Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant test on Acura TSX

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Can see a vast difference from cancoat side of hood to others.
    Other than the vast differences shown in the pictures taken after heavy rain?

The sheeting is totally different while driving. The brand new Cancoat side continually creates medium sized beads from the rain while the car is in motion. These beads then move their way up the hood until they fall off.

Cosmic and OC shed the first load of water while driving and then seemed to remain totally clean except a very slow build up of tiny, micro-beads. It’s as if the rain was just bouncing off and no longer accumulating once the hood was 90% cleared of the water that accumulated prior to driving. Only small splatters causing the very tiny beads remained on the hood from then on.

So in summary, while standing still, Cancoat has smaller tighter beads. But while in motion, Cancoat puts on a nice looking bead show, but Cosmic and OC sheet the water off once and then nothing sticks to it except minuscule beads for the rest of the drive.

So bead beauty goes to fresh Cancoat.

Sheeting goes to 2.5 month old Cosmic and OC.

How long have the Kami and PA been on?
    2.5 months
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant test on Acura TSX

Is that on top of a coated surface?

That`s pretty impressive beading for 2.5 month old Cosmic. Initial performance unquestionable but generally for me it wouldn`t perform as well for as long, even on test panels.. now starting to wonder I`m doing wrong SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant test on Acura TSX

I`m washing weekly with the advertised dilution of CarPro Reset. Panel not under a tree or subject to any obvious contamination though temperatures fluctuating between 7 and 13 degrees celcius at the mo.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Is that on top of a coated surface?

That`s pretty impressive beading for 2.5 month old Cosmic. Initial performance unquestionable but generally for me it wouldn`t perform as well for as long, even on test panels.. now starting to wonder I`m doing wrong SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant test on Acura TSX

I`m washing weekly with the advertised dilution of CarPro Reset. Panel not under a tree or subject to any obvious contamination though temperatures fluctuating between 7 and 13 degrees celcius at the mo.
    These are not on coated surfaces. Bottom of the hood has Essence underneath though.

Im also washing with Reset 1:500 and car lives outside. Although the temperatures it’s dealt with haven’t been as hot as summertime (applies in late August), it’s gone through the typical northeast late summer and fall. Although not a ton of rain in western PA this year.

I doubt you’re doing it wrong, it’s so easy to apply. But this is 2 coats applied at the beginning. Results are so dependent on paint, weather, washing, etc.

Also note that my hose tests show these are not anywhere near initial strength, even though they are holding up well overall.

Post Thanks / Like

My car sits more in rain than driving (8 hrs a day at work)Most Lsp’s will evacuate water in a drive.

In my experience my coated parts of car evacuate water faster when driving or blowing off faster than Cosmic and OC.

I have CqUk3 under Cancoat so that may be the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My car sits more in rain than driving (8 hrs a day at work)Most Lsp’s will evacuate water in a drive.

In my experience my coated parts of car evacuate water faster when driving or blowing off faster than Cosmic and OC.

I have CqUk3 under Cancoat so that may be the difference.
    Is Cosmic and OC on top of a coating as well when it sheets water slower than the rest of the coating? Or are they standalone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Is Cosmic and OC on top of a coating as well when it sheets water slower than the rest of the coating? Or are they standalone?
    Stand alone. Didn’t coat the hood to try out different products. Oc and Cosmic definitely perform best as a stand alone sealant of what I have tried.

Anything i put on the cQuK3/Cancoat combo performs the same as the coating,

That is what leads me to believe toppers don’t affect coating performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Goes back to the good old debate of whether they actually adhere to the coating at all...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Goes back to the good old debate of whether they actually adhere to the coating at all...

I believe they may add some base Sio2. I can tell that visually they do make a difference. If it were just protection I was after i probably wouldn’t do it.

But the other side of detailing other than protection is the way the car looks and visually topping does makecthe car look better.

Post Thanks / Like

But the other side of detailing other than protection is the way the car looks and visually topping does makecthe car look better.
    Yeah, I’ve seen obvious visual differences when applying toppers such as PA High Gloss or PA Carnauba Arts. I thought it was so weird when I topped High Gloss on Cancoat and the sharper difference that High Gloss does well was there, but beading was tighter than High Gloss had ever been on it’s own for me. When topping it tends to keep similar or identical beading to the coating underneath. Coatings=crack here got me on board with the idea of toppers on coatings and why the coating base keeps the beading at a high level. WillSports3 had some in depth thoughts on the same topic.

