Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review-The Belt

Post Thanks / Like

Review-The Belt

I was lucky enough to be chosen to test The Belt by Nick in the(somewhat)recent giveaway. Sorry it took so long to get my review out, I had to delay receiving the belt as I was moving into college at the time, and then it rained a ton once I got it.

Thankfully I got the chance to test it out this weekend in my dad`s truck.

Before I get into my review, here is the product description as taken from the AG store:

It’s the next best thing to having Mike Phillips as your assistant!

The Belt makes detailing easier, plain and simple. I worked with a good friend and long-time customer of Autogeek to aid in the development of The Belt, making sure that it was absolutely perfect. Perfect is a strong word, a definitive to some…but to me the word perfect means the best, and that’s what The Belt stands for in this industry. It is arguably the best detailing accessory you’ll ever purchase – bar none. Use it once and you’ll wonder how you ever detailed your vehicle without it.

First and foremost, The Belt is a time saver. Thanks to its abundance of pockets that hold bottles ranging from 8 oz. to 32 oz., you’ll always have your polish, microfiber towel, roll of tape, or extra buffing pad right by your side – literally! The Belt is stylish(I have to disagree with this, sorry), functional and it screams “professional,” which is especially important for detailers trying to make a lasting impression on their customers.

Work smart, not hard. That was the mindset during the development of The Belt. Because after all, how many times do you have to stop what you’re doing, put down the polisher, and try and find the towel you need to wipe off the polish, or the bottle of polish that you need to reload your pad! This is a frustration that we ALL experience, one that is solved by The Belt.

The features that make The Belt everything that it is:

• Cord Wrangler Loop: To keep your buffer cord in place behind your back. Can also be used as a towel loop.

• Adjustable Belt : For waists up to 43", no plastic or metal buckles that can scratch paint.

• Car-Paint-Friendly Soft Cotton Fabric : The Belt was specifically designed to be paint-friendly, no metal, plastic, or harsh fabric has been used, so you can keep your paint scratch-free!

• Mix-and-Match: Each bag goes on individually, so you can mix and match to your perfect setup for that day’s job. Whether it’s one bag or all four, Detailer’s Helper will help you get the job done better and faster!

• Machine Washable: The Belt is made of a pure cotton blend, making it perfectly safe to machine wash. Slung around and stuck on product doesn`t have to hinder The Belt`s appearance!

• Light Weight: Unlike a large construction or leather belt, The Belt is light weight, you actually forget you’re wearing it! It weighs less than a pound!

Sorry that I don`t have any pics, but I will say that I arranged my pockets in the same way that Mike Phillips did in his review on The Belt when it was first announced.

In total, I gave the truck a much needed wash(it`s been at least a month and a half and several hundred miles in LOTS of rain and roads under construction). After the bath I applied a coat of MEGS #7 glaze to fill in minor imperfections and enhance gloss(really does well at gloss enhancement on dark colors. The truck is a dark metallic blue)and topped with Chemical Guys M-Sealer for some durable protection until I can get around to correcting and coating it this winter.

I used The Belt primarily after the wash. I applied both the glaze, and the sealant by machine to give me a chance to put the cord loop to the test.

I`ll start my opinions with that, the cord loop. It is a really great idea.

The problem I ran into was that it is actually kinda impractical unless you have somewhere to set the buffer down right next to you. Otherwise to have enough room to move around without dragging your buffer all over the garage you have to put a pretty decent length of cord through the loop. The problem I ran into with this is, it can turn into a tripping hazard if you are applying a coat of something to the whole car.

I`m sure it`s more geared towards paint correction where you are in pretty much one spot at a time, and believe that it would work better for this application, but I still feel like one would be fighting with the cord in some way. This is a new concept, having the cord hooked to your back, and I`m sure it would be possible to get used to it, but about halfway through applying the sealant I got fed up with it and had to take it off.

Next I will talk about the strap itself. I felt that it was very durable, and am confident that it would last for quite a long time.

However, since this is something you wear around your wait when detailing a car with scratch-sensitive paint, it made me nervous with how rough and hard the material was even though I am careful when working on a car. That said, I didn`t experience any issues with it rubbing up against the paint and scratching it.

The pockets:

Again, they feel very durable, and well-constructed. They are significantly softer than the velcro strap that goes around your waist, but still not anywhere near as soft as microfiber. Truth be told, I never read the product description before opening my box, and was expecting the pockets to be made out of either microfiber, or something quite similar. However, they really aren`t that soft.

