Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

acuRAS82- Huh, that`s interesting about the color changing with the light, I`ve never noticed that with the OEM finish of my silvers (the Crown Vic`s Moonstone does it, but that`s, uhm.. a feature of that paint), although the diffs where areas have/haven`t been repainted can sometimes do it.

Does this, along with poor beading earlier, show that UQW just really holds on to dirt more than DGAW? Possibly.
    heh heh, figures that I`m using the UQW primarily on the lowermost plastics of the A8, which get dirty faster than the rest of it Actually, come to think of it...doing the "D" pillars of the Tahoe resulted in that too the time I tried UQW instead of my usual Sonus Akrylic Spritz (the pillars are KSG`ed). Not as bad as Garry Dean`s Beyond Infinity Sealant (anybody remember that one?!?), but enough that I could notice. FWIW, I did *not* ever notice that with OCW.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t mess with spray Aquawax anymore. Just use Duragloss rinseless wash with aquawax and bam done. Lasts a couple weeks between washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Update 9/14/2019: Added 4th and final coats of these to the Acura (just wanted to finish my UQW bottle so I can eventually dig into my D156 gallon).

Not much rain/beading to report... the little there has been I saw no difference in beads. The car is parked somewhat under a tall tree and gets pollen-ish spots, leaf stains and sticky spots (but not sap, just junk that comes down during rain). No water spots or etching from the miscellaneous junk... everything comes off easily with WW, RW, or regular wash. Both products protect very well in that manner.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ..the Crown Vic`s Moonstone...
    SMOKEstone! I keep messing that up, but not as badly as whoever got its registration to say "Steel" No such Ford color...

If I publicly correct myself maybe I`ll get it right from now on..

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- I`m sure curious whether you`ll find a diff between the UQW and D156..not that I`m sure I want to know if you do! (I`m kinda stuck using UQW unless I want to pay for it.)

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- I`m sure curious whether you`ll find a diff between the UQW and D156..not that I`m sure I want to know if you do! (I`m kinda stuck using UQW unless I want to pay for it.)
    I did find the differences as noted earlier in the thread. But since the 3rd (and now 4th) coat, they seem pretty neck and neck... but then again we haven’t experienced much rain at all in the past month. I don’t see either collecting more dust versus the other. The car is outside 24/7 nowadays.

Now that I`ve sort of “maxed out” the applications (4 coats in a bit less than a month), I’m going to pay more attention this matchup, particularly as weeks go by and we get more rain and more pollen/dust from fall foliage. I hope to follow these through until one or both noticeably degrade so I can declare a longevity(/durability) winner, among other things.

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- OK, maybe they aren`t really functionally different after all.

Your "4 coats in <month" is more than my stuff usually gets (using it as a Drying Aid; I seldom wash that often except maybe in winter), but I`m redoing the UQW every time I do wash, always seems to need it, but maybe that`s because I`m using it primarily on plastics. The OCW I use on the paint doesn`t need redone quite that often (but it`s close).
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update 9/23/2019:
    It rained today and I was able to focus on my hood while driving 40-55mph down back roads .

Beads on the drivers side sheeted off at 40-55mph faster and more so than the passenger side UQW. I wouldn’t call it a blowout, but it was a solid 2 touchdown victory. Sorry, the picture isn’t great, but you can take my word for it. After a 20 minute ride, I would guess the DG AW side had cleared 85% of water while UQW had cleared 80% of water.

Adjustments.JPG
    Adjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPG
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Heh heh, oh boy...I sure don`t want to learn that the DG AW is superior since I have that free lifetime supply of UQW! I`ll try to convince myself I wouldn`t appreciate the apparent diff in performance Fortunately for me I`m just using it primarily on areas that are nasty after any rain anyhow (lower valences/etc.).

Wonder how long they`ll last now that you have a few coats on there (in quick succession).

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Heh heh, oh boy...I sure don`t want to learn that the DG AW is superior since I have that free lifetime supply of UQW! I`ll try to convince myself I wouldn`t appreciate the apparent diff in performance Fortunately for me I`m just using it primarily on areas that are nasty after any rain anyhow (lower valences/etc.).

