Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Third Test of SiO2 Toppers

I’m continuing to work my way through the new wave of coating SiO2 based toppers. Some say they can be used as stand alone last step products (LSP), that is up for discussion.

Here are today’s victims

This is the test hood. It has been rinseless washed with McKees N-914, clayed with Primo Slick clay lube and Nanoskin fine clay substitute. The same as all my previous tests.

The hood was broken down into thirds. Each product was applied by spraying a microfiber towel and applying to the hood as recommended by the manufacturer. Left to right in alphabetical order was GTechnique, Hydrosilex, and IGL. Nice and shiny!

Here is the mandatory beading shot using distilled water.

Thoughts: All three products went on nice and easy, wiped off clean/easy with no streaks. The IGL Premier surprised me by being noticeably rougher (not slick) than the other two or any of the other SiO2 topper products I have used in any of my tests.

Budgetplan1 has generously said he would send me some Kamikaze Overcoat to test, so I will do one final test with it versus two Polish Angel toppers I have then I will write up my final observations of all the SiO2 topper type products I have tested.

If anyone has a product I have missed and would like it included pm me and I will see what can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Third Test of SiO2 Toppers

Thank you, I love a good head to head test.
    Likes Ronkh, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

i was just about to do a similar test! i have reload. gyeon cure. tac quartz max and bead maker lined up so far. seeing which other spray products i should add

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    ...clayed with Primo Slick clay lube and Nanoskin fine clay substitute.
    Just to clarify... you are using Prima "Glide" as your clay lubricant, right? In your other thread you mentioned Prima Amigo lube and in this one Primo Slick clay lube. Prima Slick is Prima`s quick detailer (which could be used as a clay lube if one wanted). Slick has polymers in it however which could in fact have an impact on the SiO2 sprays you are testing. Just wondering... I`m assuming you mean Prima Glide is what you`re using for your clay lube - correct?
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the final test and write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Just to clarify... you are using Prima "Glide" as your clay lubricant, right? In your other thread you mentioned Prima Amigo lube and in this one Primo Slick clay lube. Prima Slick is Prima`s quick detailer (which could be used as a clay lube if one wanted). Slick has polymers in it however which could in fact have an impact on the SiO2 sprays you are testing. Just wondering... I`m assuming you mean Prima Glide is what you`re using for your clay lube - correct?
    Thanks for correcting me. I’m definitely using Prima Glide. I picked up several bottles of it when AG dropped it a few years ago. It’s my favorite clay lube. It will be a sad day when it’s gone.

Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for correcting me. I’m definitely using Prima Glide. I picked up several bottles of it when AG dropped it a few years ago. It’s my favorite clay lube. It will be a sad day when it’s gone.

The good news is it’s still available directly from Prima and it’s reasonably priced! I’ve always used Griots Speed Shine as my clay lube, but may pick up some Glide to try when I run out of the Griots.

Thanks for the ceramic spray sealant threads!
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    The good news is it’s still available directly from Prima and it’s reasonably priced! I’ve always used Griots Speed Shine as my clay lube, but may pick up some Glide to try when I run out of the Griots.

Thanks for the ceramic spray sealant threads!
    That is good news. It’s a great lube as it wipes clean and has tons of lubrication. I hear some people experience marring when they clay and I always wonder if it was from bad clay lube. Some people use soap but I’m sticking with what works for me and hasn’t caused any marring yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

rlm, do u have BF Coating Booster to test? I’d be curious how it compares with all other SiO2 toppers, especially PBL Booster and BF SiO2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    rlm, do u have BF Coating Booster to test? I’d be curious how it compares with all other SiO2 toppers, especially PBL Booster and BF SiO2
    Nope that’s one I decided to leave out. I don’t want to hate on PBMG (but I will), their PBL line was/is confusing as far as paint coatings and all surface coatings. I read some of the reasoning behind having two but it did not make sense to me. Now here comes BF SiO2 which looks similar to PBL Coating Booster, and now coming soon is Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Spray. I can’t say they are relabeling, but they are watering down their house brands, imho. If they want to claim product synergy or some other claim it would be nice to back up the claims with science. The reason I didn’t include it is I consider the BF SiO2 Spray to be a Coating Booster and if they aren’t the same they should be or is one just a watered down version of the other one? Rant over. Lol.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Almost willing to bet that after a couple hours the Premier felt nice and slick/glass like.

I use it all the time and it definitely is a performer.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    Almost willing to bet that after a couple hours the Premier felt nice and slick/glass like.

I use it all the time and it definitely is a performer.
    Again, it surprised me. I did not check after the initial application. All the other toppers I tried were slick after application. I will check today to see if the IGL Ecocoat Premier is slick and report back. The lack of slickness did not impead beading just as Sonax PNS does not impead beading. I was thinking IGL engineered it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m definitely subscribed to this. Thanks for doing it!

Post Thanks / Like

Nope that’s one I decided to leave out. I don’t want to hate on PBMG (but I will), their PBL line was/is confusing as far as paint coatings and all surface coatings. I read some of the reasoning behind having two but it did not make sense to me. Now here comes BF SiO2 which looks similar to PBL Coating Booster, and now coming soon is Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Spray. I can’t say they are relabeling, but they are watering down their house brands, imho. If they want to claim product synergy or some other claim it would be nice to back up the claims with science. The reason I didn’t include it is I consider the BF SiO2 Spray to be a Coating Booster and if they aren’t the same they should be or is one just a watered down version of the other one? Rant over. Lol.
    I hear ya, and that’s why I was wondering about BF Booster. Not a good enough reason for you to buy it or me to send you some for test purposes, but me just wondering where it stands compared to BF SiO2 (which I do have but am not re-using until spring) and PBL (which I don’t have).

once spring roles around and I do a coating-lite to my vehicles, I’ll be able to compare the two BFs.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, it surprised me. I did not check after the initial application. All the other toppers I tried were slick after application. I will check today to see if the IGL Ecocoat Premier is slick and report back. The lack of slickness did not impead beading just as Sonax PNS does not impead beading. I was thinking IGL engineered it that way.
    Following up on IGL Ecocoat Premier slickness. Today I performed a very unscientific test of topper slickness on the panel. First I touched the paint with my finger tips and all three products felt the same (I never before touched paint with my bare hand to test slickness). So I decided to try dragging a microfiber towel across the panel and I couldn’t detect much of a drag on the microfiber. Then I decided to toss a folded microfiber towel (Rag Co Pluffle) on the car panel to see if it would slide off and on this test the only side where the towel did not slide off the panel was on the IGL Ecocoat Premier side. Again totally unscientific and if you have a bottle of IGL Ecocoat Premier try to replicate my “test” and report your results back here. I’m not saying IGL Ecocoat Premier is a bad product, just in this test it was not the slickest of the three toppers tested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information