Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Update 10/17/19 (One month after last application):

Beading still, but it’s not pretty. The car was kind of dirty, had been driven for 4/5 days with no wash. This after it had been pouring. I’m getting close to calling these “done enough”. Maybe not quite yet, but soon. Sides look alright, but I veer towards worst case (trunk).
    IMG_0631.JPGIMG_0632.JPGIMG_0633.JPGIMG_0635.JPGAdjustments.JPG

DG AW side:
    IMG_0636.JPG

UQW side:
    IMG_0637.JPG

Any thoughts from the crowd? Am I quitting on these too soon? Am I just desperate to cleanse and try something new??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Update 10/17/19 ..Beading still, but it’s not pretty.. This after it had been pouring. I’m getting close to calling these “done enough”...Any thoughts from the crowd? Am I quitting on these too soon?
    Heh heh, IMO you`ve waited more than long enough, but it`s easy for me to spend your time/effort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, IMO you`ve waited more than long enough, but it`s easy for me to spend your time/effort
    I love time and effort doing this stuff, that’s why I’m having trouble leaving it. But decided I will wash today and leave it on for now.

...In the name of providing real world experience to readers.

Post Thanks / Like

I love time and effort doing this stuff, that’s why I’m having trouble leaving it...
    Heh heh, you crazy Autopian you
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Below is a reply of mine from another thread about the wash today:

The AW and UQW still have some fight left in them. They sheet water off pretty slow during final rinse, but it does eventually sheet off and it’s left with dry paint plus beading similar to the hood in the picture from my other thread. The trunk top is still the worst (likely because it’s parallel to the ground) but those beads look improved after the wash. The paint isn’t very slick, which wasn’t an issue during the wash but drying without an ad is becoming a little scary, and I was too lazy to pull out the blower. Will probably bring it out next time.

Post Thanks / Like

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Update 10/25/19:

Washed today with Mckees Foam Soap. Finally got some exciting news! UQW is now outperforming DG AW for water behavior. Both before and after the wash, the UQW side sheets faster. That is, DG AW has significantly slowed down but is still present. I observed this on the trunk, roof and hood.

I grabbed some pictures of the hood. The below pictures are from the time I stop rain flooding the hood, until around 10 seconds after. DG AW on the left, UQW on the right:
    IMG_0765.JPGIMG_0766.JPGIMG_0767.JPGIMG_0768.JPGIMG_0770.JPGIMG_0771.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0774.JPG

Lots of rain coming tomorrow and Sunday morning so stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like

Update 10/25/19.. exciting news!
    Gee, the UQW is lasting a long time for you! Although you and I must judge this stuff differently...TBH, I wouldn`t call either side LSPed at this point. But hey, I`m just looking at the pix and you`re evaluating it IRL.

Post Thanks / Like

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Gee, the UQW is lasting a long time for you! Although you and I must judge this stuff differently...TBH, I wouldn`t call either side LSPed at this point. But hey, I`m just looking at the pix and you`re evaluating it IRL.
    Since different people have different expectations for when they consider an LSP failed, I’m letting this go as long as I can. There’s no doubt still protection on the car, nowhere near as much as I would normally let slide if I was super busy I would at least know that something remains still.

Here’s pictures this morning during light/moderate rain going on for a few hours.
    IMG_0819.JPGIMG_0820.JPG
    Adjustments.JPGIMG_0822.JPG

The back looks pretty hideous but the hood looks a little better (all things considered). I’ll take some more pics between now and tomorrow during a likely washout and decide if it’s time to move on after 5+ weeks since the last application.

Post Thanks / Like

Update at 4:20pm just now, looking better, go figure (maybe rain cleaned surfactants from Mckees Foaming Wash or maybe Mother Nature is just mysterious with different types of rain:
    IMG_0925.JPGIMG_0926.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, that *is* funny how it looks so much better after that rain!

Post Thanks / Like

Update 10/28/19 and End of Test, 6 weeks, 1 day after last application

Washed the car today with Mckees Foam Soap. These have been ruled as “Done enough” now. The pics below show beading on the front hood at 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 20 seconds after simulating flood rain.

DG AW is still technically there (water eventually unsticks and leaves a dry, beaded hood), but for any of us it’s gone. UQW is similar but better off.

IMG_0965.JPGIMG_0966.JPGIMG_0967.JPGIMG_0968.JPGIMG_0969.JPGIMG_0970.JPGIMG_0972.JPGIMG_0971.JPG

Overall thoughts;
    - They both look really nice, shiny, wet.
    - UQW darkens a bit, DG AW is lighter.
    - Both are fantastically easy to use as drying aids or straight
    - Both protected very well from bird poo, leaf stains and whatever junk fell from the tree that it was parked under often. All of these washed away fairly easily with WW with no etching.
    - DG AW has slightly better water behavior for the first month.
    - UQW has slightly better durability in this test and holds on to it’s water characteristics longer.

Tonight I threw some M21 on the car while I figure out which test to do next or what winter LSP I want.

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Heh heh, much as I appreciate the way you let this test run to the sorta-bitter end, I`m glad you LSPed it with the M21

I sure found your results interesting! I wish my OCW protected as well against etching...and maybe that "darkening from the UQW" helps explain why I don`t like it on my paint but do like it on exterior trim.

Oh, and FWIW...the way the beading could vary after different washes/rains/whatever confirms my suspicion that we can`t really take internet pix as gospel IF some [individual] wanted to, uhm...be disingenuous...he could make a nearly-dead LSP look a lot healthier than it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and FWIW...the way the beading could vary after different washes/rains/whatever confirms my suspicion that we can`t really take internet pix as gospel IF some [individual] wanted to, uhm...be disingenuous...he could make a nearly-dead LSP look a lot healthier than it is.
    Yeah, I don’t have all the answers about beading differences but try to be honest and consider variables. I’ve noticed what looks like poor beading in the past if the temperature drops quickly during a rain. The last rain there was very cold in the morning (poor beading) but then the temperature warmed up during the day (better beading).

Who knows!?!
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Ah, interesting! I`m gonna watch for temp-related diffs in our beading now...

Heh heh, I ended up finding this thread more interesting than I`d expected since I won`t be replacing my no-cost UQW no matter what, and probably not my OCW either.
    Likes acuRAS82, SWETM liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information