Post Thanks / Like
    On a typical 4 door car with heavy swirls, how long does it take you to do an exterior detail including defect (swirls and scratches) removal. (presuming most people 1-wash, 2-clay, 3-compound, 4-polish, and 5-LSP).

For me, this procedure often runs 5 hours (and sometimes 6). I suppose I could speed things up by making less passes, but then I woudn`t be removing as many defects. I generally run the rotary at about 1800 rps which I think allow me to make fairly quick passes, but sometimes I wonder where the time goes?

A lot of people are surprised when I tell them it will take me most of the day to detail their car when they are paying to have it buffed out - I think they are used to the 3 hour "complete" detail typically offered elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say your estimate of five to hours is fairly accurate. I often times quote for 3.5-4 but lay down a LSP after four to five. Needless to say, it all depends on the vehicles` finish. I could fly through a 2001 black Accord but it might take me half a day on a 2004 white S70 Other variables I would have to consider are the environment I am working in, passer-byes steadily distracting me when working in a `lot, having to adjust my canopy every 20 minutes, difficulty choosing a pad/polish combo etc. I have always wanted to video myself doing a whole job so I could 1) see how many trips arounfd the vehicle I make 2) see what else I waste my time doing. There is (almost) always a faster way. . . right?!
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me 5 hours, including a quick lunch break to do the exterior of a Saturn Ion (4 door), with a brief interior vacuum and dash/glass wipe-down.

That included a QEW wash, dry, clay (wasn`t bad), removed a few paint overspray/tree sap spots, a pass around the whole car with SSR2.5 and the PC on 6, went back over the hood and roof again since they were swirled badly, then followed up with Meguiar`s NXT wax followed by Natty`s blue wax. Used a one-step foam to clean and dress the tires.

I was hurrying on that one since the sun was setting. I actually did the interior in the dark, which is scary, since you don`t know how it`s turning out. It was fine though. Not quite sure why I used two LSP`s since I was so short on time, but I was dying to put Natty`s on it. Made the flake really pop though.

Whatever the case may be though, work on quality before trying to make it quicker. Don`t skimp. It`s better for a customer to have to wait longer than for them to get a lousy quality job. Since I`m mobile, if I`m doing something that`ll take a while like an SUV, I try to push the fact that I can do a car while people are at work, so that time doesn`t matter so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. And Agreed

Pssstue...you made several good points I can identify with. I too am now mobile. Passerbyers - on the last two jobs I did, I literally booked 4 or 5 all day jobs on each, which of course took time away. Regarding the canapy - I gave up, as the shade never seemed to be under the car. A better solution (I think) that I want to try is one of those lateral arm awnings that go on trailers and 5th wheels - I figure I can mount it to my lumber rack on my detailing Tundra. They are huge, have electric pop out, don`t have any verticle support poles that will get in the way, and you can "wedge" the detailed vehicle between your own vehicle and the canapy so you have shade most of the day. Problem it...they appear to be almost $3K new. I`m looking for a used one. Lastly, you mentioned pad selection. My first 15 or 20 minutes of polishing often involves experimenting with pad and product combinations as you suggested - I`m always trying to find the strongest combo that won`t leave any rotary swirls on the given color and clear coat.

On all day jobs, I`ve started taking peoples vehicles to a garaged location I have access to, as I`m getting tired of chasing shade and trying to keep the vehicle`s surface clean of debris.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    A lot of people are surprised when I tell them it will take me most of the day to detail their car when they are paying to have it buffed out - I think they are used to the 3 hour "complete" detail typically offered elsewhere.

(Swirls and Scratch) removal is under the topic, “Paint Restoration†on our service menus, not under full detail. This is why client education is so important and why people pay a lot less for a Glaze Polish!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    A better solution (I think) that I want to try is one of those lateral arm awnings that go on trailers and 5th wheels . . . don`t have any verticle support poles that will get in the way, and you can "wedge" the detailed vehicle between your own vehicle and the canopy so you have shade most of the day. Problem it...they appear to be almost $3K new.

I work out of a Chevy Express with swing-out side doors. I have thought about your awning idea in the past but didn`t want to work on the side of my van that my doors are not. I try to keep my eyes on those doors as much as possible so I don`t have any snoopers. Between now and summer I plan on purchasing a 10` X 15` Eclipse Aluminum II with one side wall. I get pretty fatigued towards the end of the day during the summer months. Also, polishing the top of a full-sized SUV in some of these garages can get sort of awkward. Might be easier under this canopy. We`ll see.
    -Andrew.

Thread Information