Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear All,

Paul Dalton of Miracle Detail seems to have created a bit of a stir, so I thought I`d better try and answer a few questions. Starting with why he`s not posting himself!

Basically, it`s because Paul is extremely busy (detailing and correcting the paintwork of cars, as you may expect) doing 10-12 hours - with a long waiting list meaning little free time even at weekends. So he cannot post on detailing forums as much as he would like. However, he does read them because of his professional interest in detailing.

Therefore, I would like to step in as his marketing/PR guy and 1) explain a bit about the Fifth Gear feature, and 2) try and act as a conduit for any questions you may have for Paul. I will answer them as well as I can, but please bear with me as I am not a detailer myself. I am just as likely to get my terminology wrong as you would talking to me about a `six page roll-fold in a C5 outer`

Firstly, Fifth Gear.

Fifth Gear were poised to do a feature on Paul before we launched his `5k car wash` service in a bid to raise his profile, establish his credential as a leading detailer in the UK (and beyond) and also spread the `detailing gospel`. Remember that all publicity for Paul indirectly benefits all professional detailers. I have first hand evidence of other detailers being asked for a similar service to Paul`s 5k car wash (normally for less money, as you would expect!).

The Fifth Gear feature, and subsequent mass-media coverage, required Paul`s services to be simplified for a mainstream audience. These are people who don`t know what a clay bar is and they would think two buckets wholly impractical. They are your mums, dads, girlfriends and `non-believing` mates. Washing up liquid and a gritty sponge is their car care equipment of choice.

Therefore, the shoot for Fifth Gear was broken down into `basic stages` and was not completely representative of what Paul does to a client`s car. It is about as real as the film Titanic was... dramatising a true story so that everyone `gets` it, but the details may be slightly different or inaccurate. Leonardo Di Caprio never floated away on an iceberg in real life!

So... two buckets and grit guards. Paul uses multiple buckets for client cars and uses grit guards. For the shoot he used one bucket with a grit guard because the car had been thoroughly detailed prior to the shoot. In effect, he was washing a clean car, for the benefit of the cameras.

As for Zymol Royale, at the time of this shoot, Paul was one of two to three detailers in the UK with Zymol Royale. There are now a few more. The reason for any inaccuracies is due to the time difference between shoot and broadcast date; a period of a couple of months.

Secondly, Paul would like to thank everyone for their interest and support. He has been a bit dismayed about some of the negative comments, especially from those who think he is a guy swanning around with loads of money, `ripping people off` or who can`t detail cars properly! So to address those issues quickly.

`Loadsamoney`? Nope, Paul`s 5k car wash is a genuine service but for obvious reasons is a rarity... demand is currently just 1-2 of these per year and as it is based on Paul`s hourly rate he doesn`t earn any more from this as from a day to day full order book. Normal detailing/paint correction comes in at about 300-600 GBP per car. If it saves a respray or helps a car sell for top money then it`s good value. And it`s not as if you need him to come over every week.

`A rip off`? Not really. Paul charges 75 GBP plus VAT per hour, which is expensive compared to some detailers, admittedly, but he has invested heavily in his business (Merc van, 4k paint depth gauges, 7k Royale) and has formidable paint correction skills. In the UK, a main dealer charges you 100 GBP plus VAT per hour for an oil and filter change, and an average plumber charges you in the high sixties. So is Paul really pricey when working on the cars that he does? Paul`s one of the top few detailers in the UK, if not the world, and I bet your plumber wouldn`t be top of the same plumber`s league.

`Can`t detail cars properly`? What the papers/TV say, surprise, surprise, isn`t always that close to reality. It is repackaged, reprocessed and regurgitated for a mass audience. `Australian microfibre towels and filtered water` were reported third hand by one magazine as `filtered water imported from Australia`. Quite different and a bit silly. Suffice to say, Paul has 13 years of experience, details cars to extremely high levels and is proud of his professionalism. If he was dropping his sponge on the floor every five minutes, he wouldn`t get near a Veyron, would he? The results, his client list and order book show that he is doing something right - and it`s not just my marketing, even if I would like to claim that it was, LOL.

Thanks for reading all this and I hope it has given you an insight into the mysterious Paul Dalton. He isn`t `above` contributing forums, he just doesn`t have the time. But I will try and log in every now and again, time permitting, of course.

For those interested in Paul`s work, you can see his galleries on his website at www.miracledetail.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    A very balanced article, thanks for posting here (and detailing world) Paul has used his undoubted skills to build a high quality reputation which leads to his ability to earn good (but as you rightly point out) not excessive money - and as far as I am concerned good luck to him.

It is disappointing to see negative comments, many I suspect may be driven by jealousy, but Paul has built his business its up to each individual to do the same.

As you have said elsewhere the publicity Paul has achieved recently has actually done all detailers good, especially in the UK where the average motorist wouldnt recognise a swirl if it jumped up and bit them - and we all owe Paul our thanks for that!!!