I now have a coated car in the driveway and I’ve been playing around with toppers and I still believe the topper is adhering but the beading remains as good as the underlying coating. Surface also gets slicker (which seems more concrete evidence of topper adhering than visual appearance. But even visually, adding PA Rapidwaxx or Black Wulfenite for instance is an easy way to see the look become smoother, instantly and stay that way for some time.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You can almost tell where you had taped the trunk

Post Thanks / Like

Update 11/23/2020 (3 months):

Lots of rain and weather changes happening. Below pic was taken after a day of heavy rain. The Cosmic and OC still look decent after a rain but they did slow done noticeably in the sheeting department after the last wash.

The back trunk products are still looking good. Sorry I forgot to snap a pic but still wanted to update.

Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

3 month (second update):

On 11/23 I decided to wash the car later, after the above update. Below pics are after washing with Reset and rinsing on ‘flat’ setting:

HOOD
    Reference:

Rinse:

Again:

Top of the hood sheeting fairly slowly. Middle and bottom still sheeting decent but beads are less attractive. Seems like Cosmic might be performing a hair better than OC on this day (to my eyes).

1) Cosmic
    2) Overcoat

TRUNK
    Reference:

Rinse:

Again:

Trunk still beading and sheeting great. I give Griots 3-1 the edge (Cancoat doesn’t count), it may be benefitting from it’s adjacent pal Cancoat pushing water momentum it’s way but it either way it sheets a second faster and looks the cleanest after each spray. IGL and Drexler look equal.

I’ll try to remember to test these trunk sections individually next update.

1) Griots 3-1
    T-2) IGL
    T-2) Drexler

Post Thanks / Like

Update 12/5/2020 (3.5 months):

After the below hose test after a wash, I decided to end the hood Cosmic/Overcoat Test. They are sheeting very slow and although they seem to still be present, I wanted to get new protection on there before things become frigid.

Hood:

I give the slight durability edge to Cosmic. There is water on the right side of these pictures, mid-hood that sheets the slowest on the Overcoat side.

The trunk products are still in good shape (minus DPC which I removed for Cancoat winter protection) and that test will continue. Here was the latest including sections:

Trunk:

IGL Premier:

Drexler:

Griots

Seems like Griots might be in a slight lead. Overall, they are all impressive and sheeting most water off within seconds.
    Thanks JRW67 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Update 12/5/2020 (3.5 months):

After the below hose test after a wash, I decided to end the hood Cosmic/Overcoat Test. They are sheeting very slow and although they seem to still be present, I wanted to get new protection on there before things become frigid.

Hood:

I give the slight durability edge to Cosmic. There is water on the right side of these pictures, mid-hood that sheets the slowest on the Overcoat side.

The trunk products are still in good shape (minus DPC which I removed for Cancoat winter protection) and that test will continue. Here was the latest including sections:

Trunk:

IGL Premier:

Drexler:

Griots

Seems like Griots might be in a slight lead. Overall, they are all impressive and sheeting most water off within seconds.
    I definitely think if value is included.... the Griots is best I’ve used. It’s hanging with premier... gotta say something.

Post Thanks / Like

Final Update 1/14/2020 (4.75 months):

Washed with Reset. The 3 remaining products on the trunk are ~85% degraded if I had to guess a number. That’s enough for me to move on from the test, especially given winter conditions that could abuse my poorly-protected paint.

Reference pic

Pics from post-wash

Flat spray setting on the hose:

Shower setting on hose, which causes water to lie on top and makes degraded protection show it’s worst water behavior:

Middle-right of the trunk is newer Cancoat and doesn’t count in this test.

If I’m picking the final water behavior at this time, after 4.75 months of summer/fall/early winter, I’m going with the following:

1) Griots 3-1 - sheeted the fastest with both spray settings. Probably 2-3 seconds faster than #2 below. Still looks decent beading after rain.

2) Drexler- sheeted the second fastest with both spray settings. Probably 1-2 seconds faster than #3 below. Still looks decent beading after rain.

3) IGL Premier- sheeted the slowest with both spray settings. Not much slower than the others, but 2 to 5 seconds and therefore noticeable. Still looks decent beading after rain.

Overall I’m impressed that these lasted close to 5 months on the trunk lid. They took the brunt of late summer heat, some mild fall weather and then some decent snows and saltines in the winter so far. Being the trunk, it probably takes the least salt spray of any horizontal surfaces... but given this paint doesn’t always hold LSPs very well, these three certainly performed well. I would have no problem recommending any of the three for an easy way to protect your car well for 3-4 months or longer in my SW PA climate.

Griots holding up the best at it’s price of $20 ($15 on sale for most of us) says a lot about the quality of this product over time. A very good value.

Thanks for reading!
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information