Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    just got a call from a guy who wanted to know a monthly price for maintaining 2 cars...this is the conversation: M=me, H=him

m-hello?

h-hi, you do detailing?

m-yes sir!

h-how much monthly for two cars, a volvo suv and a mercedes E class

m-well I need at least 75 per stop, so for just washes its going to come out to 75 for two cars, or if you get me more cars, then its 25 for cars, 30 for small trucks, and 35 for larger trucks and suvs...

h-ok how about a honda accord too?

m-well, its the same pricing for washes as I just mentioned

h-and how much for details too

m-well, what condition are the cars in, I have a package which includes ight compounding and ful detailing for 190 for cars, and....

h-NO, these cars are new, 2004 and 2006

m-ok well the first time out it will be 140 for the cars and 160 for the small suv, then the next detail I can cut a little off for you since I will not have to do extensive detailing every month, and the pricing plus the weekly wash at.....

h-ok, ok, ill think about it and get back to you later

h-CLICK

Its like the guy just wanted a price without knowing what came with it?? price shopper? I dont know, but I would want to know about what I am spending 200+ per month on!

I never gave him a final price because I didnt know the condition of the cars, and I couldnt get to it because he kept cutting me off! I tried to get in that the first detail would be X amount and the next month I would be able to cut about 40 bucks off every month for him on all the cars....so my question is this: Should I have just said 220 per car and 250 per SUV and let him ask why? Do you tell the prices first, or expllain what comes with it....I prefer to know what comes with the price i am about to hear personally....IMO, if you hear a price first, you tend to not hear everything that comes with it because you think its too high!....I like the features, then think how much I would be willing to pay for it, then hear the prices, then decide to buy or not!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    he is either price shopping or just doesn`t care what he is actually getting (or both). of course, he may have been like me and checking what local shops charge prior to starting out so he has a ballpark of the regional pricing.

Post Thanks / Like
    TG,

You are correct in your last statement, don`t quote a price until you`ve gone over the value, in other words, assume everyone is thinking like you, tell them what there getting first and then price, it sounded as if this customer was Price Shopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the guy just had no idea what a "detail" cost, so he just wanted the price. Kind of like if you saw a car you liked, and asked how much, and it was out of your price range, you wouldn`t want to know all the features, because you couldn`t/wouldn`t afford it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    He could have been a competitor also.....

Post Thanks / Like
    My vote is in for competitor; looks like he was feeling you out for what to charge for certain types of vehicles, plus group rates, etc.

I wouldn`t expect another call from him.

My .02

Post Thanks / Like
    Go over the process you`ll take with his vehicle, the value he`ll receive, quality, ect. before giving him a price. Plus, without seeing the vehicle, I`ll usually give a price range (best case and worst case senario) Most people ask about price because they don`t know what else to ask. Show them, or in this case, tell them what they are going to get for their hard earned money. Education is the key to a successful closing. Most people think detailing is washing their car and throwing a coat of wax on it. They are usually blown away once they hear the extensive process that takes place and the amount of time involved. Suddenly a couple hundred bucks to "pamper" their car doesn`t seem so bad. Always emphasize quality, value, convenience...and save the pricing for last. It`s amazing, when I called around to my competition there was not one single company that explained what they were going to do to my vehicle, or the value and quality I would be receiving. Instead, everyone stated their price and waited to see if I would set up an appt. I prefer to approach things a bit differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLine
    Go over the process you`ll take with his vehicle, the value he`ll receive, quality, ect. before giving him a price. Plus, without seeing the vehicle, I`ll usually give a price range (best case and worst case senario) Most people ask about price because they don`t know what else to ask. Show them, or in this case, tell them what they are going to get for their hard earned money. Education is the key to a successful closing. Most people think detailing is washing their car and throwing a coat of wax on it. They are usually blown away once they hear the extensive process that takes place and the amount of time involved. Suddenly a couple hundred bucks to "pamper" their car doesn`t seem so bad. Always emphasize quality, value, convenience...and save the pricing for last. It`s amazing, when I called around to my competition there was not one single company that explained what they were going to do to my vehicle, or the value and quality I would be receiving. Instead, everyone stated their price and waited to see if I would set up an appt. I prefer to approach things a bit differently.

