Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m thinking about offering some detailing to some local used car dealerships.

Perhaps a can approach them and offer to do a car for them for cheap so that they can see my results and if they like me we can do a car by car basis. Ofcourse this is if the dealerships are looking for their cars to be detailed.

Does anyone have any opinions on how I should be approaching possible dealers?
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gtpaul

Perhaps a can approach them and offer to do a car for them for cheap so that they can see my results and if they like me we can do a car by car basis. Ofcourse this is if the dealerships are looking for their cars to be detailed.

remember used car dealers try to keep how much they got into a car at a minimum, so they always try to beat you down in price.

I don`t do very much dealer work, because I refuse to lower my standards, but i did think of pushing it to the car lots when i started out.

You will eventually get a few calls from them when you`ve built your reputation, and they cant satisfy their customer with the detailers they use.

Post Thanks / Like
    what in your opinion is the best way to approach the dealers?

I don`t mind being knocked down in price as I do need work to gain some reputation and more experience. Although Im not doing anything for free.
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    what in your opinion is the best way to approach the dealers?

I don`t mind being knocked down in price as I do need work to gain some reputation and more experience. Although Im not doing anything for free.

cold calling is what you need to do

It`s all in the pitch, you need to write one and rehearse it

Go to a car lot, take a walk through the lot, mark down the yr make and model, what needs to be done and how much you`ll charge to do it.

Do not give them a per car rate unless they will let you do every single car on the lot and every single car that comes into the lot.

tell them what service you provide, what cars on the lot need your service, and your price.

make sure you tell them the cost effectiveness of having you do it ie: they can get more for the car, customers will be more willing to buy a car that looks good and most defects removed.

True story:

I had a dealer call me they had $4500 into a black nissan they were asking $4995 for.

Nobody would buy the car cause it had 2 good size scratches in it on the roof.

So i filled the scratches with black touchup ( using a syringe) a little clear, a quick buff on the hood and an hour later walked out with $120 in my pocket. They sold the car the very next day.

If your a mobile detailer, tell them their car never leaves the lot and its back on the line the same day.

Think about it, if they send them out to get done they cant sell the car if it isnt there.

hope this helps you some

Post Thanks / Like

Find a need and fill it. Go out there and find a dealer that has a need for the services that you have to offer. Then do whatever it takes to fill that need.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to speak to "David Fermani" about dealerships. IMO It’s more about business then detailing with dealerships.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if Canadian used car dealers are different but here they expect to pay no more than $60 for a complete detail, including the engine. Plus, they expect you to drop everything else and take care of them first when they call.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt have good luck with up here(Maine). the used car dealers up here just dont care, and the ones that do and pay for it have someone. the ones that dont care are happy with the guy that comes with his vac and 10in orbital for $40. I had a pretty good deal with this one dealer I did about 17 of his cars and a couple boats(all sold with a few days of the detail). I did them all rangeing from 80-100. then he gives me this huge nasty black duallie and I charged him 160 for it. that was the last one I did for him( he hasnt called me) Its a waste of my time to spend all day on a truck and only make 100. I could have 1/2 did it and it would have looked fine and he would have probably have been just as happy, but I can 1/2 do anything. I was in there with 3 stage buffs and my steam cleaner. It just wasnt appreciated there. Look for the lots with the already nice cars, walk in talk face to face, have some stuff in hand(brochure, cards) he will probably say he got a guy. then you "well if anything changes or your guy cant make it give me a try". Something like that. Make it short and memorable there usually busy guys, and leave your card. Its hit or miss take a day and your nicest cleanest car and go to every dealer ship in your area. Ive gotten more buisness just driving up in my car and them seeing it then any other factor. here some pics of the story truck. good luck!

I messed up the first shot leaving the mats in so I had to the second shots..... the carpets were nasty. theres a better view of the carpets on my site in my sig.

stuff was actually growing in the bed!

going to neighborhoods like this will make you more money.

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome points and help guys. thanks
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    I work at a small used car dealership, about 30 vehicles. We buy alot from other dealers and it is not uncommon that i spend 4-6 hours after "their" clean. We are known for our clean cars.

I also do some work for another dealership and their bill averages $250. They have had the $60 detail and prefer to have it properly cleaned.

This work is more reconditioning as it might include paint touchup, odor removal, polishing etc. What ever it takes to bring it back to "new". This isn`t for every job, but most.

Most high volume dealerships will not pay very much for a detail because they move so many vehicles.

My advice is to seek out the smaller dealer or the ones that need some polishing expertice.

Dealerships are there to make money, but if you can convince them that your work is worth it, they might through you some business. The margins are so small on new that they probably make more on used cars and if you can prove that you can increase their profit they will use you.

Example: Canadian Black Book -Jan`06

2000 Chev Silverado LT -average condition $12400

-----------------------------clean condition $13650

-----------------------------extra clean $14650

Thats over $2000 difference on the same truck, as long as it isn`t miled out, every vehicle is ready.

Most dealers are so used to "their silicone clean" , meaning that every surface is covered in dressing that they don`t know what clean is any more.

BTW 90% of my work is dressing free which they like as it gives the vehicle a well cared for look.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ I need to be in your area.
    Detail ME

05 Tacoma TRD sport

99 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cj99si
    ^ I need to be in your area.

Please review the rules regarding commercial links and content in posts. I removed your signature link to your web site and the picture with your business sign.

Thank you!

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by salty

Most dealers are so used to "their silicone clean" , meaning that every surface is covered in dressing that they don`t know what clean is any more.

BTW 90% of my work is dressing free which they like as it gives the vehicle a well cared for look.

When I bought my Buick everything was covered in armour-all like you said, it was NASTY. Recent years I`ve just preferred more matte finishes on the tires and dash. natural look.
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought my Buick everything was covered in armour-all like you said, it was NASTY. Recent years I`ve just preferred more matte finishes on the tires and dash. natural look.

I too like the matte look. In alot of ways i prefer to do dealership work more than private people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Please review the rules regarding commercial links and content in posts. I removed your signature link to your web site and the picture with your business sign.

Thank you!

db
    Im sorry I didnt realize I couldnt do that, wont happen again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information