Post Thanks / Like
    ....for a one step process and interior vacuum clean up

currently, I am charging about 60-90 (car-suv) to wash, onestep with Megs #66, vacuum inside, and windows, dress tires and exterior trim....is that about on par with the rest of you? also, do you guys go out, load up the equipment for 60 dollars, or do you charge a minimum rate for service....like the total has to be 120 for me to come out to you????

main reason I ask is because gas is going to start killing any kind of deals I can give....I am about to start charging a traveling fee of 10 bucks to come out to you because I have the option of the customer dropping it off to me also...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just started offering a package similar to that ("Premium Wash & Wax"). My starting price is $50 for a two door small car and goes up from there. There is a territory restriction with this service. In other words, I do not go too far to provide this service. I know some other guys that require a minimum amount of vehicles.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    I charge $110-$120 for that service you described.

Jordan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbarnes
    I just started offering a package similar to that ("Premium Wash & Wax"). My starting price is $50 for a two door small car and goes up from there. There is a territory restriction with this service. In other words, I do not go too far to provide this service. I know some other guys that require a minimum amount of vehicles.

We do a “special†Hand Wash & Wax for $49. Disclaimer on size and condition of vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    $75 & up takes about 2 hours for a car 3 for a large SUV

Exterior detail starts @ $125 4-6 hours

I would like to charge more but my sales skills need much improvement.

My eqiupment takes less than 5 minutes to set up useing the KISS method. After the rain today I`m looking into an EZ canopy pop up tent.

The thought of raising my price or haveing a fee because of gas has crossed my mind, but I stuck it out last year after Katrina, and will see what happens in the next 45 days or so.

Right now I have no minimum charge. Most of my clients have several vehicles at one time.

Please critique.
    Quality is a habit, not an act. - Aristotle

Detailer in Charlotte, NC :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to price my work so I average $35 an hour, $40-45 an hour for heavy compounding, overspray, etc.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont offer wash and wax packages........
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    May I jump into the tub here? I am not a professional detailer, though I enjoy keeping my vehicle, and a few of friends and family looking nice. I have the tools, products, and, as I keep hanging out here, the knowledge to do things right.

I have a very stable job that will allow me to retire in a few more years. However, I have done a number of part-time jobs which I did because I enjoyed the work.

One of these was teaching tennis lessons. I worked for eleven years on a part-time basis at a club an hour away, giving tennis lessons an evening a week, and on weekends.

Given the prevailing rate for tennis lessons, I could do very well for a part-time job. But, I noticed a few things.

It is hard to do this kind of a job into your 50`s. If you are doing it as your career, you can`t physically do it full-time, full-bore on a tennis court. At that point in life, there is a scrmble to get into a management job.

To me, it`s like detailing. I know how I feel after I`ve spent a day washing, claying, polishing (PC), and LSP`ng my small car. I`m really tired. And, for a 53-year-old, I`m in pretty good shape.

So, my point is, to anyone who would want to listen, is this. I imagine that if you are detailing professionally, your rates are paying the bills, and keeping things afloat. That`s great.

Have you thought about the future? Will your business grow to the point that you can train people who will work to your standards, and you can manage the business?

How about healthcare? That`s why I`m happy that I became a high school teacher, and did the tennis stuff for fun money, or to help on a project around the house. I never had to worry about the kids needing braces, or if someone got sick.

I wouldn`t want to sound like gloom and doom, but to be honest, I love watching the work of all of the artists who frequent this great site. For those who are doing this for a livelihood, I do salute you.

Just, if you haven`t thought about the future, IMHO, please do. I can tell you that hauling a PC around a car can be a workout later on in life, and I wouldn`t want to see anyone of the great people here miss out on what they deserve.

Just my simple $.02. Feel free to crush me as needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    glad this thread came up, i would be selling myself short!

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding point Moe!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey, Moe!
    May I jump into the tub here? I am not a professional detailer, though I enjoy keeping my vehicle, and a few of friends and family looking nice. I have the tools, products, and, as I keep hanging out here, the knowledge to do things right.

I have a very stable job that will allow me to retire in a few more years. However, I have done a number of part-time jobs which I did because I enjoyed the work.

One of these was teaching tennis lessons. I worked for eleven years on a part-time basis at a club an hour away, giving tennis lessons an evening a week, and on weekends.

Given the prevailing rate for tennis lessons, I could do very well for a part-time job. But, I noticed a few things.

It is hard to do this kind of a job into your 50`s. If you are doing it as your career, you can`t physically do it full-time, full-bore on a tennis court. At that point in life, there is a scrmble to get into a management job.

To me, it`s like detailing. I know how I feel after I`ve spent a day washing, claying, polishing (PC), and LSP`ng my small car. I`m really tired. And, for a 53-year-old, I`m in pretty good shape.

So, my point is, to anyone who would want to listen, is this. I imagine that if you are detailing professionally, your rates are paying the bills, and keeping things afloat. That`s great.

Have you thought about the future? Will your business grow to the point that you can train people who will work to your standards, and you can manage the business?

How about healthcare? That`s why I`m happy that I became a high school teacher, and did the tennis stuff for fun money, or to help on a project around the house. I never had to worry about the kids needing braces, or if someone got sick.

I wouldn`t want to sound like gloom and doom, but to be honest, I love watching the work of all of the artists who frequent this great site. For those who are doing this for a livelihood, I do salute you.

Just, if you haven`t thought about the future, IMHO, please do. I can tell you that hauling a PC around a car can be a workout later on in life, and I wouldn`t want to see anyone of the great people here miss out on what they deserve.

Just my simple $.02. Feel free to crush me as needed.

Very good post!!
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t understand the confusion of becoming a “employerâ€. If your looking at this as a owner / operator business "for ever", then your limiting yourself, financially and physically . The only way to make any real money is management , growth, employees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moe, outstanding post. I`ve been venturing into training and it`s more lucrative than detailing. There`s so little work in it that I don`t even have to wash my hands when I`m done and I`m taking in 3-4 x`s the money in much less time. I already have the healthcare and retirement thing locked up.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Moe makes some great points ( 53 is coming in August)

In my low voltage business, I trained my kids to take over..BUT..its still my business!!

In detailing, I do cars for people I know and those who work hard but have less..single moms etc.

The money making in my detail business ( HOGtailing ) is like it sounds...99% Harleys.

As for my 52 y/o body...I removed myself from the low voltage business because my back and knees couldnt really take anymore. On bikes I can concievable sit on my adjustable stool and never get off it for the entire detail. Although I has various stool..creepers, lifts, etc I think you get my point. I may move at some point to another stool but I no longer kneel ( well I do use a Racatac) or sit on the ground. I have a wash cart and a polishing cart within reach and once I start it is rare that I would move more than four feet from the bike.

That being said for a full detail on a bagger that has not been "professionally" detailed before, I get 250.00.....this on paper is around 5 to 6 hours.
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Outstanding point Moe!

agreed :up

Thread Information