Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Im finally getting my business up off the ground and just needed a little help. What do you guys tell your customers when they ask why they should choose your service over the local car wash place? I know the answer to this but I`m not sure how to explain it to other people. It would also be nice to include in my flyer. Any and all help is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 328ic
    Im finally getting my business up off the ground and just needed a little help. What do you guys tell your customers when they ask why they should choose your service over the local car wash place? I know the answer to this but I`m not sure how to explain it to other people. It would also be nice to include in my flyer. Any and all help is appreciated!

I don’t know what you do or what Mike does that’s different. Please tell us so we can fine tune you. List your benefits and how they effect the clients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you choose your services over xyz car wash? Write it down....

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry, forgot to clarify. Mikes is one of those places where they spray the car down, send it through the automatic washer and then "clean" the interior. A little nicer than the drive through car washes at gas stations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    Why would you choose your services over xyz car wash? Write it down....
    good advice... I`d like to hear what others have to say also

Post Thanks / Like
    Things that come to mind are personalized service, attention to detail. I`m sure you will tailor your service to how dirty your customer`s car is and what extras he asks for. The guys at the car wash are just looking to get the car in and out as quickly as possible. They are not going to notice that paint could use some polishing and recommend that, or a particular area needs a little extra scrubbing or cleaning.

Also, are you in a fixed location, or do you go to your customer`s place?

In the end, "You get what you pay for." That`s true for many, many things. It`s just how much someone is willing to pay for.

Good luck with your business.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your full detail process compared to Mike`s? What products do you use compared to Mike`s probably generic bulk products? Who is doing the work? You or some minimum wage kid at Mike`s?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    mention the car wash proccess to them and the damage automatic car washes can do. if its touchless the car wont be as clean and will strip the car of wax, Or if its touched explain all the fine scratches (swirls).

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever used Mike`s service? You should have first hand experience if you are going to debate against it to someone that may actually like Mike`s service. Once you have seen the job up close, critique it and see what you do better.

Also, take note of what he may do better than you and address your "flaws."
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike`s is the market leader in my area. They employ a special swirl inducer, that seems to be quite effective .

I often tell my clients that while Mike`s may be a necessity in the winter, "Mike`s is OUR friend, not yours."

I certainly have never felt a need to compare our services to Mike`s! Folks who don`t understand the difference simply are not potential customers... Never will be.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeegr
    Have you ever used Mike`s service? You should have first hand experience if you are going to debate against it to someone that may actually like Mike`s service. Once you have seen the job up close, critique it and see what you do better.

Also, take note of what he may do better than you and address your "flaws."

Exactly.. bring a car (doesnt have to be yours) to Mike`s. You see their process, prices, and when completed. You see all the good and bad of his service

Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in Ft Wayne, home of Mikes, and have met the owners before. They do a good job at customer service, employees are polite, professional and well-dressed. They make a very good impression.

They don`t do detailing, and as Jim said, they use big swirling "soft cloth" in their car wash, which does a great job of swirling cars, especially black. If people don`t understand the difference between what you do and what Mike`s does, you don`t want them for customers. Of course, if you are just washing cars, not detailing, you do need to explain the superiority of your services.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Buffit
    Mike`s is the market leader in my area. They employ a special swirl inducer, that seems to be quite effective .

I often tell my clients that while Mike`s may be a necessity in the winter, "Mike`s is OUR friend, not yours."

I certainly have never felt a need to compare our services to Mike`s! Folks who don`t understand the difference simply are not potential customers... Never will be.

Jim
    Not only that, but a scratch inducer, down to the metal... This guy got these when he ran it through Mike`s

Applied touch up paint:

Some other areas that were scratched up after wet sanding (notice the horrible blend in from the repaint?) :

After touch up, wet sanding, and polishing:

Post Thanks / Like
    detailer good mikes bad

Post Thanks / Like
    In the mailings I`m sending out for this season, I`m going to mention that Mike`s-style detailing does not remove bonded contaminants, fix scratches and swirls, and provide long-lasting surface protection like I do. I`m going to have a little comparison chart with blue book values on a common vehicle (I`m using a 2003 Volvo V70) and the difference in values between vehicles that have been detailed throughout their lifetime by me (blue book excellent), those that have been detailed by Mike`s (blue book average), and those that have not been maintained (blue book poor).

Although I might have to play a little fast and loose with my numbers, I aim to prove that my services will save people money in the long run, so even if they don`t care how their vehicle looks, they will come to me out of financial self-interest, and I`ll be looking at a whole new market that I hadn`t targeted before (people that see cars as an investment, but not in an Autopian way).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information