Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse
    I think people are getting mixed up.

if both cars recieve the same service, and are aproximately the same amount of man hours. then yes same price.

If you detail a 89 crx, and an rv in and out. you may end up with a dozen more hours on the rv. it`s a different scale of work. So yes you would adjust your price to reflect that.

if you detail an 89 crx and the lambo but the lambo wants cracked leather dealt with, and wants a full sealant instead of just a wax. then your looking at different services than you are doing on the 89 crx, so you will charge accordingly.

Ya, I agree, but as you figured out that wasn`t really what I was addressing. I find that owners of cars that cost a little more *generally* are more willing to pay for "longer" detail, ie: 3 polishing steps, a sealant AND a wax, leather conditioning and so on, which means they will pay more. However like I was saying (and we seem to agree), if they both want the same work done they pay the same price.

It just seems like some guys in this thread sare saying the same work costs more on the Lambo because the Lambo is worth more. As in, 6 hours on a civic = $300 and 6 hours ona Lambo = $500. That`s not how I work. If the Lambo owner is super picky (more than me, which I doubt) and causes me to work an extra two hours sure he will pay more, but in essense that comes down to the owner, not the car.

Kind of funny; when I gave the Maranello owner my estimate he said "that`s all?", so I could have quickly charged him more but what can I say, it`s just not how I do business. :nixweiss
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    Ya, I understand that. I find that owners of cars that cost a little more *generally* are more willing to pay for "longer" detail, ie: 3 polishing steps, a sealant AND a wax, leather conditioning and so on, which means they will pay more. However like I was saying (and we seem to agree), if they both want the same work done they pay the same price.

It just seems like some guys in this thread sare saying the same work costs more on the Lambo because the Lambo is worth more. As in, 6 hours on a civic = $300 and 6 hours ona Lambo = $500. That`s not how I work. If the Lambo owner is super picky (more than me, which I doubt) and causes me to work an extra two hours sure he will pay more, but in essense that comes down to the owner, not the car.

Kind of funny; when I gave the Maranello owner my estimate he said "that`s all?", so I could have quickly charged him more but what can I say, it`s just not how I do business. :nixweiss

I should have clarified, I was agreeing with you. Not commenting on your post. I don`t get it either. what happens when they sell lambo dad a detail for 500 and lambo kid with the crx the same package for 300. Or when they sell lambo dad the detail for 500 he tells his co-worker aobut the package and you detail the coworkers wife`s g35 for 300. you`ll loose two customers that day.

It`s not about making 500 bucks in one job, it`s about making 300 3-4 times a year for 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now where the Lambo might differ is that the owner might want to purchase "extra" services, like multiple coats of LSP, other a la carte services, etc., above and beyond a "typical" detail.

I myself treat every car like a lambo

Post Thanks / Like
    I would charge more for two reasons...more risk in screwing it up (not likely, but possibility) and the fact that people with money like that tend to spend more when they dont have to.

i was trying to say mervyns and fashion island stores have the same exact shirt for sale....mervyns has it for 14.99, and fashion island has it for 34.99....why would people bother with the fashion island store???? - because they have the money and dont really care like someone who is pinching pennies, or not so wealthy....so why not capitalize on it....I am not talking like 500 dollars over (unless you are providing show car details) but like an extra 30 bucks is not going break their bank, but it is going to allow you to spend a little more time on the car and be more dedicated...

to each his own....i wouldnt put a lambo an a honda in the same boat....

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest reason for asking this question was more to see and hear about your favorite and trusted products.

I`m 60 or will be in a month so I remember the days when a good detailer would use nothing less than Simonize and a good buffer for a beautiful wax job. Of course thats back when they used real paint and 12 to 14 coats of "hand rubbed lacquer" was about as good as you could get and nothing was more beautiful. Well...maybe a 57 Chevy convertible with a cheer leader beside you after the Friday night game,Lol. Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-in-WV
    My biggest reason for asking this question was more to see and hear about your favorite and trusted products.

I`m 60 or will be in a month so I remember the days when a good detailer would use nothing less than Simonize and a good buffer for a beautiful wax job. Of course thats back when they used real paint and 12 to 14 coats of "hand rubbed lacquer" was about as good as you could get and nothing was more beautiful. Well...maybe a 57 Chevy convertible with a cheer leader beside you after the Friday night game,Lol. Mike

I`l answer that but i`m not sure you`ll like that answer...

IT DEPENDS..

now i`m not a pro but have have done a few paid details and i`ll tell you I hate paint..

some times it`s car to car other times it`s pannel to pannel..

things i would use are my trusted lights and what ever works.. on the Four car day me and sean did i had the crappy side of the car with a rattle can repaint....(black must..) and sean looked a one panel and say ***.. the pannel looked great untill you hit it with the light.. i went over the pannel again with NO change.. being half the pant was rough and flat I said check the trunk... and where i did was clean and clear.. so we did our best on that pannel and moved on..

So if i was working on a lanbo i would go with lest aggessive. (FPII poilishing pad) med cut (2.5 with polishing pad) if needed or most agressive (pro polish with wool cutting pad)

and see where i`m at

then seal or wax..(i`d wax with natty`s...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse

It`s not about making 500 bucks in one job, it`s about making 300 3-4 times a year for 20 years.

