Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Im at a point where I feel that I should pursue detailing as a career. I am currently fed up with my job and I am about ready to get serious about it. I am no pro but I am very familiar with the basics (no buffing exp). My question is how much should I expect to make detailing cars at a local Dodge dealer? I am currently only able to work nights so this job will fit into my schedule on a part time basis. I figure this would be the perfect opportunity for me to get experience that will be valuable for future endeavors.Thanks for any and all replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    about $7.00 p hour at dealership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottabir
    about $7.00 p hour at dealership.

That`s about right.

One thing to remember though, a dealership may not be the perfect place to learn detailing given that most dealerships have a tendency of doing rush jobs and assembly line work.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d avoid the dealership job to be honest with you. Dealership detailers aren`t paid much at all, and on top of that, they have to:

1.) Push out many cars per day, so speed is key, and

2.) Only have to make the car look good on the lot. You know the "shady" stereotype that dealerships have? There`s a reason they have that. Instead of properly correcting the paint, you`ll just be making it look good, which usually involves heavy glazes instead of buffing the paint to perfection.

In my opinion, all that a job at a dealership is going to give you is poor detailing skills. You`d be MUCH better off sticking around autopia and learning detailing from us. Learning from a dealership is going to be a huge step in the wrong direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    What they said. Personally, I`d never hire someone who learned how to detail at a dealership. Too hard to undo the bad habits.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice, Im just gonna keep doing it on the side and learn as much as I can from this forum but I still cant stand my job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu2detail
    Thanks for the advice, Im just gonna keep doing it on the side and learn as much as I can from this forum but I still cant stand my job.

That`s the way to go.

Besides, if you enjoy detailing and want to learn it, chances are that once you do it working at a dealership, it`ll just end up making you hate detailing all together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu2detail

I couldn`t stand my job either but to get my business going, I had to put up with it another year. Pursue your passion and you will have a lot more satisfying work career.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to work at a car dealer myself. And it is 7 to 8 dollars an hour and sometimes you do work that is not detailer related. But the best advice that I can give you is always go to a shop that has full equipment. Also having the right detail mananger and experienced help to teach you is the biggest key of all.I learned how to use a rotary at a dealership. Speed is a big thing at a dealership but you don`t want come backs it hurt`s CSI. Also the number of cars a day is not the same day to day or week to week.Sometimes you do have a lot of time to work on a car. The other guys who have responded to you so far have good advice but, how many of them have actually worked at a dealership or have been detail managers themsevles. Listen either way you go is good but either way you have to always improve yourself anyway.Working at a good dealership and hanging out here is a sure bet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by saturn2
    how many of them have actually worked at a dealership or have been detail managers themsevles.

I have seen enough horribly rotary swirled cars my customer have had prepped at the dealer to know that at least in the Dallas area, there do not seem to be any competent detailing going on at any DFW area dealership.
    www.scottwax.com

Effort Pa/Stroudsburg Area just over the NJ border.
    Post Thanks / Like
    you make as much as you want to make in this business. I know a detailer who pushed his small company to the next level and makes over 1 million a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quamen
    you make as much as you want to make in this business. I know a detailer who pushed his small company to the next level and makes over 1 million a year.
    I`d like not know more about this. What`s the operation consist of?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    that guy probably started solo, then as business expanded, hired a few more people. As the business grew larger he probably gave up detailing all together and took on an executive position. But that would be my guess.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Effort Pa/Stroudsburg Area just over the NJ border.
    Post Thanks / Like
    detail king. started out by scrubbing cars, people say it is luck tht is not the case. Determination is key and he also failed a business coarse he tried to take to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not enough. I am not sure why they do not get paid alot more. Maybe that is why it is so hard to find a good one. to do a car right it really takes a full day and most places cannot charge more than 150 to 200 dollars. It is pretty hard to make money at that rate. Look at what mechanics get an hour. I think if detailers were able to charge 400 bucks a car you would see alot more people doing it and much better quality work. But for some reason people do not care if their car shines but yet are willing to pay exuberant prices for other things. Did you ever see the Detailer to the Stars on MTV, he even put Evian in the WS washer. I wonder what he charges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information