Would this be a good starting point?

Griot`s PFM Towel combo
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Desperately need new microfibers ...

I would recommend the PFM’s a drying towel.

I use all others from the rag company. The EAgle edgeless 500’s are awesome get 5-10. I use them for rinseless/waterless washes,

I use their 350 for sealant application removal and then final buff with the EE. If you don’t mind spending the money their Everest are my jack of all trade towels. The ones i have seem to be discontinued as the were a 7-800gsm weight. The 1100 and the 550’s are probably just as awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I would recommend the PFM’s a drying towel.

I use all others from the rag company. The EAgle edgeless 500’s are awesome get 5-10. I use them for rinseless/waterless washes,

I use their 350 for sealant application removal and then final buff with the EE. If you don’t mind spending the money their Everest are my jack of all trade towels. The ones i have seem to be discontinued as the were a 7-800gsm weight. The 1100 and the 550’s are probably just as awesome

So the Eagle Edgeless is a good one for polish & wax (including spray waxes?) removal? Which color should I get? The price for 5 doesn`t seem too bad, I can easily see myself ordering at least 10. What about a good microfiber detergent to add to the wash?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    So the Eagle Edgeless is a good one for polish & wax (including spray waxes?) removal? Which color should I get? The price for 5 doesn`t seem too bad, I can easily see myself ordering at least 10. What about a good microfiber detergent to add to the wash?
    I like light color for rinseless/waterless washes to see dirt. For wax/polish/sealant removal i don’t really care and all colors are same in towel structure.

For polishes and wax I like the Everest a little better due to the shorter pile.

Post Thanks / Like

Polish and wax towels: The Rag Company Edgeless 365
    Drying: Griot`s PFM
    QD/Spray Wax/Rinseless Wash: TRC Edgeless 350. The 500 is another good option.

Not sure what else you are looking for.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes RMD liked this post
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not as picky as others here about what I use for what (other than glass and Drying), generally preferring more plush ones for everything than many people..so I won`t offer specific recommendations as others are covering that better anyhow.

But I will say that I want *light color* MFs for *everything*. I want to see any contamination on any MF right away, and most contamination shows up best for me on light ones.

And I will say that much as I like supporting GG, I`d sure look into The Rag Company and others (Microfiber Madness-!pricey but good! and MicrofiberTech-dot-com comes to mind). PakShack used to be a go-to for nearly everybody, and I have no issues with the stuff I have from them, but gee you never hear that name any more.

Hey, IIRC that Everest is on 24hr sale at Detailed Image today.

Post Thanks / Like

This is kind of a loaded question, IMO. It depends on what purpose you are looking to use the MF for. For drying, I use Woobie Blue high pile MF. For removal of compounds I use the Detail King Green MF; For waxes, polishes and ceramic coatings, I use Cobra White Edgeless low pile towels. For quick detailers, I use the Woobie Blue high pile. For cleaning windows, I use the Cobra White Edgeless first and then final "buff" with the Woobie. I like these towels because they are very soft, good quality and are edgeless (meaning they have no thread on the edges.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is getting confusing!

I occasionally use a fairly heavy polish once or twice a year (right now it`s been the Hybrid Solutions Polish and Wax) but I primarily use spray sealants and quick detail sprays - I mostly only do my car, but occasionally I will do a family member`s car.

My needs are simple. One or two medium sized drying towels, medium because I keep hearing the large ones get unwieldy and aren`t good for tight areas and since I`ve started to blow dry the car, I don`t need a big drying towel.

I need a few towels that are good for removing polishes/com.pounds and a bunch of towels for spray sealants and QDs. If these don`t work well for windows, I`ll need some glass towels too.

I was thinking that TRC and Griots would be my bet bet, but after Mike Phillips said how much he likes the COBRA towels ... well now I don`t know.

More confused than ever ....
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I occasionally use a fairly heavy polish once or twice a year (right now it`s been the Hybrid Solutions Polish and Wax) but I primarily use spray sealants and quick detail sprays - I mostly only do my car, but occasionally I will do a family member`s car.

My needs are simple. One or two medium sized drying towels, medium because I keep hearing the large ones get unwieldy and aren`t good for tight areas and since I`ve started to blow dry the car, I don`t need a big drying towel.

I need a few towels that are good for removing polishes/com.pounds and a bunch of towels for spray sealants and QDs. If these don`t work well for windows, I`ll need some glass towels too.

I was thinking that TRC and Griots would be my bet bet, but after Mike Phillips said how much he likes the COBRA towels ... well now I don`t know.

I use the TW HS Polish/Wax. For that, I have used the Cobra White MF.
    For the glass, I will use the Cobra White initially and then buff away haze with the Woobie Blue.