:werd: Never look at just what you will make on a single job, focus on making that single job into a lifetime job.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to jack up the Lamborghini or buy some knee pads. Also you should call your insurance Co. up and up your insurance on working on it, most garages are insured to 100 grand so that might be good enough but if someone steals it while its in your shop then there insurance Co. will be coming after you.

On the newer Lamborghini`s most of the body is of carbon fiber, on the leather seats goto Lamborghini.com and see what they want to use on there seats.

If I owned a fast car like a Lamborghini I would not use cleaning chemicals on the inside, keeping the original smell is vary important. Fast cars and wiper smear does not mix donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t put nothing on the windshield, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t forget to wipe the tires off real real good, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t use any conditioners in the fender wells.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Treat em all the same. Do your best work at all times.

Pictures? You want Pictures?

But, Admittedly, some jobs are bigger than others

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Buffit

Jim

:shocked Holy crap!!
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Aint no way I`m detailing that for $150.00 ! Lol. Now that rig needs Duragloss real bad, Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    :buffing: Im with Coupe, charge $1,000 dollars and dont budge or blink when you tell them the price...

For all the detailers on this subject, I hope you study your vehicles clearcoats. Every manufacturer uses a different clearcoat, LEARN THEM! this is my Kraft, there`s nothing worse than people in my Kraft giving it a bad name because they dont do their research.

DO NOT, I repeat, "DO NOT" put a highspeed polisher on that lambo.

that lambo has a ceramic finish clearcoat. If you put a highspeed on that lambo and burn the paint, you just bought yourself a lambo.

you can use the multi-speed orbital polisher (P.C.) 7424. its an orbital polisher not a circular. Key word is oscillates, "giggles" or mimic`s the your hand movement of waxing by hand.

Steps for Lambo detail:

1. wash with non abrasive soap and deionized water, microfiber towels only!

2. spray detailer with clay (yellow) the yellow clay is a light duty abrasive. Hand movement is left to right, not in a circular movement, and clay is in the palm of your hand, not in your fingers. (clay in the palm of your hand gets even pressure, clay in your fingers can and will leave marks in the paint).

3. Polish (1-step), your choice of polish, polishing pad (white), polisher @ 4-4 1/2 speed.

4. Glaze with finishing pad (normally gray), polisher @ 3-3 1/2 speed.

5. Wax or paint sealant with finishing pad (normally gray), polisher @3-3 1/2 speed.

6. Dont remove wax, yet!

7. Detail any trim/chrome/emblems/wipers, ect...

8. Hand clean wheels and dress tires.

9. Detail inside of lambo. (your choice of steps, too many to list).

10. Windows, inside and out.

11. Final step! remove wax off lambo.

12. Complete walkthrough of lambo, be thorough, your charging $1000, be tedious!

13. Take pictures!

14. Show client vehicle and challenge them to find ANY fault in your work. ( this creates confidence

in your work and a guarantee that their $1000 was well spent).

FINDING A WAX:

find a wax that best suites your customers needs. There are (3) elements to picking a wax for your business and customers.

(1) protection-the amount of carnauba per volume of the bottle? (max amount per 16oz. is 25%)

-do your own research on products, dont take it for granted. It will make a difference.

(2) durability-how long will the wax protect the vehicle? that depends on the type of carnauba used

by the manufacturer of wax. Carnauba is a brazilian tree wax that comes in two types and

colors. No.1 (white) is the pureist form of carnauba available. No.2 (yellow) is the norm for

most wax manufacturers, the basic form of carnauba.

(3) shine-the basic`s on shine are: polymers and silicons. every manufacturer uses these.

The pro`s rate waxes from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest rating possible in each of these categories, protection, durability, and shine. the problem is that there is not one wax that can fullfill a 10 rating in all (3) categories, its a physical impossibility. So, what wax do we buy/use? Buy/use one wax in each category. Have a wax for protection clients, one for durability clients, and another for shine clients. "know your clientel".

AUTOSPA1

p.s. show pics when done, GOOD LUCK!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Buffit

Someone should tell Barry that 1000P would look really nice on that truck! :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Toyotaguy I think your business ethics are questionable at best. That person with money that buys a more expensive product in the area they live in is not because they have more money than brains, it`s typically because time is money, and it`s not worth their time to drive across town to save a few bucks on a shirt or whatever product. Gas doesn`t cost more in a nicer area because `rich people can afford it,` it`s because nicer areas have higher rent, and gas stations there have higher overheads. People don`t typically get rich blowing their money, they are typically smarter with their money than others, it`s just shortsighted folks that see them spend more for certain services and draw conclusions based on limited information. Your suggestion to charge them more for the same amount of work is downright dishonest, in my opinion, and I fully agree with most of the others who have said charge the same amount of money for the same amount of work, period..regardless of car brand or value. Risking damaging an expensive vehicle is something that any detailer should allot for and cover in the overhead of their business if they plan and run it properly.

Now aside from the direction this thread has gone, which seems to have drawn quite an emotional reaction, I would agree with those that say treat this car like any other you detail (although I am not a professional so I will not recommend any products or process) - examine the paint, do a little research about the clearcoat`s condition/characteristics, and proceed with care. Over the last few weeks I`ve done a $180k car, $100k car, and a $65k car...none of which were near the value of the lambo (which is probably exaggerated), but still plenty to make me nervous/cautious. There were no surprises - I`ll bet the lambo also goes smoothly. All I will say is WE NEED PICS!! Have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information