Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thanks again. My engine that experiences this problem in the 04 TSX is a K24.
    I looked at Wiki and it says that the only difference between the K20 and K24 engine is deck height, so I think it would be safe to say that looking at the work done on either will be very similar..
    Hope and pray for just a sensor change.
    In my experiences with other engines, like German engines, they seem to lose the cam sensor just because, sometimes.. Way easier to replace this than of course a dang timing chain..

Imagine the poor Audi person that finds out the timing chain on their Audi is Behind the engine between the engine and transmission...

Labor to remove all the modular stuff on top of that baby, remove engine and transmission, separate them to replace the part, put them all back together AND reinstall, replace all the modules on top, and get it running = over 40 hours labor at the shop I worked out of

I saw some poor kids at the Shop that had this nightmare happen to their beautiful, black Audi Allroad, and they had to give it up, because they were never going to be able to afford to fix it..

DanF
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

^^ That sounds like a nightmare... my wife has an Audi. Hopefully Acura is placed a bit easier to get to which it appears to be, but still a PITA it seems, and labor is what makes it so costly. The chain kit costs like $200.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thanks again. My engine that experiences this problem in the 04 TSX is a K24.
    Got it ! The K20 and K24 are supposed to be very similar except 1 has a little taller deck height than the other..
    There are supposed to be a couple other differences in each such as 1 has Vtec only on the Intake valves and 1 can have Vtec on both intake and exhaust valves..
    Dan F
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, sigh...lots of otherwise fine Audis go on the block around here over required maintenance that the owners can`t/won`t afford Hey, that`s how I got my `93, and its original owner has more money than God; she simply said "enough already!" about $15K from the finish line after spending about that much getting it almost right.

acuRAS82- Oh yeah, Accumulatorette and I make our decisions together too. Maintaining her A8 costs plenty now and then, but it`s her Forever Car so whatever it takes, well...it takes, so maybe that factors in with her being so reasonable about mine!

Logic regarding a Big Repair Bill: That [whatever-it-is] that needs redone lasted from new-now. So fixing it now oughta mean it won`t be an issue again for a good long time. How far would that Repair $ really go towards a replacement by comparison? A few thousand sounds like a bundle to fix something, but it`s easy to spend that much on a lease that leaves you with nothing after a while or a payment on some other car (that`ll wear out too) that you might not like as much.
    Likes acuRAS82, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

See you soon, and good luck tomorrow

IMG_4683.jpg
    Likes Stokdgs, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Wait...what?...where`s it going...see whom soon?.. "good luck" with what?!? I`m...suddenly confused

Post Thanks / Like

Acura went to the shop. It was confirmed that the solenoids/sensors aren’t the issue, meaning there’s a 98% it’s a stretched chain (we both agreed based on that price there’s no need to open the engine at this time as $2500 isn’t happening. This auto service place is very trusty but also thorough and not the cheapest, but guarantee everything... $2500 to do the new chain tensioner, guides and whatever else. However he would much rather find me a used, lower mileage engine due to numerous experiences with Honda engines where something similar was fixed just to find out months later that something else was causing the issues... and my Acura already eats a decent amount of oil.

Hes is going to look for used/rebuilt engines in case I want to go that route. In the meantime he suggested I just drive the car (unless I really want to try the DIY fix) and thinks the power disparity may fix itself once oil pressure is back and the check engine light will probably go out for awhile once that happens... the risk? Of course having the stretched chain skip, causing piston/valve collision, killing the engine, in which case in his opinion I’m just back to where I am now: needing a new motor. In his opinion, I might be able to get a year or more out of the car until this issue makes the car undriveable, but thats obviously just a hopeful guess.

Any thoughts from anyone? In the near term I’m probably going to drive it and see if the light goes away.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82 --

Well, not the greatest news..
    My good friends that have been selling used Honda and Acura vehicles for over 50 years and still going strong, have always found ways to secure - Used - engines from Japan..
    The reason - engines in Japan used to be mandatory removed at I believe, they said, 50,000 miles!

They would always get great engines, of course not even used or opened up and messed with, all the time..
    Made it much more cost effective to install these in the used, higher mileage vehicles they found here in California, and everyone wins...

Does this mechanic import these used engines, or does he know another shop that does ?? I would at least explore that avenue..

I have purchased many used Honda and Acura vehicles over those 50 years from my buddies (for my kids, their friends, etc.,) and have - Never - had an oil burner in any of them.. These guys once had a 300,000 mile Honda on their lot that did not burn oil, and it got sold no problem...
    Good Luck !
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

This Acura is my 3rd Honda, the two others were 89 and 94 Accords. They never burned oil, but the 04-07 TSX is known for it to the point that supposedly Honda would not warranty this issue unless it was burning more than 1.5qt per 3000mi. I read that on a TSX forum.

Anyways, the shop I chose to go to for this is pretty reputable in the area and they give 3 year / 36,000mi warranties for all their work, but overall I trust they would only install a good engine from somewhere trustworthy. This isn’t the shop I go to for small issues, just the bigger, important issues (such as a new clutch last year).

Update: She’s back home and I took her for a ride tonight. The power is back at the moment, check engine light is still on. Overall, I have faith it may run for awhile until I can get a good engine deal.

It’ll rain tonight and tomorrow so will be able to get some un-washed beading comparisons of the spray sealants tomorrow.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Thanks for explaining.

Won`t you be worried about the car always getting you there? I just couldn`t live with that "could happen at any time.." factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    acuRAS82- Thanks for explaining.

