Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    All of my current clients allow me to use their water and electricity. I do have a trailer with a water tank, however that part is not complete. It is mounted along w/ the pressure washer. For electricity, a freind gave me a generator, only problem is that it is pretty darn heavy (plus I have to rebuild the carborator). For Christmas, my father bought me a power inverter. A freind of his has a business where they use these instead of the generators b/c they are less noisy. I can see his point, a generator is pretty loud, wheras w/ the power inverter my truck would be running, which is more quiet. My truck is a toyota 4 banger, so, not sure if there is a huge gas usage difference. If I go this route, I`ll mount it in my cab an run wire out to my hitch for easy access. Any suggestions or pro`s cons of this idea would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie B.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the inverter would put too much of a strain on your trucks alternator. Is the inverter large enough to run a polisher, your vac and extractor?

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Ron, you`d need a hefty inverter to run your vacuum and you will probably have to upgrade your alternator to handle the load.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Honda EU2000i. Expensive unit but very quiet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have experience with inverters. I currently own a 1500 watt inverter with a maximum of 2500 watts. This inverter can effectively run my water pump, PC, and small tools, but it definitely can not run my vacuum cleaner. I will be in the market for a generator soon but I have the same concern as far as it being too loud. Those Honda quiet generators seem perfect but are pretty pricey. I just saw an ad for Pepboys for a 3500 watt inverter, but I wouldn`t even think twice about putting that on my little Chevy Tracker!! :bolt
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    if you upgraded to a high output alternator (like what they use in high end car audio applications) could a 4 cylinder at idle provide the necessary power to run a vacuum, pc, etc (separately I mean)?
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    and also, hardwire it to the electrical system using 6 guage or heavier.

Post Thanks / Like
    What if you use a separate battery and a recharger?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info guys, I`m probably going to look into the honda. Not sure if I`m going to keep the inverter or not. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    many high end car audio systems have upgraded alternators and then multiple batteries via battery isolators.

Some of the high-end alternators put out 150A of current (at 14v) which is a total output of 2100 watts. Most german factory alternators put out 90A at 14v = 1260 watts, and most import economy cars have alternators in the 50A range x 14 v = 700 watts. Note that these ratings for the alternators are at higher engine RPMs and at idle you will likely get far less output.

Also remember, like car stereos, many of these inverters are advertising `maximum`, unsustained output. You would be hard pressed to have an inverter put out 3500 watts continuous unless you put in an alternator from a fire truck under your hood.
    I don`t want my LSP to last... detailing is my therapy.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65879

I ran through a quick calculation on using a PC through an inverter in the above thread. Not much you can do with a cigarette lighter plug inverter (other than a light). Batteries have a pretty good storage capacity, you can probably get away with occasional short-term use of the correctly sized / wired inverter with your engine off. Many inverters have a low voltage detection circuit that will shut down before the battery gets too low to crank the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbody
    All of my current clients allow me to use their water and electricity.

Maybe it would be better to keep it simple and continue to use your client`s water and electricity.

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently use a 1750 watt power inverter to power all of my equipment from my buffers, vacuum, and small steamer. To be successful using an inverter you need to use a seperate b power source other than your vehicle battery.

The best setup to use is four marine batteries to power your equipment. Marine batteries provide a steady stream of current that will not spike up or down and cause your equipment to operate inefficiently. I connect about two to four batteries in a series to extend the amp hours of the batteries, this prevents me from having to change batteries during my work day and slow me down.

I had a generator in my early days but I deceided that I did not want to work around all the noise and I did not want to drive around with the gas fumes. I recharge my batteries about every three days to keep them fully charged.

I suggest that you purchase a Xantrax power inverter I have a 12 volt unit but I am switching to a 24 volt unit later this year to increase a load capacity. The unit that I use is priced at $299.99 and it has served me without fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Took the words right out of my mouth.

2 Good sized marine deep cycle batteries will run you around $80 each, and a 1500 watt inverter shouldn`t cost much more than the batteries. This method will be quiet as it gets, although you`ll probably need to put the batteries on a good 10 amp charger after a day of detailing.

Keep the deep cycles charged as much as possible (don`t forget to keep the fluids topped if they are low-maint) and they`ll last at least 3 years (depends on the mfg). Compare this to the cost of running a generator that you`ll have to refuel and maintain more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ezragipson2001
    ... I connect about two to four batteries in a series to extend the amp hours of the batteries...

I think the batteries should be connected in parallel, and NOT in series.
    I don`t want my LSP to last... detailing is my therapy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information