Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man I hate polishing aluminum, it can be a dirty, dirty job and I don`t blame you for not taking off your gloves. Here is something that works really well on aluminum. It can be difficult on wheels, depending on their design. If you are ever polishing aluminum diamond plate (toolbox, or boat trailer maybe) or a large smooth area (floorboard, or fuel tank maybe) this works great. Get a thick, heavy, creamy aluminum polish and a wool cutting pad, I always would get good results with a Buff and Shine 7503G. Polish the aluminum like you`re doing some heavy compounding. If you want a higher shine you can go over it again with a lighter pad and same polish. It`s pretty fast and easy.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice writeup.

Guys this is a dirty job!

When I lived in California I had an equipment rental company on contract. We would detail their Rigs every quarter and would polish all the wheels, tanks, racks and accessories.

I would come home black and it would take a couple of showers to get completely clean.

Any thing contaminated by the polishing was tossed out.

A tip for removing the polish is to put a little cornstarch on your towel. It just absorbs every thing off the metal.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m living in Saint Paul but i do most of my aluminum polishing in western MN for a few smaller trucking companies.

I don`t have access to a shop in the metro, so I only do minor polishing and upkeep on my own stuff here.

My larger tools such as my extractor and most of my "down and dirty" supplies are at a shop near the SD boarder of MN

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t tried corn starch, but i`ve used flour - Same idea. It helps get rid of any residual polish left after the hand rub down with liquid polish.

Good Tip i forgot about that

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work man! I work at a semi autobody shop. I use to polish wheels all day long, lol. Now we found someone who will do one wheel for $40, in like a machine, cuts the rims a little to take the marks and scratches out and then polishes it. Lets just say it looks 100% better then I could do, lol, and can`t beat the price. Now im just ploishing gas tanks, fenders, boxes, and trim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information