Hybrid View

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thanks so much! I would be ecstatic if it was just a sensor... I pessimistically keep that as 10% likelihood. I haven’t ruled out replacing the chain either if it comes down to “what else do I have lose?”. The more videos/tutorials I can see, the more I can get a sense of whether it’s a realistic option.
    Good, hope it`s as easy as a sensor any day..
    When you watch that video, please do NOT think it is a good idea to -Turn - the Camshafts with an open-end wrench!!! I cannot even imagine doing something like that in a zillion lifetimes...
    I believe last time I did anything like this, I turned the engine with a breaker bar + 1/2" drive extension that had a socket that fit over the Crankshaft pulley Nut..
    But then, that was a good-old-Bowtie-small block...
    Good luck ! Hope its the easier of the messy options..

OH -- Look at this ! It`s a K20 engine, dont know if that is yours or not but it Is a Honda 4 cylinder --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ez2KneQHg

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Good, hope it`s as easy as a sensor any day..
    When you watch that video, please do NOT think it is a good idea to -Turn - the Camshafts with an open-end wrench!!! I cannot even imagine doing something like that in a zillion lifetimes...
    I believe last time I did anything like this, I turned the engine with a breaker bar + 1/2" drive extension that had a socket that fit over the Crankshaft pulley..
    But then, that was a good-old-Bowtie-small block...
    Good luck ! Hope its the easier of the messy options..

OH -- Look at this ! It`s a K20 engine, dont know if that is yours or not but it Is a Honda 4 cylinder --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ez2KneQHg

Dan F
    Thanks again. My engine that experiences this problem in the 04 TSX is a K24.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at Wiki and it says that the only difference between the K20 and K24 engine is deck height, so I think it would be safe to say that looking at the work done on either will be very similar..
    Hope and pray for just a sensor change.
    In my experiences with other engines, like German engines, they seem to lose the cam sensor just because, sometimes.. Way easier to replace this than of course a dang timing chain..

Imagine the poor Audi person that finds out the timing chain on their Audi is Behind the engine between the engine and transmission...

Labor to remove all the modular stuff on top of that baby, remove engine and transmission, separate them to replace the part, put them all back together AND reinstall, replace all the modules on top, and get it running = over 40 hours labor at the shop I worked out of

I saw some poor kids at the Shop that had this nightmare happen to their beautiful, black Audi Allroad, and they had to give it up, because they were never going to be able to afford to fix it..

DanF
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got it ! The K20 and K24 are supposed to be very similar except 1 has a little taller deck height than the other..
    There are supposed to be a couple other differences in each such as 1 has Vtec only on the Intake valves and 1 can have Vtec on both intake and exhaust valves..
    Dan F
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Thread Information