The Belt as a whole:

To be honest, I felt it as if The Belt got in the way and frustrated me more than adding convenience. There`s nowhere to put your buffer on The Belt when you`re not using it(i.e. wiping off product), the material seems way too harsh for working around paint, and it really wasn`t that comfortable to wear if I`m being totally honest.

I was quite disappointed with this product. I really wanted to like it, and truly thought I would, but for me it did not meet my expectations at all. Also, looking at the price-point of $60(definitely get a kit, but even then, some of the kits don`t seem quite worth it), it seems way overpriced, especially on it`s own.

I personally would not purchase this item after testing it, nor would I recommend it to my fellow `geeks unfortunately.

I hope this review helps some people out, and if you have any questions, please let me know! I`d be more than happy to answer anything I missed in my write-up.

Thanks again to Nick for the opportunity to test this out, and for being so accommodating with me having to delay shipment!!

Likes Stokdgs, The Guz, rlmccarty2000, Ronkh, Bunky and 2 others liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, The Guz, rlmccarty2000, Ronkh, Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review-The Belt

I wonder why they released this,when the Detailer`s Helper black belt was already out and they seem to be the exact same except for color, and personally, black looks a lot more professional than a bright blue belt around the waist. I personally like mine and i found it convenient when doing a rinseless wash/clay/sealant on a vehicle not too long ago. I haven`t tried the cord strap and i doubt i will because of the reasons you mentioned, it just seems inconvenient.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I wonder why they released this,when the Detailer`s Helper black belt was already out and they seem to be the exact same except for color, and personally, black looks a lot more professional than a bright blue belt around the waist. I personally like mine and i found it convenient when doing a rinseless wash/clay/sealant on a vehicle not too long ago. I haven`t tried the cord strap and i doubt i will because of the reasons you mentioned, it just seems inconvenient.
    This is actually made by Detailer`s Helper, the tags on the pockets say so at least.

I`m sure some people would like this, but it is definitely not for me. I also think the materials definitely need to be more appropriate for detailing.
    Likes Migue, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great review, ViperGuy21 !
    Very well thought out and backed up with real time experience on vehicles..

I will also never have one of these things..

Prefer instead to use one of several very soft microfiber aprons with the standard 2 pockets in front..
    Plain, simple, wont hurt the finish if I brush up against it accidently, way cheaper, easy to wash...

I solve the where to put the tools challenge by having a very nice black plastic heavy duty rolling cart next to the vehicle rolling with with all the things I need on the top and bottom shelves, and Im good..

The "where to put the power cord of the rotary" is the old standard of decades - over your shoulder and let it hang down your back -..
    It never gets in the way, I always know where it is, and it is easy to slide off and put the Makita on the Cart when I need to quit holding 10lbs for awhile..

My process is to totally prepare the vehicle - completely - before - I get to the correction process, so I really dont need a lot of things I forgot to do in the first place, hanging around my waist...

If I need a lot of things for another process, like washing for example, then again, the rolling cart loaded with all the things you will need for that stage is there next to your work, and its easily moved around and now you are Really looking Professional...
    Dan F
    Likes ViperGuy21, Civicclutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I recall seeing the tag on it, so it makes it even more confusing to be honest....like, what is the point of this version and the introduction of it on the other site like it`s any different? Maybe one day we`ll know.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m sure someone might like it, but I`m too set in my ways to change now. If I was doing production work where I couldn`t take a break it might help. I keep my detail cart prepped with everything in need for my job and I really don`t want bottles hanging from my waist. I think the detailers apron made from microfiber is the best way to go. I hope these don`t wind up as future "mystery box" items. Lol
    Likes Stokdgs, texasgibby, ViperGuy21 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Viper guy

send me the belt, I can use it
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I`m sure someone might like it, but I`m too set in my ways to change now. If I was doing production work where I couldn`t take a break it might help. I keep my detail cart prepped with everything in need for my job and I really don`t want bottles hanging from my waist. I think the detailers apron made from microfiber is the best way to go. I hope these don`t wind up as future "mystery box" items. Lol
    The pb micro apron is Awesome
    It also holds things
    I put a brush in there, my polish, a towel, and it will even hold your ibird nano for you, lol

And it gets better....its made from their ww micro material so you can use it too!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes ViperGuy21, rlmccarty2000, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Viper guy

send me the belt, I can use it
    Sent you a PM on AG

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t imagine trying to work with something hanging off my waist. Would drive me nuts. Thanks for the review
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes ViperGuy21, rlmccarty2000, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    The pb micro apron is Awesome
    It also holds things
    Yes, it is definitely size for a larger person with big pockets and soft.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes Stokdgs, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I can`t imagine trying to work with something hanging off my waist. Would drive me nuts. Thanks for the review
    I thought it was a neat concept, and hoped it would work out, but unfortunately it did not.

