Post Thanks / Like
    As a professional, I hate detailing big cars. Nothing`s worse than a black Escalade ESV, Excursion, etc. My $/hour is always works out to be less on these monsters, as I just can`t bring myself to skimp. You just can`t charge enough...sure you tack on an extra $40 or $50 for being oversize, but now way does compensate for the extra 3 or 4 hours it takes to do an intenzive 2 step polish process. You know if you charged the extra $150 or $200 to properly compensate...they`d say "no way"; most people with small black cars aren`t willing to pay for the regamine to properly care for black, but even less would be willing to pay the premium to care for a giant black vehicle.

Did a two-step polish + interior on a black Escalade ESV the other day (and I really did a good job because it really needed a 3-step), and trust me...I hooked this thing up inside an out, and of course I was a few hours over budget on the stupid thing (I only charged $60 extra), and then the person had the audicity to nit-pick the job with a fine-tooth comb - "couldn`t you get that stain out...what about those white things on the paint (rock chips ). And of course, no tip. On the other hand, I just did a 7 year old black Z3 that had never, ever been detailed...lady paid for 3-step, and I was able to do a bunch of extras like provide 4-step, dye handles black again, clay rims, etc....earning me a $60 tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    We all need to vent, and i feel your pain.

but part of being successful is to evalute the vehicle and giving realistic expectations.

Based on the conditon of the vehicle you can explain the defects and let them know what % of factory condition you can return it to based on those defects.

Say the paint is heavily swirled out, Interior is trashed.. Talk to the customer and give them an 80% and deliver a 90%.

People do understand that not all damage will be removed but will be drastically improved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Star
    We all need to vent, and i feel your pain.

but part of being successful is to evalute the vehicle and giving realistic expectations.

Based on the conditon of the vehicle you can explain the defects and let them know what % of factory condition you can return it to based on those defects.

Say the paint is heavily swirled out, Interior is trashed.. Talk to the customer and give them an 80% and deliver a 90%.

People do understand that not all damage will be removed but will be drastically improved.

Very good points, Talking to the customer is your best defense against nit pickers and price watchers. this is more an in general statement than a point to the original poster.

spending that 10-15 minutes going over their concerns and how you will address them and what you expect from them. This will show the customer that you are providing individualized service, descriptive service, and you will set the tone for both you and the customer to be on the same page.

The key things to address are.

Customers concerns, each and every one. If one will not come out don`t just say. " i can`t get that out." explain why. If you can make it better, sell the improvement not the removal. Give percentages, if you can show pictures of similar issues or problems.

Next talk to the customer about the added time, how they want you to address each issue. A customer may not give a rats arse about x issue, but the thing lil suzy did drives them nuts. This segways into price.

Move the conversation into determining what package, deal, options, services would best suit the customers desires. Our goal is to provide that at that price. Now i am a big believer in throwing a bonus in, but 2-3 hours extra is a bit much.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are excellent points...and I was ranting And fortunately, I feel I already abide by the advice given most of the time.

Still, now that I`m booked 100% of the time (I wasn`t initially, as I only moved here like 8 months ago), I find myself doing my best to steer clear of extra large, black vehicles - and when I do get approached by one of these, I`m quoting extra extra high (my old price sheets used to stipulate $30 extra interior and $30 extra exterior...but now I just say "Large vehicles extra per estimate basis"). If they want to pay $100 - $200 extra depending on the service, then I`m game.

Post Thanks / Like
    there is nothing wrong with saying that. Do not waiver in stating a price it is what you are worth. What your time is worth. so you miss that one job, and you pick up the extra price on 10 others. If you walk your customer through it, they will gladly pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya on the time it takes to detail large black vehicles but here in Texas, they are the norm. I look at them as guaranteed repeat business. I even had a customer sell her pearl Escalade and get a new one in black because I am the one who cleans their vehicles each week. I think you may need to tweak your pricing a bit though, I usually charge a full $100 more on full details for Escalades/Suburbans than I do for cars.

I`ve had people with crap cars nitpick and people with expensive cars tell me as long as the glass is clean, they will be happy. :nixweiss
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan:

Better you then me buddy...........Your 10 deg`s cooler down there.....
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    I hate detailing big cars.

You just can`t charge enough...sure you tack on an extra $40 or $50 for being oversize, but now way does compensate for the extra 3 or 4 hours it takes to do an intenzive 2 step polish process.

Yes, you can charge enough when you base your prices on the hourly rate you need to make in order to operate a profitable business.

Think about it. If a mid-size car takes about 3 or 4 hours to complete; then using the same hourly rate on an oversize vehicle that takes an additional 3 or 4 hours, you would simply need to charge twice as much as the price you now charge for a mid-size car.

Once you have your prices set according to the hourly rate you have established for your business, then you can walk away from anyone not willing to compensate you for your time.

It is basically up to you to get the job priced correctly.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We`ve built quite a little reputation for doing `swirl free` black vehicles (about 65% of our volume!), but I must admit that those "tour buses" really beat us up.

We have a $25 upcharge for black, regardless of size. We also have a $25 upcharge for "extra large" SUVs. So, I routinely charge $300 for a black Escalade, Yukon XL, etc. I just think we should charge more. Perhaps going beyond that `magic` $300 mark is stoping me, I dunno...

I`ll implement a new (increased) Price List in September. I think this thread has convinced me to make the move (Black Excursion? - $345.) What the heck, we`re doing 20+ vehicles a week, they must like something we do...

Thanks for the motivation!

Oh, here`s today`s Black 84 Porsche Strosek (factory, 16,000 miles). This was originally owned by Mike Tyson :sosad

"If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, that Porsche is absolutely stunning!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. I just spent 16 hours over 3 days on a black Ford Expedition that barely fit in my garage.

Everytime I thought I was done, I would find more real estate on the thing to tackle.

To make things worse, less than an hour after finishing, thunderstorms moved in!!! :sadpace:
    The world looks small from here!

Thread Information