Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WAS
    You do get asked though, so at least the question is being thrown out there. It`s just crazy for me to think of being in business for years and years and never ever being asked to take a CC.

Maybe 2 or 3 times a year and I`ve never lost a job that I know of because of it. Now that I can do PayPal it isn`t an issue anyway.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    In large retail operations you are really missing the boat if you don`t accept plastic. I HATE taking them but it`s just part of the deal these days. I would say 80-90% of our sales are paid by debit card (which I love) or credit cards (which I HATE). I`m looking at offering a small cash discount now to reduce the amount of CC we get but that is simply because the discount rate is charged on the gross transaction and we are getting hit with a 8% increase as we are required to charge the provincial sales tax on our services after July 1st that we never were before and I`m not really excited about having the discount rate charged on the taxes we are forced to collect. Some of the new technology that is coming will allow anyone to accept payments by CC now through their cell phone (iphone being a major one). Work the cost into your price - no excuse not to as a convenience for your customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not being asked about accepting cc`s is one thing but I`d be willing to bet that if you mobile guys accepted them your customers would use that option more then cash/check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShineShop
    and we are getting hit with a 8% increase as we are required to charge the provincial sales tax on our services after July 1st that we never were before
    You never had to charge the PST on your services ? Just GST ? And now because it`s HST, you have to charge that eh ?

Sometimes I love living in the Yukon, not such thing as a provincial / territorial sales tax here :getdown
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    You can look into intuit online, which is a very good billing system that also allows you to accept credit cards.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShineShop
    In large retail operations you are really missing the boat if you don`t accept plastic. I HATE taking them but it`s just part of the deal these days. I would say 80-90% of our sales are paid by debit card (which I love) or credit cards (which I HATE). I`m looking at offering a small cash discount now to reduce the amount of CC we get but that is simply because the discount rate is charged on the gross transaction and we are getting hit with a 8% increase as we are required to charge the provincial sales tax on our services after July 1st that we never were before and I`m not really excited about having the discount rate charged on the taxes we are forced to collect. Some of the new technology that is coming will allow anyone to accept payments by CC now through their cell phone (iphone being a major one). Work the cost into your price - no excuse not to as a convenience for your customers.

My friends have a mobile business (not detailing) and recently they bought a "square." It`s a square shaped device that plugs into the headphone jack of the iPhone. It`s basically a magnetic stripe reader. This along with the app that the company makes allows them to accept credit cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    My friends have a mobile business (not detailing) and recently they bought a "square." It`s a square shaped device that plugs into the headphone jack of the iPhone. It`s basically a magnetic stripe reader. This along with the app that the company makes allows them to accept credit cards.

Yeah, I posted a link to Squareup information in the other two threads curretnly going on regarding CC`s:

--

Anyone think about Square? Its created by twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey...Square Mobile Credit Card System (Beta) | Wired.com Product Reviews))

--

I put a different link on it this time. I haven`t seen any places to actually get one, but that`s cool your friends were able to snatch a beta. It will be the next big thing. They are currently also developing for BBerry and Droid.
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    im getting the droid in a couple months so if this happens, then Ill be taking credit cards and advertising it!

I talked to a couple people and they all mentioned they put everything on the cards for the rewards, whether its cash or points. Also, with a credit card, you can up sell people more. say their car needs heavy claying with an aggressive clay that you would only follow up with a two step process instead of light claying with a one step. you would be able to sell them on a smoother finish and more defect removal. Thats just one example, but you get the point.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Tailor
    Yeah, I posted a link to Squareup information in the other two threads curretnly going on regarding CC`s:

--

Anyone think about Square? Its created by twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey...Square Mobile Credit Card System (Beta) | Wired.com Product Reviews))

--

I put a different link on it this time. I haven`t seen any places to actually get one, but that`s cool your friends were able to snatch a beta. It will be the next big thing. They are currently also developing for BBerry and Droid.

Here`s a video my friends put up on YouTube of them using the square:

YouTube - bGreen Episode #5, Square Demo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mikeyc that is sweet. I knew it was around, but hadn`t seen it yet. I`ll be getting this with my iPad in may for sure! Thanks Mike!
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelM
    Not being asked about accepting cc`s is one thing but I`d be willing to bet that if you mobile guys accepted them your customers would use that option more then cash/check.

Why would I want to give people an option that costs me money if I don`t have to?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Why would I want to give people an option that costs me money if I don`t have to?

You wouldn`t, and you don`t have to.

I feel like that is the wrong way to ask the question. The question should be, does adding the ability to accept cc`s make for a better experience for my customer? Regardless of what your customers are used to, cards are more convenient. They are a time saver and often have fringe benefits for the users.

The cost is minimal, and easily recovered. 3.5% at worst, mine are closer to 2.5% on cc transactions (that 2.5% includes all fees and the lease on my equipment). A one-time 5% increase in your pricing is all it takes to forget about cc costs, forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelM
    You wouldn`t, and you don`t have to.

I feel like that is the wrong way to ask the question. The question should be, does adding the ability to accept cc`s make for a better experience for my customer? Regardless of what your customers are used to, cards are more convenient. They are a time saver and often have fringe benefits for the users.

The cost is minimal, and easily recovered. 3.5% at worst, mine are closer to 2.5% on cc transactions. A one-time 5% increase in your pricing is all it takes to forget about cc costs, forever.
    I`d also like to throw something else in here that none of us have touched on, and that`s your accounting records. Electronic transactions like credit card and interac are AWESOME for accounting purposes. They run through a 3rd party (whoever you have your merchant account with) before they hit your bank account. If you are ever audited by Revenue Canada / the IRS (depending where you live), it`s a LOT easier to reconcile (and prove) electronic payments. When you`re a strictly-cash business, there`s definitely more suspicion on you.
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using Merchant Express for the past couple weeks with laptop and a broadband USB modem and it`s been working out great so far... no problems

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone used the SQUARE yet? how do you like it? I am getting the droid soon, and will be adding the square!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information