Post Thanks / Like
    I have been told that I`m somewhat of a marketing guru, so I guess this should not be a suprise. Over the weekend my local chamber had a Expo where local business`s come and set up booths to promote their business. Perfect Auto Finish proudly had a nice display with a drawing. I had a fishbowl with a sign saying, "WIN A $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE OFF A COMPLETE DETAIL" at the end of the day I had over 100 business cards in the fish bowl. I spent and next day calling everybody telling them they won the $50 off. I booked more appointments that day than in my entire career. :spot I paid $275 to have the booth, and the return I`m getting back is priceless. I love this business. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea Gary. I might just have to try that one.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good idea. Any other places where this idea might work? Car shows, website, other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    If only the weather would allow me to do that. Crappy since last Friday and probably through this Friday. I am so backed up now it isn`t even funny.

Maybe be a good idea for this summer when my kids are here and I have some help.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    What happens if the two winners know one another?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_
    What happens if the two winners know one another?

That`s sort of my line of thought also.

It`s a pretty good idea in theory, but I could definitely see someone feeling deceived.

It`s not a lie or unfactual, but at the same time the potential customer doesn`t fully understand what`s going on.

It`s too bad that marketing sometimes utilizes deception to be most effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t quite understand what the problem is. Just like the post indicates...everyone wins in this senario. Gary sets appointments with numerous new clientele, while they receive a $50 discount which is what they`ve signed up for. Who cares how many people won. These people "won" what they were after. I don`t feel it`s deceiving, but rather giving each potential client something they want and have signed up for. Plus, I`m sure not everyone is going to sign up even after finding out they have won the $50 off. If you were that concerned with the set up, you could always put "multiple prizes awarded" or something like that. This marketing concept was discussed in the Detail King training program as well. I think its a great way to get your name out there and to add to your clientele base, if you don`t mind giving the discount. Another benefit to giving a discount in this fashion is that customers won`t be expecting the discount on future services...it is something they won rather than negotiated. After agreeing on a negotiated "discounted" price, a client will typically expect it every time thereafter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I see what your saying silver, however, if they were all at the show chances are the customers may know one another somehow and normally you only get one prize so it may end being bad for business if they think you are bending the truth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_
    if they were all at the show chances are the customers may know one another somehow and normally you only get one prize so it may end being bad for business if they think you are bending the truth.

I see where concerns may come up here. As I mentioned, maybe by putting something like, "Multiple Winners", or "Multiple Prizes Awarded", would cover your hind and alleviate the concern. I know quite a few businesses that market this way, but there is usually a catch involved with them. Have you ever seen the fish bowls at restaurants saying you could win lunch for up to so many people by dropping your biz card in. I know I`m going to win that 100% of the time as a third party company will fit the bill...catch is you and the group have to listen to their sales pitch at the beginning of lunch. Another one is the drawings you enter to win that "brand new car". Well I`ve never won the grand prize, but almost always can win a consolation prize like a $500 gift card, or a free trip somewhere...again the catch is you have to go hear a sales pitch from someone about their timeshares, or something of that nature.

The nice thing about Gary`s method is that there is no catch for the consumer. I think it`s still a good way of attaining new customers, and you could always include one of the statements mentioned above so it didn`t look deceiving. Gary, you`ll have to let us know how all this turns out for you, and if anyone mentions the multiple winners thing. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is a very clever idea. My first thought was about if there were multiple winners who knew each other, but "silverline" made some pretty good points about that. :2thumbs:
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is the owners option to give away as many $50 off coupons as he wants. Heck, I could say I felt like Santa at the Expo.

Post Thanks / Like
    All you have to do is change the sign from "WIN A $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE OFF A COMPLETE DETAIL" to "ENTER FOR A $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE...". Then you are not implying any limited number of winners, or any difference between "winners" and "losers". I don`t know why anyone would care how many people "won", as long as they got their discount, as long as it really *IS* a discount from the regular pricing. Anyway, Gary, I think it was genius!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    All you have to do is change the sign from "WIN A $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE OFF A COMPLETE DETAIL" to "ENTER FOR A $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE...". Then you are not implying any limited number of winners, or any difference between "winners" and "losers". I don`t know why anyone would care how many people "won", as long as they got their discount, as long as it really *IS* a discount from the regular pricing. Anyway, Gary, I think it was genius!
    Great idea!!....In the mean time your "press release" is...I had such a great time at the meeting I decided to give everyone a discount.
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like
    good plan almost ploy, i would possibly consider doing something of the same sort but after reading many many posts i think im the minority in the sense that i live in a small area and everyone in this town and surrounding areas know eachother and know who to call for a good job. i dont wanna give fifty bucks away.

Thread Information