Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    THis thread is open to everyone... I have a hard time determining what "quick response" I should be giving people when I tell them I detail. I`m a college student that works and goes to school fulltime. I have been detailing "Autopian Style" for two years roughly. I have detailed 30 plus cars not including my car or family members for money. I feel very confident in my detailing abilities and have pretty much everything I need.

When I run into people and tell them I detail, I would like to say "I`m a professional detailer" so they dont think Im some punk that just "cleans" cars. What I want to know is mostly you non-actual business owners of detailing shops...do you claim you are a professional to other people? What would consitute a "Professional Detailer?"

I know you could explain to people that you aren`t necessarly a "Pro detailer" but do professional level work, but it takes time to explain yourself to them and etc. Im talking about running into someone, mentioning you detail, but you only have a brief few minutes to capture their attention. Mentioning you are professional will capture their attention quickly but at the same time I dont know exactly what would give me the right to claim to be a professional? I don`t want to lie, but I know I do produce professional results.

Everyone drop some feedback
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice question...Cant wait to hear the responses because I am also dealing with this situation. Currently if people ask about my service..I tell them I am able to detail their car at my home or theirs and I guarantee their satisfaction and produce quality results with the botique products I use.

Dont be scared to call yourself a professional..ive seen your work in your posts and it is top notch....there are so many pro detailing shops out there that dont deserve the "professional" name

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in your situation too. I use to be kind of shy about calling myself a pro but once i started having some confidence behind my work, people were much more willing to pay good money for my services. You have to almost be cocky, as long as you can back it up.

Good luck!

Jordan

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, I wouldn`t call my self a professional unless detailing was my *only* means of employment. These guys have my respect in every sense of the word.

Those of us that "play" professional on the weekends are nothing more than "serious enthusiast." When you have to start paying insurance, buying *real* equipment, paying workers comp, etc. then you can call yourself a pro(not*you*, but "you" in the collective sense of the word).

That`s just my opinion though. I don`t really have a problem with it, just let your work speak for itself. Once referrals start coming in, there is no need to prove your self verbally--they will *know* what kind of work you produce.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01bluecls
    THis thread is open to everyone... I have a hard time determining what "quick response" I should be giving people when I tell them I detail. I`m a college student that works and goes to school fulltime. I have been detailing "Autopian Style" for two years roughly. I have detailed 30 plus cars not including my car or family members for money. I feel very confident in my detailing abilities and have pretty much everything I need.

When I run into people and tell them I detail, I would like to say "I`m a professional detailer" so they dont think Im some punk that just "cleans" cars. What I want to know is mostly you non-actual business owners of detailing shops...do you claim you are a professional to other people? What would consitute a "Professional Detailer?"

I know you could explain to people that you aren`t necessarly a "Pro detailer" but do professional level work, but it takes time to explain yourself to them and etc. Im talking about running into someone, mentioning you detail, but you only have a brief few minutes to capture their attention. Mentioning you are professional will capture their attention quickly but at the same time I dont know exactly what would give me the right to claim to be a professional? I don`t want to lie, but I know I do produce professional results.

Everyone drop some feedback

Titles become very important for young people and it was no exception for me looking back. Calling yourself a professional isn’t going to make people respect you, it’s showing them. A true professional, IMO is someone who has at least 10 to 15 years full time experience in a profession. I suggest a book, (portfolio) made-up of your work and letters of recommendation to show prospective clients.

I’m going to have to start charging for this information soon!!! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Im just an enthusiastic detailer, offering professional services.........
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Im just an enthusiastic detailer, offering professional services.........
    I like that. :buffing: And for some reason I always thought your avatar was a troll doll. It`s a monkey though isn`t it? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    IMO, I wouldn`t call my self a professional unless detailing was my *only* means of employment. These guys have my respect in every sense of the word.

Those of us that "play" professional on the weekends are nothing more than "serious enthusiast." ..That`s just my opinion though..

Uhm, you really oughta rethink how you classify yourself- you are a "professional" in every sense of the term Heh heh, just ask the Porsche dealer who paid you to detail that Cayenne.

To me, you don`t have to have detailing be your *only* source of employment; I know MDs who do other things for money but they`re certainly "medical professionals".

Just IMO (and check a few dictionaries, there are different definitions), but a "professional" is somebody who does something for money. The term gets used/abused/misused all the time. There are lousy pros (who are still *very* successful remuneration-wise) and there are incredibly skilled "amateurs" who could show them up every time. The "professionals" in my area have many clients, get paid big bucks, work on exotics, and do work that wouldn`t be good enough for my snowblower (if they were any good I`d probably pay them to do the MPV ).

I`d rather see a distinction between "expert" and "laymen", or something along those lines.

But IMO if you get paid to do something you`re a professional.

Gee, lots of "IMO"/etc. in this post, but that`s all this topic really is- our opinions on how the term oughta be applied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    And for some reason I always thought your avatar was a troll doll. It`s a monkey though isn`t it? LOL

Troll? Monkey? :think: I thought that was Patrick
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01bluecls

It is basically just words when you try to tell someone that you are a professional detailer.

What really matters, and this goes for someone who has been in business for 20 years or just starting out, is the high quality professional service that you provide, along with your professional business appearance. In other words, when you look like a professional, act like a professional and provide services like a professional, then most people will begin to think of you as a professional.

Nothing you can say will ever convince anyone that you are a professional. It is all in the professional experience and the professional results that you provide. That is what will be remembered long after the words have been forgotten.

Imagine yourself as a professional detailer and you will become a professional detailer. It is basically that simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO its important to have a portfolio of your work and clearly define what services you offer, at what costs, and what benefits they provide.

If you`re well organized, able to get the job done up to expectations and on time, I think you should have the title `Professional Detailer`.

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is that the Professional Detailing Technicians Association ( PDTA) is focusing on establishing a firm definition of "professional detailer" by trying to maintain a spotlight on who detailers are what exactly they do. Educating the general public about what detailing is increases credibility of the profession.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    My understanding is that the Professional Detailing Technicians Association ( PDTA) is focusing on establishing a firm definition of "professional detailer" by trying to maintain a spotlight on who detailers are what exactly they do. Educating the general public about what detailing is increases credibility of the profession.

Interesting answer!!!

How many members do you currently have? How long have you been a NPO?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not an associate. Jim Hammill and Brian Angelucci run it. I couldn`t find stats, but I`m assuming membership is at least in the hundreds.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    I thought that was Patrick

Patrick isn`t that good looking. :LOLOL

I`m not either, so I guess I can`t talk!

------------------------

I`d say as long as you charge money for detailing, you are a professional detailer. Unfortunately, the hacker down the street putting swirls in people`s cars is also considered a professional.

I like what Patick said about being an enthusiast who charges.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information