Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Wax Seal and Shine vs IGL Premier

Coatings=Crack suggested a showdown between one of my favorite long lasting spray on sealant toppers, IGL Premier and the new kid on the block Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. It just so happens my son has been “exercising” my mothers car and it needed some love. It wasn’t in too bad of shape as I had coated and corrected it about 4 years ago. The coating (PBL Paint Coating) died right at the 2 year mark.

Here is the victim. The pictures make it look better than it actually was.

Gave it a wash with McKees 914, removed some pine tar with CarPro Tar-x and looks better. Also did a quick clay job to smooth out the paint.

Corrected the paint with Rupes rotary, HD One, and Rupes UHS Pad.

Checked my work with my gloss meter. It averaged 92.5 GU after polishing. Used CarPro Eraser for my final prep wipe.

Applied TWS&S to the right half of the hood. It went on pretty nice. Dragged a little at first and as I buffed it got nice and slick.

Applied IGL Premier to the left side and checked the gloss.

I had a third product to test and used it on the left hand side crease. I’ll reveal the product if it holds up. It is supposed to sheet instead of bead.

The final product with all three toppers applied. Looks pretty darn good.

You may be wondering what the gloss meter read with TW S&S.

Uh-oh. My gloss meter read no better than 80.2 everywhere I measured. Down from 92/93. The IGL and the mystery product both stayed in the 92/93 range. At first I thought I did something wrong for the gloss to drop that significantly, but I checked and rechecked and then checked again.

Our eyes may fool us but the gloss meter does not lie, it is what it is. IGL Premier beats TW S&S head to head on gloss. I can check it tomorrow after it cures (if it needs to cure).

I’ll try to get some beading shots tomorrow if possible. I like to give these things 24 hours to cure before it spray them with water. I don’t know if it is really necessary, but it doesn’t hurt.

Ok Coatings=Crack this is my unbiased review. I can check back in a few months to check the durability of TW S&S. I already know that I will get around 5 months from IGL Premier, but based on my gloss meter readings I will happily spend a few more shekels to keep my gloss levels as high as possible as a true Autopian .

Hope you enjoyed the showdown. Accumulator did you read this one, lol?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes Coleroad, Loach, Dan, trashmanssd, SWETM and 7 others liked this post
    Thanks Coleroad, Loach, trashmanssd, Coatings=crack, KBsToy and 3 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle Wax Seal and Shine vs IGL Premier

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Coatings=Crack suggested a showdown between one of my favorite long lasting spray on sealant toppers, IGL Premier and the new kid on the block Turtle Wax Seal and Shine...
    Aha!

...Hope you enjoyed the showdown. Accumulator did you read this one, lol?
    Yes indeed, and check my posting time/date! I just *KNEW* there was some reason to log back on (and so late in the afternoon for me!), and I guess this was it

Thanks for the comparo, which was, of course, up to your usual high standards.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The low gloss readings for TW SNS might be in part to the carnauba in it, but I would guess the carnauba content is really low... so, I’m just throwing out ideas that may be false.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea why the gloss readings are low. It doesn’t look bad at all, but we fight to get the best gloss we can out of our products. I’d TW S&S holds up like some of the youtubers say it’s still a very good product for your daily driver, just not show car quality. Like TW Paste vs Souveran.
    Likes acuRAS82, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir. Much appreciated! I agree visually probably very close but as an Autopian I would gladly pay the premium for the difference on my car.

Probably woulda been my new go to as use to use only over the counters. Is it wierd I wish I woulda never found AG but really glad I did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My Thanks also...Like you said we all go for the gloss
    Something to think about when Autopia or AG does a good sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. I like that meter!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I’m pretty excited about the meter too. For years I’ve said stuff like “that looks nice”, now I can quantify it. I always wondered if clean polished paint was glossier than when LSP was applied. Now I know different LSPs provide different gloss numbers. It surprised me that a drop of 12GU was not really apparent to my eyes though. I imagine it it best to start off as high as possible so over time as the LSP ages you don’t notice the gloss drop as much.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Is it wierd I wish I woulda never found AG but really glad I did?
    Not weird, it probably explains most of us... as long as you enjoy it, it’s all good.

