Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Wax - small scale comparison

I received Mckees 37 Krystal Diamond SiO2 Ceramic Wax today. It came packaged similar to other PBMG waxes (I know M37 is no longer PBMG, but w/e):
    IMG_0008.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0011.JPG

I decided to do a very small scale comparison test of this new wax versus 3 competitors.
    I don’t have a car in need of protection right now, but the top, back tailgate panel of my X5 was repainted around 7 weeks ago and is currently bare, and would serve as the test specimen. I cleaned, polished and then prepped per the pic below:
    IMG_0013.JPG
    Adjustments.JPG

The 4 ceramic waxes all include SiO2 plus carnauba:
    A) PBL Synergy
    Mckees 37 Krystal Diamond SiO2 Ceramic Wax
    C) IGL EcoCoat Wax
    D) Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid Nano
    Control: Angelwax Enigma which is applied on the rest of the car.
    IMG_0014.JPG

Synergy and Nano are very hard waxes and have a mild smell of solvents (I think?), whereas EcoCoat and the new Krystal Wax are what I consider soft waxes if going by Dodo Juice standards (basically same consistency as most PBMG waxes as well). Both EcoCoat and Krystal smell good... EcoCoat like a fruit punch, and Krystal smells strongly like an oceanside resort. Nick explains it better in his new video, and I basically agree with his description. Here’s how the waxes look:
    IMG_0016.JPG

I applied each in the same order listed and shown above, going from driver side to passenger side of the top tailgate. Synergy and Nano went on very thin, Krystal and EcoCoat were a bit thicker consistency.
    Adjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPG

*Note that I also reinforced Enigma around the tail lights and paint adjacent to this panel since my polisher went over some places to get corners, and I didn’t feel like taping.

The directions for these vary from leaving on for 10 minutes, up to 30 minutes. I let them all sit for 35 minutes so everything is equal. Wiping off was easy for all 4, but if I had to rank, I would have Synergy as easiest, then Nano, then Krystal, then EcoCoat. Here’s some pics after wiping:
    Adjustments.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPGIMG_0026.JPGAdjustments.JPGIMG_0028.JPG

All pictures were taken in my garage at night time. I’ll let these cure 24 hours and snap some better pics. The car will likely stay dry until Thursday when it may rain, otherwise I’ll do some beading comps with the hose.

Thanks for reading my tiny test (better than nothing hopefully)!
    Likes SWETM, Coatings=crack, kevk, Stokdgs, Tc99m and 2 others liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Wax - small scale comparison

Always enjoying to follow testing like these. Gets you to know in some ways how the different products is between them.

Thanks for shareing your testing!

/ Tony
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

AcuRAS82 --
    Wow !! Beautiful clarity and gloss on that paintwork !!!
    Thank you for this test and all the work with pics, editing, downloading, etc., for us !!
    Dan F
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I love these comparisons and tests! Well done so far!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update 9/26/19:
    The test panel saw a bit of rain this morning. Not enough to see great accumulation on the vertical panel but here’s the pictures anyways (from left to right looking at back panel; NOTE: The bottom half of each picture is the panel. The top half of each picture is the rear window.)
    IMG_0056.JPG

PBL Synergy (Enigma on left side panel)
    IMG_0057.JPGIMG_0061.JPGIMG_0068.JPG

Mckees Krystal Wax
    IMG_0058.JPGIMG_0062.JPG

IGL EcoShine Wax
    IMG_0059.JPGIMG_0063.JPG
    *Pulled out wiper which was blocking some water:
    IMG_0065.JPG

Dodo Juice Nano (Enigma on right side panel)
    IMG_0060.JPGIMG_0067.JPG

Not the most exciting pictures due to the weakness of the rain event. I’ll either do a hose-down later; or Saturday 9/28 it should rain again.

My observations, whether meaningful or not due to lack of rain / angles of panel:

- Synergy side has least amount of drops remaining and smallest drops.

- Dodo Nano is second for both (beads on top ridge look not uniform because of angle, not LSPs fault).

- Krystal is 3rd for both, but a few beads on the top ridge are not uniform.

- IGL EcoShine had the most beads remaining and largest bead sizes. Possible asterisk: the wiper above may have interfered with how and when the rain dropped down this section of the panel.

Hopefully some better results and observations to come in the next few days.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks 340mopars, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update 9/27/19:

I was able do some water testing on the back panel today.
    Video:

https://youtu.be/8fp-1MrwhzQ

I tried to take the sheeting photos (second photo) the moment after turning the hose off for each photo combo below. The third picture is a second, separate try to better catch the sheeting in a picture.

PBL Synergy
    IMG_0079.JPGIMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG

Mckees Krystal
    IMG_0081.JPGIMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG

IGL EcoShine Wax
    IMG_0083.JPGIMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG

Dodo Nano
    IMG_0085.JPGIMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG

All of them are newly applied ceramic waxes on a vertical panel, so it was hard to capture the speed of sheeting in pictures, but they all sheet awesomely. But this would be boring if I left it at that, and it’s easier to see small differences in real time than it is in pictures.

My observation/summaries:
    - Synergy and Dodo reflect the water immediately, it appears to fall faster than gravity can cause. I can’t see any dripping effect, water bounces off immediately.
    - IGL EcoShine sheets 3rd fastest, I can see the stream of water dripping down for a quarter second before the panel appears dry.
    - Mckees Krystal sheets the slowest, I can see the stream of water drip down for a half second before the panel appears dry.

As I mentioned prior, the entire panel has amazing water behavior. But the slight performance edges are in order of price, as is how I view the ease of application/removal as well.
    Likes bofh, Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The PBL Synergy looks very impresive from the pictures. How is the Angelwax Enigma Wax standing up to Synergy and Dodo Nano?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The PBL Synergy looks very impresive from the pictures. How is the Angelwax Enigma Wax standing up to Synergy and Dodo Nano?
    Stupid me, I didn’t directly look at the Enigma compared to the newbies. The TI-22/Enigma Wax is doing well in general, but I would guess it takes one additional second to clear water off the hood compared to when I first applied it. So very slight degradation after 1+ month... but I’m being picky.

i will check new Enigma vs the new other ceramics next time I get the car wet.

Thread Information