Won`t you be worried about the car always getting you there? I just couldn`t live with that "could happen at any time.." factor.
    I’ll likely only use this car for short trips when my wife is around, for the time being. Worst case, Uber has my back... but I won’t be driving my son in this car too much (unless really close to home).

So I guess my love for the car overcomes my worry about breaking down... but won’t be driving it to any critical appointments.

UPDATE: Beading shots from this morning. More to come later (lots of rain expected). Note that my car was parked sideways on a hill so the horizontal surfaces are a little screwy (sideways beads) and I didn’t focus on them at this time.

Passenger side UQW:
    IMG_4740.JPGIMG_4744.JPG

Drivers side DGAW:
    IMG_4741.JPGIMG_4743.JPG
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As promised, a few more beading pictures, after last night and early morning rain. The car is not clean, but not filthy either. One drive in the rain and otherwise mostly sitting outside for the last week.

The beads on the drivers side (DGAW) are more uniform and better rounded than the passenger side UQW, IMO, but otherwise both are doing their thing.

IMG_4758.JPGIMG_4759.JPGIMG_4762.JPG

UQW up closer
    IMG_4760.JPGIMG_4769.JPGIMG_4764.JPG

DGAW up closer
    IMG_4761.JPGIMG_4770.JPGIMG_4763.JPG

Then I took the car for a 10 minute ride near my house on 35 mph roads. Avg speed: 40mph. Top speed: 50mph for 3-5 seconds. The DGAW side shed more water than UQW.
    IMG_4772.JPGIMG_4773.JPGIMG_4771.JPG

UQW side hood:
    IMG_4774.JPG

DGAW side hood:
    IMG_4775.JPG

DGAW is outperforming UQW. I’m inclined to apply a second coat of each after washing tonight. I’ll likely use D156 from my gallon rather than the bottom of the UQW bottle. I’d like to see if D156 performance more closely matches DGAW, being that the UQW may be old and slightly degraded from sitting a long time with low quantity.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Heh heh, for a guy like me, you`re introducing a Confounding Variable when you consider the age of that UQW! Mine has almost gotta be older than yours

Your comparison between the DGAW and the UQW makes me feel OK about preferring the OCW on paint..and/but I`ll agree that the UQW leaves a little something to be desired when it comes to "water blowing off and taking the dirt with it", even if I only use the stuff on trim.

Oh, and thanks for explaining about your willingness to drive it despite the chance of a breakdown...different people have different, uhm...Thresholds of Concern and we`re pretty risk-averse for people who are driving what`re now pretty old cars by some standards (no, I still don`t think the `93 Audi is even broken-in yet). Heh heh, too many Instructors shouting "if the car dies, you die!"
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I washed today with Mckees SiO2 Auto Wash. I consider it a good cleaner, as it’s meant for coatings (removing film, restoring a clean surface). Although it lays down a minuscule amount of SiO2, I’ve never seen it change traits of my LSP (negligible gloss in my opinion which Nick has reiterated).

Prior to washing I rinsed the hood and checked out sheeting on the uncleared paint. The DGAW crushed UQW, with the latter taking about 5x amount of time for water to clear the hood. Here’s a few action shots I attempted (DGAW on the right, UQW on the left):
    IMG_4781.JPGIMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPG
    IMG_4786.JPG

Later there was an interesting observation, but didn’t take a picture (because I don’t want to dry my hands over and over during car washes):
    after washing and rinsing the hood, the sheeting comparison was much closer. DGAW sheeted faster than previously, but UQW was close behind, within a few seconds of sheeting the same amount. In other words, cleaning the hood made UQW look like an LSP again even if still behind the DGAW.

Does this, along with poor beading earlier, show that UQW just really holds on to dirt more than DGAW? Possibly. I know both LSPs we’re still present because the PA combo underneath would have looked like warp speed sheeting in comparison.

Anyways, I washed all the car except the roof. I let water splatter on the roof during rinsing. The sun was out, this was my water spot test.

Below are some resulting water spots, after letting the droplets sit for about 30 mins.

the DGAW side:
    IMG_4788.JPG

and the UQW side:
    IMG_4791.JPG

A swipe of N-914 easily removed water spots for both LSPs.
    IMG_4792.JPGIMG_4793.JPG
    I acknowledge there is 3 month old Cosmic Spritz underneath which could have contributed to defense against water spot etching, but I consider the ease of the spots wiping away to be a win for both spray sealants.

Since we all like to use drying aids after each wash, I decided to reapply each LSP in its respective side.
    NOTE: I didn’t switch to D156, I’m giving UQW another chance as I don’t want to believe it’s degraded in the bottle.
    I applied both pretty heavy to ensure full coverage.

Round 2 tests will resume, but in the meantime, heres a couple beauty shots of each newly applied 2nd coat UQW passenger side, DGAW drivers side:
    IMG_4795.JPGIMG_4794.JPG

IMG_4797.JPGIMG_4796.JPG
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I want to share an additional observation:
    Sealants on this silver Acura paint causes the car paint to change like a chameleon, based on what the sky is doing. This doesn’t seem to jump out at me with carnauba or SiO2 LSPs, but with sealants, especially UQW and DGAW, it catches my eye all the time. Take a look at the last 3 threads that have attachments included. There’s a huge color difference from cloudy/rainy to partly cloudy/post-rain to sunny/blue skies.

These are the finer things in detailing/LSPs that I really enjoy.
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs, Tc99m liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information