The Cobra Whites are very nice MF`s. I agree that I do not like large towels. The standard 12x12, 18x18 are sufficient. I think the larger ones are just too hard to work with. I hope this helps. Keep an eye on AG. They sometimes have really good sales on MF`s.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is apparently my day for numerous "Sorta Random Thoughts Follow" posts on the subject of MFs! Here are some more:

-I too utterly despise larger towels, period. I`d much rather get out (and launder/dry/fold/put away/etc. etc. ) numerous smaller ones. But hey..personal preference and all that

-I`d sure want more than one MF Drying Towel no matter what, and that "want more" applies to the others in that GG assortment too, if only because, uhm...[stuff] happens, and usually at the worst possible moment, so between that and the size of the Drying Towel that PFM assortment wouldn`t work for me. And I bet a little research could result in a better batch for that ~$100 (though I`d be prepared to spend more if really revamping a MF stash)

-I always wonder which brand of towels did [INSERT any renowned authority`s name HERE] liked when at his previous employer. YES, that probably sounds a bit snarky, which I do *NOT* intend NO, it`s not a dig at anybody in particular, *certainly not at somebody like Mike, whom I highly esteem*, just something I`d think about before taking the word of anybody who owns/works for any Detailing-centric business, and that applies to a lot more than just MF towels. Seems obvious but does bear mentioning now and then

-The only MFs that don`t lint on glass for me are a handful of my MFs for Glass, and eventually those have always linted too. SO FAR my GG PFMs for Glass do *NOT* lint at all and I do simply love them despite their being *too small* even for me (which is a new one for me since I like small MFs! I immediately ordered a bunch more of `em so I wouldn`t be laundering them all the time). Yes, all but one of my WWMFs now lint on glass too, and I`m gonna be watching for it with that one too

-Unless you need something Right Now, I`d sure wait for a sale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

-Unless you need something Right Now, I`d sure wait for a sale
    In a way, I do ... the ones I have now are garbage and I don`t even want to use them on any part of my car.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Desperately need new microfibers ...

Wait for an autogeek 20/25% off sale.

Order a pack of the Mike Phillips recommended green the are nice for sealant and wax removal

https://www.autogeek.net/mf-green-12.html

Get some The Rag Comapany Eagle Edgeless 500. Good for rinseless/waterless washes, quick detailers and final buffs. I’d recommend 5-10 at minimum

https://www.autogeek.net/rc-eagle-ed...ue-5-pack.html

For drying these PFM’s are only left on the AG but a great size for handling

https://www.autogeek.net/gr-55504.html

I also like to use a couple of 16x16 when using a drying aid

https://www.autogeek.net/griots-pfm-2pack.html

If wanting to spend more and dig deeper i only use EE for rinseless/waterless/quickdetailing for sealant applying and final buffs im a fan of the shorter buttersoft nap of TRC Everest

https://www.autogeek.net/rc-everest-...te-5-pack.html

Also not available from Autogeek are The Rag Company 365 gsm. Feel their similar to the Cobra forrest green

You will be happy with any of these towels. I did what you are doing now a year and a half ago and these were all recommended, well by a-lot of people who are recommending to you now. Non of these towels disappoint.

The everest is one you can wait on as i really only use them for final buff mainly but are, i feel, the best at that.

The TRC 365’s and Cobra Edgeless are,again, interchangeable i feel and the cobra’s are $20 for 12 and the 365’s or about same price for 10.

The cobra are 75/25 and ?gsm (not listed on site).
    The 365’s are 70/30 365gsm.

If you car about where maid i believe all The Rag Company’s towels listed are from South Korea except the 365’s

These and all others listed I believe are from China.

Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t tried these but they look promising:
    Link removed, McKee’s has distanced themselves from the PBMG family.

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    Here`s a link to a thread I started in January 2017 about this very concern you have: What Microfibers do Autopians use for specific detailing tasks?
    There may be a few newer microfibers available now, but the info is still worth looking at.
    Favorite Microfiber for Specific Detailing Task List (Autopian Suggestions)
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Eagles also and they`re a fine towel. I`m sometimes on the search for a good, moderately-priced towel and stumbled upon one here that has become my favorite for waterless washes and QD work:https://www.autopia-carcare.com/edgeless-towel.html#.Xo-alpkpBnI
    Their level of absorbency just seems to be just right for QD and WW work, to wipe dry without unnecessary pressure and no streaking.
    I have both a black BC/CC DD, as well as my single-stage OEM Burgundy lacquer El Camino, so I`m picky about the towels I use and these have proven to do well.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information