Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone

Im looking to make a flyer for my business which i am currently working on expanding in my college New Venture Creation class. I remember seeing a template or an example of a flyer floating around here a while back, or maybe on a detailing product venders website.

Would anyone happen to know where one could be found? I really need to get something together as im meeting with my professor this wednesday to discuss where I am at in the semister and need something to show him so he wont :hairpull

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont know but I would design one from scratch. Do you have Adobe Page maker, Photoshop or Office XP?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, that is the problem. I dont own any of the programs required to start on a flyer. I really have no clue how I would like my flyer to look, thats why I would like to see one or a template for one that I can take some ideas from.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would draw one on paper. Dont get to fancy where you have to hire someone to do custom art. Make a simple logo and what not. Then pirate the program needed to design the flyer. Page maker is a $200.00 program and photoshop is even more. If I could find my copy of photoshop I could whip you up a flyer in no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradUF
    I would draw one on paper. Dont get to fancy where you have to hire someone to do custom art. Make a simple logo and what not. Then pirate the program needed to design the flyer. Page maker is a $200.00 program and photoshop is even more. If I could find my copy of photoshop I could whip you up a flyer in no time.

I think that Adobe offers a free trial...

Edit: Also there are some free similar programs to Adobe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Then pirate the program needed to design the flyer.

It`s hardly necessary to steal in order to make a flier.

Once you come up with a template you like, you can easily rent a machine for a an hour at your local Kinkos (or any number of other like businesses) and use their computer to create the final version.

Stealing software isn`t necessary.

Page Maker costs a tad more than $200.00, try $499.00 and up.

There are other products (some available for free) that will do the job equally well (though might have a steeper learning curve). Look for "GIMP". Great program, absolutely free.

Telling someone to steal software to promote their business is no different than telling someone to steal the chemicals they use to detail the car. Both are theft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by volvoguy
    No, that is the problem. I dont own any of the programs required to start on a flyer. I really have no clue how I would like my flyer to look, thats why I would like to see one or a template for one that I can take some ideas from.
    You don`t need anything fancy. I have some pretty nice flyers I made using Word. I tried a bunch of templates I found but they always looked cheesey. Also, instead of flyers, you might want to try some promotional post cards. Then you can mail them out if you want and not need an envolope. I had a bunch made up at www.vistaprint.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look for "GIMP". Great program, absolutely free.

GIMP has a hard learning curb and this is compared to photoshop which is already hard to use for most people. Also I thought GIMP was Linux only? Thats what I had gimp on. Also whats the point in paying all that money for something you are only going to use once or twice. These programs are ment for people who are going to use them everyday. You cant expect someone to spend $400.00 to use a program once.

Post Thanks / Like
    GIMP has a hard learning curb and this is compared to photoshop which is already hard to use for most people. Also I thought GIMP was Linux only? Thats what I had gimp on. Also whats the point in paying all that money for something you are only going to use once or twice. These programs are ment for people who are going to use them everyday. You cant expect someone to spend $400.00 to use a program once.

I most definitely CAN expect someone to pay for it if they intend on using it. Piracy is theft. It`s that simple. You wouldn`t walk in to a store and steal the software package off the shelf, why would you pirate a copy and install it? They`re the same thing (sorry, but risk of getting caught isn`t a valid ethical argument). Saying that because they`re only going to use it once they shouldn`t pay for it is like saying you shouldn`t pay for food if you`re only going to eat it once. It`s illogical.

GIMP is open license software available for the Windows platform.

You can get Photoshop Elements for under $100. It will do what you need to do. You can get PaintShop Pro for under $100, it will also do what you need to do. You can get Open Office for free, it has a word processor that will do whatever you need to do and is compatible with MS Office files.

Once again, you don`t need to steal to promote your business. Piracy is theft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Thanks for the responses guys. I think I may try and hash out something in word tonight just for something to show tomorrow. After that I am going to download this GIMP program and try it out. There is a kinkos in a town nearby if I would need to use it. Once again thanks for all the ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by volvoguy
    Wow, Thanks for the responses guys. I think I may try and hash out something in word tonight just for something to show tomorrow. After that I am going to download this GIMP program and try it out. There is a kinkos in a town nearby if I would need to use it. Once again thanks for all the ideas!

One other thing to consider. . . . I mentioned Photoshop Elements above. You can get free copies of that program with many types of hardware (digital cameras, scanners, digitizing tablets, etc.). For instance, I have a copy that I got with a Wacom tablet. The tablet was only $89 and came with software that separately would have cost me another $89-$100. Not a bad deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Elements is not that great, I would go with gimp because you have much more power even though it has a killer learning curb.

Post Thanks / Like
    For someone who isn`t doing photo manipulation to a great degree, Elements has everything you need. The main things lacking in Elements are advanced photo editing features, which aren`t needed for creating fliers (unless perhaps you`re advertising your ability to manipulate photos).

Hell, I can even use most Photoshop filters in Elements (Nik Color Fx Pro for instance works flawlessly in Elements).

I`m going to have to guess that you haven`t used them both extensively.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also download Open Office http://www.OpenOffice.org . It is a suite of programs that are very Microsoft Office like. It includes a simple paint draw/paint program along with it. It will read and save to microsoft format also. The best part is that it is free. I honestly feel like the average person could use this product instead of Microsoft Office and be none the worse for wear. My children actually prefer this suite to Microsoft even though both are sitting right in front of them.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    You could also download Open Office http://www.OpenOffice.org .

Thanks for the link, I think I mentioned that one earlier but didn`t have a link for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information