No problem!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post

I`ll start my opinions with that, the cord loop. It is a really great idea. ...

This is a new concept, having the cord hooked to your back, and I`m sure it would be possible to get used to it...

I doubt it`s a new concept. When I first started doing paint correction, for some odd reason I kept having issues with the cord falling off my shoulder. I tried both sides, and I just couldn`t get it to sit right. Sloping shoulders? Anyway, I came up with a solution that actually kept the cord in place. I used two of these cheap aluminum hooks. Hooked together, one end to my belt loop on my pants, and the other with the big side hanging down. The lower one had to be BIG so I can easily get the cord in and out without fuss.

And since I was new and learning, I wanted to be even more sure that I wouldn`t get the cord dragging on the car. So I used this thing, Stanley Hang All, and wrapped it around my arm with the Velcro strap portion, and used the hook for the cord. This kept the cord up against my arm. Coupled with the aluminum hooks behind my back, my cord was kept close to my body and I didn`t have an issue.

Eventually, I ditched the Hang All. The hook part was just too tight for some cords, and cumbersome. Extra work just to "unhook" myself when I needed to put the polisher down. Down the road, I also ditched the aluminum hooks. Now I just wrap the cords around my neck. No, I`m just kidding.

To be honest, I felt it as if The Belt got in the way and frustrated me more than adding convenience. ... and it really wasn`t that comfortable to wear if I`m being totally honest.
    Thank you so much for keeping it real !!

I was quite disappointed with this product. I really wanted to like it, and truly thought I would, but for me it did not meet my expectations at all. Also, looking at the price-point of $60(definitely get a kit, but even then, some of the kits don`t seem quite worth it), it seems way overpriced, especially on it`s own.
    I`ve actually got ideas for similar "belts" from other areas. You can get similar belts, but different of course, for cheaper. Some are made for gardening. If you wanted a simple pouch solution, I found that you can get a paintball (from the paintball sport) belt with pouch made for holding hoppers (the tubes that hold paintballs). These seem to hold 16oz bottles pretty good. Well, the cylindrical type ones like Poorboy`s.

Yeah I`m too poor (or cheap, whatever) to pay $60 for a belt!

Thank you for this review! And for the honesty!
    Likes ViperGuy21, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

I doubt it`s a new concept. When I first started doing paint correction, for some odd reason I kept having issues with the cord falling off my shoulder. I tried both sides, and I just couldn`t get it to sit right. Sloping shoulders? Anyway, I came up with a solution that actually kept the cord in place. I used two of these cheap aluminum hooks. Hooked together, one end to my belt loop on my pants, and the other with the big side hanging down. The lower one had to be BIG so I can easily get the cord in and out without fuss.

And since I was new and learning, I wanted to be even more sure that I wouldn`t get the cord dragging on the car. So I used this thing, Stanley Hang All, and wrapped it around my arm with the Velcro strap portion, and used the hook for the cord. This kept the cord up against my arm. Coupled with the aluminum hooks behind my back, my cord was kept close to my body and I didn`t have an issue.

Eventually, I ditched the Hang All. The hook part was just too tight for some cords, and cumbersome. Extra work just to "unhook" myself when I needed to put the polisher down. Down the road, I also ditched the aluminum hooks. Now I just wrap the cords around my neck. No, I`m just kidding.

Thank you so much for keeping it real !!

I`ve actually got ideas for similar "belts" from other areas. You can get similar belts, but different of course, for cheaper. Some are made for gardening. If you wanted a simple pouch solution, I found that you can get a paintball (from the paintball sport) belt with pouch made for holding hoppers (the tubes that hold paintballs). These seem to hold 16oz bottles pretty good. Well, the cylindrical type ones like Poorboy`s.

Yeah I`m too poor (or cheap, whatever) to pay $60 for a belt!

Thank you for this review! And for the honesty!
    I like that carabiner solution, much more convenient than the velcro loop!

No problem!

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone else would like to try The Belt out for themselves, I`d be more than happy to pass it along if you would be open to sending me some products/tools/equipment to try out
    Likes JustJesus, rlmccarty2000, Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information