Post Thanks / Like

https://youtu.be/N1-RtlpIAzU

I think gloss meters are finicky like PTGs. This guy had a different result.
    Likes MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is great, thank you. I applied TWS&S to my wife`s daily driver too. I wasn`t blown away by any aspect of it, but same as you-- if the durability is what people say it is then I`ll be more than happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post

Just like product use..... lol results may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure different brands of gloss meters will have different readings. The one I have has calibration disks (like paint depth gauge) that are used to get the best results. I think it’s a great tool to check yourself during the polishing stage to see if you can pull anymore gloss out by using a finer polish or if you have reached the “it’s ok “ point. For checking LSPs it’s more of a fun thing to do. I’m not going to remove an LSP because my meter says it is low, but I would think long and hard before I grab that LSP. And gloss isn’t everything it’s just a part of the equation, if TW S&S shows remarkable durability then it stays on my shelf, but for right now it goes on lower rear panels and maybe rims.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Oneheadlite, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post

That is is an excellent video. The gauge I have is an older model I picked up off eBay (no way I was paying $2K). It seems to do its job well. I took three readings of the TW S&S and they were all down from 92/93 to 80/81. No major drop offs with either of the other 2 products I used and measured. Now you’ve got me thinking I was not able to wipe off enough TW S&S residue. I gave it a normal wipe down and buffed it lightly. I did not rub it as hard as the guy in the video. I’ll go back and scrub harder and see if I can raise the GUs, but like the guy said, you can remove the product by rubbing too hard and instill marks. It was a surprise when the numbers dropped so low. I pretty much did the same steps a the guy in the video just with different products. I been thinking about using Prep-all instead of Eraser.
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    That is is an excellent video. The gauge I have is an older model I picked up off eBay (no way I was paying $2K). It seems to do its job well. I took three readings of the TW S&S and they were all down from 92/93 to 80/81. No major drop offs with either of the other 2 products I used and measured. Now you’ve got me thinking I was not able to wipe off enough TW S&S residue. I gave it a normal wipe down and buffed it lightly. I did not rub it as hard as the guy in the video. I’ll go back and scrub harder and see if I can raise the GUs, but like the guy said, you can remove the product by rubbing too hard and instill marks. It was a surprise when the numbers dropped so low. I pretty much did the same steps a the guy in the video just with different products. I been thinking about using Prep-all instead of Eraser.
    Yesterday I was doing the voiceover for the video when I saw your thread go up, crazy timing! The video isn`t a direct response to your results, although some of the topics I touched on will be relevant to what you`re noticing. It is a caution for any manufacturer to attempt to use a gloss meter to paint a black and white picture of performance with regards to gloss enhancement of individual products, without the viewer understanding the variables that affect measurements.

Your older meter I`m pretty sure was in the $2000+ range when it was new, which is still a very accurate meter. I have the non-haze version of it, which was working for a while after I picked it up before it died out on me. It was a great meter too because these newer ones take more time to spit the gloss results out, the older models were practically instant readings.

You should notice a boost in the gloss readings after the first wash with N-914. The example that I did with the heavy buffing, to me this highlights that my first post-application measurements with the meter is practically irrelevant for certain products. If a manufacturer took one of their sealants, put it up against a competing sealant known to be much heavier and ran side by side gloss testing, it would be very easy for them to paint a picture of performance that at first glance is indisputable. But the wipeability of a product in the short term does not paint a full picture of the product`s actual gloss performance.

Another topic is take Pinnacle Souveran as a hypothetical example. I put it on the paint before a car show, and I`ve reduced the gloss based on the measurements. However, after the show the next day I go out to wash the paint and the gloss readings are back up. But to me, the paint looked better the previous day during the show. The meter tells me I`ve removed the impact of the oils left behind that may be responsible for giving Souveran its advantage in appearance subjectively. Now as a tester, what reading should I report to the viewer? The post-application reading of Souveran where the measurement was lower than the pre-wax readings, the result of which is partially dependent on how much effort I put into buffing it off the paint? Or the higher post-wash readings which no longer necessarily represents the advantages in appearance that Souveran has over other products subjectively? This is a dilemma in gloss measurement testing.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes SWETM, dwaleke liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information