Very insightful. Those are almost identical to the concepts I am reading about in marketing and sales books. I am currently in the process of establishing this sales technique; incorporating it into my subconscieousness, so that I can spit out all of the reasons why the caller should drop everything and rush into making an appointment with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked it over with someone on the other end of the spectrum....she thought I should just say its anywhere from 30/40 for a wash and 190/250 for a full detail and let them decide if they want to hear whats in between and what they get for the price

Post Thanks / Like
    HOLY crap, it must be my day for low ballers today....

I had a guy pull up next to me and ask how much to do an RV - I told him 17 bucks a foot for compounding and polish and wax, and interior cleanup....

he then asked for just the outside, no inside - I told him then 14 bucks a foot

then he says how much for just wash only, - 5 bucks a foot with spray wax

then he asks about his truck he is driving...BLACK dodge ram 1500 quad cab....

i told him 210 for a full detail and he hollered out his window "you`re too high man" and sped up....

then he slowed and stared at me, so I told him that is for compounding and everything included....he said he didnt need it because its still pretty new....so i saidwell for a one stage polish and sealant wax and interior cleanup its 160. then he asked about just a wash....so i told him 30 with a spray wax.

then he asked if I had a V8 in my tundra and if it was a strong motor and wanted to race....so i told him no mine is slow and the new tundras have the better motor in them, which is true....whats going on today....maybe its the start to me getting really busy with lots of work???? hahaha....what a day

Post Thanks / Like
    when they ask for a price schedule give them a time for a detailed inspection. Where you spend 1/2 an hour writing down issues you will address.

if they say no to your detailed inspection. Then you have not told them anything where they can wander around and say that dude wants 70 bucks for a wash with out realizing you dump 1.5hrs getting there washing drying, spray waxing.

if they say yes then they see you take your role seriously, it gives you a chance to chat it up and see if this is a customer you want.

I detail inspect every job i do before price. I however have the choice of passing on the job either by price, schedule or referal to another detailer that would suit their wants more.

Yeah i may dump an hour here and hour there. but i may also save my self from a dispute over price, quality or simply an unpleasable customer.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    that`s like the appraisal business i`m in. it`s like calling someone to ask what they think your car is worth OVER THE PHONE! :secret :chuckle: this kind of business does not "work" over the phone for either party. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse
    when they ask for a price schedule give them a time for a detailed inspection. Where you spend 1/2 an hour writing down issues you will address.

if they say no to your detailed inspection. Then you have not told them anything where they can wander around and say that dude wants 70 bucks for a wash with out realizing you dump 1.5hrs getting there washing drying, spray waxing.

if they say yes then they see you take your role seriously, it gives you a chance to chat it up and see if this is a customer you want.

I detail inspect every job i do before price. I however have the choice of passing on the job either by price, schedule or referal to another detailer that would suit their wants more.

Yeah i may dump an hour here and hour there. but i may also save my self from a dispute over price, quality or simply an unpleasable customer.

I agree. When I have someone call (or e-mail) my business and want a price on something, I will say `Sure, I can see you on Tuesday at 4`. If they balk at that and don`t want to take 10 minutes to meet (I always go to them), I know they`re not serious, but just price shopping. Having to set-up an appointment with me knocks out about 1/2 of the random calls I get. Always qualify your clients.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I really like to set up appointments for a "free estimate". I will never quote anything over the phone. The benifit of setting up a free estimate is two fold. First the customer gets to meet you and realize that you are competent, and a responsible person by showing up on time and taking your job seriously. Second I find it much easier to sell a customer when I am there in person, you can go so far as to perform a demonstration, and communicate with them more than you could over the phone, (body language, gesticulation, etc).

Always go for the "chicken dinner," as recruiting coaches say, when you are first meeting a prospective client.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve noticed most of the calls from my yellow page listing are price shoppers and all they care about is the lowest price. I tell them right up front I am not the cheapest and in this business you get what you pay for. Not much you can do with someone only interested in the cheapest price. You really don`t want to deal with them anyway, since they usually have the nastiest cars and will be the pickiest customers you will ever deal with.

Most of the contacts I get via the internet are people ready to book an appointment. They`ve seen my website, maybe been referred to me by someone on a local car board, etc.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information