Wonder how long they`ll last now that you have a few coats on there (in quick succession).
    I wouldn’t worry about it, they are both classics that will never go out of style due to ease of use, drying aid benefits and the yummy look they provide. The car looks awesome (both sides) after washing.

The longevity now due to the 4 coats is what I’m really watching for at this point. AW beads and cleats water a bit better but w/e. Will be interesting to see how long each lasts with the car sitting outside 24/7, getting washed about once a week on average, even though this last wash was a bit longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about it, they are both classics that will never go out of style due to ease of use, drying aid benefits and the yummy look they provide. The car looks awesome (both sides) after washing.
    I find it a little odd that I disliked how UQW looked on my paints...I seem to be the only guy here with a strong negative opinion of that.

..The longevity now due to the 4 coats is what I’m really watching for at this point. AW beads and cleats water a bit better but w/e. Will be interesting to see how long each lasts with the car sitting outside 24/7, getting washed about once a week on average, even though this last wash was a bit longer.
    Heh heh, "once a week"...you crazy Autopian you But OK, OK...I used to wash some of `em after every drive and you`re parking outside. But seriously, I`ll be interested to hear how they hold up for you. I was no sooner posting about how the OCW on the A8 only lasts until the next wash (which for me might be a while! ) when I noticed that it didn`t need redone after the last wash after all.

Post Thanks / Like

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Update 9/26/19:
    Just a hood bead shot after a night of rain. No major difference, beads look fine on both.
    IMG_0052.JPGIMG_0053.JPG

Same morning, different car (for additional comparison sake’s). Q5 has 3 week old WG Fuzion Spray Wax, which I consider to be the king of non-SiO2 spray waxes (one of the king’s anyways).
    IMG_0054.JPGIMG_0055.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Gulp, I`m gonna risk offending you by basically calling your baby ugly Or at least asking/commenting about that beading "looking fine".

To me, those beads look large and flat compared to those on the Q5. Like..."oh [snap] I should`ve rewaxed". Maybe it just needs washed or something...IThe Q5 looks good in Pic#3, less so in Pic#4 (but still not bad).

OK, we`re talking SprayWaxes here, but the OCW on my wife`s A8 gets smaller, more spherical beads by comparison. Again, maybe it just needs washed or something...

Eh, I`m just a sucker for a certain type of beading

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Gulp, I`m gonna risk offending you by basically calling your baby ugly Or at least asking/commenting about that beading "looking fine".

To me, those beads look large and flat compared to those on the Q5. Like..."oh [snap] I should`ve rewaxed". Maybe it just needs washed or something...IThe Q5 looks good in Pic#3, less so in Pic#4 (but still not bad).

OK, we`re talking SprayWaxes here, but the OCW on my wife`s A8 gets smaller, more spherical beads by comparison. Again, maybe it just needs washed or something...

Eh, I`m just a sucker for a certain type of beading
    The “baby” is dirty, no doubt. I’ve driven it this week and let the beast be pampered in the garage. No offense taken, I’m just not anywhere near declaring DG AW and UQW dead yet. I didn’t have high expectations for the beads, it was more of a “it is what it is, but it is still beading fairly identical on each side” type of observation.

Im glad you brought this up though. The Wolfgang Fuzion Spray Wax on the Q5 was washed last at the same time as the Acura (Monday 9/23) and last sprayed on 9/7 (Acura 4th coat was 9/14). The Q5 also drove 50% more miles this week, yet the beads are much better. Perhaps I’ve indirectly added Fuzion Spray (albeit on different paint) into the competition. Either way, the beading is significantly better.

Sometimes beading anomalies like this happen and then the the LSP makes a “comeback”. We’ll see if that’s the case as time goes by.

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- So glad I didn`t give offense

And yeah, never know just how well/not it`ll revive after a wash, and that Fuzion has sorta barged into the comparison by being so markedly different (at present). Makes me wonder how the A8 will look after its next wash, it`s been..oh, I dunno...over a month since its last wash with OCW as the Drying Aid. Heh heh, after all that time, and daily use, it`s high time I did that wash anyhow!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information