Coatings=Crack suggested a showdown between one of my favorite long lasting spray on sealant toppers, IGL Premier and the new kid on the block Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. It just so happens my son has been “exercising” my mothers car and it needed some love. It wasn’t in too bad of shape as I had coated and corrected it about 4 years ago. The coating (PBL Paint Coating) died right at the 2 year mark.

Here is the victim. The pictures make it look better than it actually was.

Gave it a wash with McKees 914, removed some pine tar with CarPro Tar-x and looks better. Also did a quick clay job to smooth out the paint.

Corrected the paint with Rupes rotary, HD One, and Rupes UHS Pad.

Checked my work with my gloss meter. It averaged 92.5 GU after polishing. Used CarPro Eraser for my final prep wipe.

Applied TWS&S to the right half of the hood. It went on pretty nice. Dragged a little at first and as I buffed it got nice and slick.

Applied IGL Premier to the left side and checked the gloss.

I had a third product to test and used it on the left hand side crease. I’ll reveal the product if it holds up. It is supposed to sheet instead of bead.

The final product with all three toppers applied. Looks pretty darn good.

You may be wondering what the gloss meter read with TW S&S.

Uh-oh. My gloss meter read no better than 80.2 everywhere I measured. Down from 92/93. The IGL and the mystery product both stayed in the 92/93 range. At first I thought I did something wrong for the gloss to drop that significantly, but I checked and rechecked and then checked again.

Our eyes may fool us but the gloss meter does not lie, it is what it is. IGL Premier beats TW S&S head to head on gloss. I can check it tomorrow after it cures (if it needs to cure).

I’ll try to get some beading shots tomorrow if possible. I like to give these things 24 hours to cure before it spray them with water. I don’t know if it is really necessary, but it doesn’t hurt.

Ok Coatings=Crack this is my unbiased review. I can check back in a few months to check the durability of TW S&S. I already know that I will get around 5 months from IGL Premier, but based on my gloss meter readings I will happily spend a few more shekels to keep my gloss levels as high as possible as a true Autopian .

Hope you enjoyed the showdown. Accumulator did you read this one, lol?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk