and preaching to them isn`t likely to turn them into regular customers, any more than the surgeon general telling people that being overweight, smoking, etc. is bad for you has ended those conditions.

What is the point here? That plumbers are getting rich and detailers aren`t? Other than the fact that a plumber charged a lot for 20 minutes I don`t think there has been anything concrete here indicating that plumbers are overpaid or detailers are underpaid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just because we as autopians think it is such a priority to have a nice freshly detailed car, and we know how much it helps protect the car, blah blah. This does not mean our service is a necessity or will ever be on the level as a plumber.

Plumbing is a necessity to keep your house in good condition and working order so things operate. How much value is held by keeping your plumbing in proper working order compared to the value had by not having swirls in your car or dirt in your wheel wells? This is why he can charge you $160 for 30 minutes of work. Having you`re vehicle detailed is a luxury that most people don`t see the need or ability to afford.

With kids, house payments, furnishing your house, car payments, going out to dinner a higher priority for most....the average consumer doesn`t think regularly about having their car perfectly detailed.

How many people when they try to educate the customer on swirls says..."What are swirls" In my opinion we have to educate the customer on what damage is being done to their paint and what swirls are.

I also fail to see the point you are trying to make Frank..you say:

"Many just see it as a way to make quick money."

When really, we as autopians do not see this as anything that is performed quickly and make money quick? How many times do you hear people talking about their market and they can`t afford to charge more? We detail because we love it and it makes us money on the side, those who do this professionaly are not in it to make quick money as look how hard they have worked to build a client base. I fail to see how you can prove people are in this to make quick money at an autopian level. If I wanted to make quick money, along with anyone else here we all know the easy route to take...but we take pride in our work and reputation and research products and technique...

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone has hit the nail on the head here. Look how often we go out to the store and end up with a dent or scratch on our cars because the idiot parked next to us doesn`t give a crap. For something that is pretty much the second most expensive purchase we will ever make, people just treat their cars like it`s a $3 matchbox car. Until people decide it`s in their best interest to protect their purchase, you will never see high demand, or high paid detailers (as a norm anyway).

But a detail will never be a priority like plumbing. You would pay $75 to have a plumber spend 20 minutes to fix your sink because you need water. But would you pay that same plumber (assuming he has the skill) to buff out your stainless sink that`s looking dingy? For most the answer would be heck no. Only someone with a lot of discretionary income that has a high priority on everything looking good will be willing to pony up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua312
    I also fail to see the point you are trying to make Frank...

We detail because we love it and it makes us money on the side

How many people do you know go out there and do plumbing because they love it and it makes them money on the side?

The point is that detailing for profit should not be done only to make money on the side. That really does not do very much to help the image of detailers. Too many detailers running around focused on satisfying their own needs, rather than being completely focused on meeting the needs of the customer. These detailers should have figured it out by now that it is much better to do it right and focus on the customer or not do it at all.

In summary, the reason why a detailer should go out there and provide professional detailing services should always be to satisfy the needs of the customer, not their own needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank,

You do not listen to what others say and just keep on talking about things that don`t make sense to the topic at hand.

"The point is that detailing for profit should not be done only to make money on the side. That is simply what is wrong with the detailing industry. Too many people running around focused on satisfying their own needs, rather than being completely focused on meeting the needs of the customer. Either do it right and focus on the customer or do not do it at all."

From the sounds of things it`s like your willing to work for free. Please tell me what I am doing that is not meeting the needs of the customer?? Because I would love to hear your insight on this as well as you have all answers. How am I focused on satisfying my own needs when I buy the best products, spend whatever time it takes to make a vehicle perfect, and most of the time under-charge for my services because I am picky and want things to be perfect?

"How many people do you know go out there and do plumbing because they love it and it makes them money on the side? "

What does this have to do with anything? It is not my job to detail, I do it to meet my customers needs! Just because I have a job other than detailing does not mean my work is any less than someone like you.

Please enlighten us as to why we are doing everything wrong and are ruining detailers names. I have yet to have one complaint from a customer so please tell me why I should not do this to make money on the side? Why is what I do on the side different from a plumber doing it to make profit or even different from a full-time detailer? We both do the job, do it because our passion is helping others with their needs, and making money while doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    How many people do you know go out there and do plumbing because they love it and it makes them money on the side?

The point is that detailing for profit should not be done only to make money on the side. That really does not do very much to help the image of detailers. Too many detailers running around focused on satisfying their own needs, rather than being completely focused on meeting the needs of the customer. These detailers should have figured it out by now that it is much better to do it right and focus on the customer or not do it at all.

In summary, the reason why a detailer should go out there and provide professional detailing services should always be to satisfy the needs of the customer, not their own needs.

Just as there are "weekend worrior" detailers, there are "weekend worrior" plumbers, and gardeners and electricians etc. and there always will be. My education teaches that a car can in most cases be made to look near or better than new and kept that way. Is that not an image and business builder?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    This started out as a "wouldn`t it be nice if detailers could make as much as some other occupations" thread by Turbomangt. Anyone who is confused as to the direction the thread has taken should think about who has something to gain monetarily in convincing people "it is the detailer who needs to be educated and change the way they think".

Post Thanks / Like
    Joshua,

The low pay scale of detailers, like it or not is constantly being unified by the unprofessional image being presented to the public by those detailers only providing their service as a way to make money on the side. That is the topic at hand and that is the point of my comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Answer me this then Frank if you don`t like the image given by people who like to do this on the side? Why do you sell a book informing people how to get into this business themselves? I for one would never pay *you* $200 too tell me the stuff you are putting in this thread. Nor would I want to be educated by someone with your views...I think you should do your customers a favor and point them to this thread before purchasing from you.

Just my .02 but I`m done for now because I know nothing will ever be right that I say as you are one of those people who always has to be right and everyone else is doing everything wrong...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman

The low pay scale of detailers, like it or not is constantly being unified by the unprofessional image being presented to the public by those detailers only providing their service as a way to make money on the side. That is the topic at hand and that is the point of my comments.

I would point out that the original poster is a fixed-base, professional detailer with high-profile clientele, including the Oprah Show and sports figures.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information