Welcome to the detailing forums, I hope you (and maybe Paul) will be able to look in now and again.

(Dont suppose you fancy being MY agent???? :chuckle: )

(m500dpp) on DW
    2 Classic Minis, Rover 200vi, Mazda mx5, Ford Mondeo Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. As you say, if people knew what a swirl mark actually was detailers would be rushed off their feet; I imagine 99% of cars in the UK need some form of paint correction.

Conflict of interests prevents me working for another detailer at his level, but if Paul grows Miracle Detail to be some sort of league of super detailers, then maybe you could join us

Rgds

MA

Post Thanks / Like
    How can one justify paying $5,000.00 for a tub of wax? There is nothing special about that wax. It`s the same chemical, waxes and solvents available to every other car wax maker. Sure one maker may tweak things from another, add more wetting agents, more carnauba, less of this or that, etc. but as a pro myself I would never pay over $50 for a GALLON of cream wax. I could never tell a client, "Hey this wax cost me $5,000.00. It will really shine and protect your car far better than this $30 tub of wax!" The reason I could never say that is because it`s a LIE.

Now if the client wants that wax and is willing to pay that much money for me to apply it...I`m all for that BUT I could only do so if my client was aware that there`s nothing special about it. Does Paul tell his clients this wax is no better than a tub of any other high end wax or does he actually sell them on this wax being special and if so just what does he tell them?

You guys have done a great job in the marketing department, my hats off to you. Nice to see one of us detailers making a name for themselves.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    `Loadsamoney`? Nope, Paul`s 5k car wash is a genuine service but for obvious reasons is a rarity... demand is currently just 1-2 of these per year and as it is based on Paul`s hourly rate he doesn`t earn any more from this as from a day to day full order book.

Awesome! Most I have charged is $1600 for a detail. We charged our labor rate and thats what it came out to. It took two of us almost a day and 1/2 to complete. :nixweiss
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Superior Fine
    Awesome! Most I have charged is $1600 for a detail. We charged our labor rate and thats what it came out to. It took two of us almost a day and 1/2 to complete. :nixweiss

would that be your school bus fun?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    How can one justify paying $5,000.00 for a tub of wax? There is nothing special about that wax. It`s the same chemical, waxes and solvents available to every other car wax maker. Sure one maker may tweak things from another, add more wetting agents, more carnauba, less of this or that, etc. but as a pro myself I would never pay over $50 for a GALLON of cream wax. I could never tell a client, "Hey this wax cost me $5,000.00. It will really shine and protect your car far better than this $30 tub of wax!" The reason I could never say that is because it`s a LIE.

Now if the client wants that wax and is willing to pay that much money for me to apply it...I`m all for that BUT I could only do so if my client was aware that there`s nothing special about it. Does Paul tell his clients this wax is no better than a tub of any other high end wax or does he actually sell them on this wax being special and if so just what does he tell them?

You guys have done a great job in the marketing department, my hats off to you. Nice to see one of us detailers making a name for themselves.

Anthony

Hi Anthony

You make a very interesting point! The fact is Paul doesn`t tell his clients Royale is necessarily WORTH that much money, just that`s how much it costs. Zymol are the ones who make any claims as to whether it is better or not. He is simply offering a service using the best or most expensive materials going, and sometimes that line is blurred.

Is a 50 dollar wax better than a 5000 dollar wax, given the same basic ingredients? Personally, as someone with a working knowledge of wax emulsions, I agree that the ingredient cost is unlikely to make up most of the cost of the more expensive wax, even with refills for life, like Zymol promise. What does cost the money, from someone with a working knowledge of marketing, are things like a nice container and the marketing/publicity fees that must be paid to promote the product!

Thanks for your input and kind words.

Rgds

MA

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that Paul Dalton has achieved what many detailers (including myself) aspire for. And that is detailing million dollar cars and a clientele with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

How he markets his product shouldn`t be a problem for any of us as his prices are in the upper deck compared to ours. All we need to do is thank him for educating the masses of people that have now seen that piece and want a similar treatment to their cars, where before they did not know it even existed.

Cheers to Paul... keep up the great work and "GOD SAVE THE QUEEN"... :2thumbs:
    Proud to be... :ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    The point is, he has carved out a niche in the market. It doesn`t matter if he uses TW, nufinish, or any other brand. The customer obviously believes in him, his marketing skills are fantastic, and from what I can see, he is a great detailer.

I say we do whatever it takes to get him here. I would love to see this guy become a regular.

Good for him, I am glad for him and would love to hear his thoughts.

WELL said. I would love to see more of his work and process.
    C&E Mobile Detailing. Serving San Diego`s finest autos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlock32
    would that be your school bus fun?

No the school bus project was $10,000 + combined.

The $1,600 was for an exotic car that needed allot of paint correction.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information