Post Thanks / Like
    I have been lurking around here for awhile now. The information I have gathered here is priceless. I have been detailing family members and friends car for years now. I am now ready to take the plunge and detail professionally. I have been going to a business counsleor and taking small business development classes. On Febuary 8th my birthday, I got my business license. I have been soliciting several business` and a couple of car enthusiast group. I recently talked to a manager at our local BMW dealership. The last "detailer" used kerosene to remove the cosmolene from the cars. The kerosene in turn was damaging the trim. My question is this, how can I remove cosmolene on paint with out damaging the paint and trim? thanks.

Patrick Untalan

Owner/President/employee <<<<<whoowhooo I own my own business!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boom-boom
    I have been lurking around here for awhile now. The information I have gathered here is priceless. I have been detailing family members and friends car for years now. I am now ready to take the plunge and detail professionally. I have been going to a business counsleor and taking small business development classes. On Febuary 8th my birthday, I got my business license. I have been soliciting several business` and a couple of car enthusiast group. I recently talked to a manager at our local BMW dealership. The last "detailer" used kerosene to remove the cosmolene from the cars. The kerosene in turn was damaging the trim. My question is this, how can I remove cosmolene on paint with out damaging the paint and trim? thanks.

Patrick Untalan

You may try vapor-steam and #0000.

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense but don`t put steel wool any where near the exterior paint!

Now about the cosmoline.....how do you know it`s cosmoline, where is it at on the car and what type of cars?

Not many car manufacturers use cosmoline any more which is why I am asking.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick Untalan

Oil Flo Safety Solvent Cleaner will remove Cosmolene rather effortlessly. I have owned two bimmers, both had a fair amount of cosmolene on the left and right interior sides of the engine bay - inside fender walls. Just make sure to rinse the Oil Flo off gently with soap and water - Oil Flo is water soluble but try to keep it away from plastic, rubber bits and do wax/seal the interior engine painted parts/area you remove the cosmo from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys, the cars are BMWs at our local BMW dealership. I asked the manager if he was sure that it was cosmoline, he told me "yep, it`s cosmoline". From what I understand, is that the cosmolene completely covers the car.

Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys, the cars are BMWs at our local BMW dealership. I asked the manager if he was sure that it was cosmoline, he told me "yep, it`s cosmoline". From what I understand, is that the cosmolene completely covers the car.

Pat

I think the Cosmolene is used to prevent attack from sea salt/spray/mist during shipping via

boat, as BMW does not manufacture a number of their models US State Side. Do a search for Oil Flo Safety Solvent, if I recall the company that manufactures it is Titan something or other, and in their proven effective against matrix cosmolene is listed.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks cleaner. I did a search and sent a request for information on their web-site. Thanks again.

Pat

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odds are good that it is NOT Cosmoline.

Used widely in shipping war materiel in the forties... other methods have gained favor in the new millenium.

Mercedes DID use it in the eighties (on engines). Referred to as "engine wax", the Owner`s Manual caytions strongly against attempting to remove it.

I`d call BMW Zone Office. We sure don`t want to damage new paint!!!

Good Luck.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Jim.

Pat

Thread Information