Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Third Test of SiO2 Toppers

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Following up on IGL Ecocoat Premier slickness. Today I performed a very unscientific test of topper slickness on the panel. First I touched the paint with my finger tips and all three products felt the same (I never before touched paint with my bare hand to test slickness). So I decided to try dragging a microfiber towel across the panel and I couldn’t detect much of a drag on the microfiber. Then I decided to toss a folded microfiber towel (Rag Co Pluffle) on the car panel to see if it would slide off and on this test the only side where the towel did not slide off the panel was on the IGL Ecocoat Premier side. Again totally unscientific and if you have a bottle of IGL Ecocoat Premier try to replicate my “test” and report your results back here. I’m not saying IGL Ecocoat Premier is a bad product, just in this test it was not the slickest of the three toppers tested.
    That`s odd it`s not slick for you. Just used it today as a stand alone sealant on a HHR I polished. Felt slick and glass like.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    That`s odd it`s not slick for you. Just used it today as a stand alone sealant on a HHR I polished. Felt slick and glass like.
    Grab a bottle of any other brand SiO2 spray and do a side by side and let us know how they feel. IGL is slick, just not as slick as others. I don’t know if that is a bad thing or not. It may last longer. I may contact IGL to get their take on it. I’ve contacted them before and they were quick to reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to throw in 2 that i have. Adam’s Ceramic Boost and Dinowax Serum Boost. Adam’s is $30, Dinowax is $15. Both are spray on wipe off and easy to work with. They both feel and last about the same(3-4 months) I feel the Adam’s is a bit glossier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    rlm, do u have BF Coating Booster to test? I’d be curious how it compares with all other SiO2 toppers, especially PBL Booster and BF SiO2
    I`m using a sample on one of my vehicles which is coated with McKee`s 37 Paint Coating v.1. So far it`s been pretty underwhelming. I`ve not noticed any improvement in gloss, beading, or surface feel. Compared to Kenotek Showroom Shine (I know it`s a QD) and Gyeon Cure, I might as well be misting the car with water. Those other products have a noticable difference after use. You`d probably be better off with their SiO2 spray than the Coating Booster.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickfire20 View Post
    Just wanted to throw in 2 that i have. Adam’s Ceramic Boost and Dinowax Serum Boost. Adam’s is $30, Dinowax is $15. Both are spray on wipe off and easy to work with. They both feel and last about the same(3-4 months) I feel the Adam’s is a bit glossier.

Thanks for posting. I’m not sure what you mean by lasting 3-4 months. Is that garaged?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Thanks for posting. I’m not sure what you mean by lasting 3-4 months. Is that garaged?
    Garaged but driven 3-4 days a week (approx 150miles)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickfire20 View Post
    Garaged but driven 3-4 days a week (approx 150miles)

Either the Adams and Dinowax are different and better than what else is out there, OR he is the guy the manufacturer loves so they can say this long protection claim

Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is my two week follow up report:

Here is what the hood looks like today. The hood has been rained on several times and is in not too bad condition for sitting outside for two weeks.

A quick rinseless wash with McKees N-914 and it looks pretty good.

How’s the beading? The Hydrosilex in the middle looks the worst and IGL Premier on the right looks like the champ!

Thoughts: All three in this comparo look like they could have provided protection for a week or so more, but the Hydrosilex Recharge is not looking great. They all look better than the set I removed that had been on the hood in the previous test, but those were on for three weeks.

I was worried about the lack of slickness in the IGL Ecocoat Premier topper, but my worries turned out to be unfounded as the beading was the best of the three. Does the texture of Premier give it an edge? I’m going to have to say yes. I’m going to liken it to Sonax PNS as PNS has always received knocks for its texture but get raves for its durability and beading. I’m not inferring it would last as long as PNS, but I think it would last longer than most of its SiO2 competitors. I’m going to run a longer term test on the roof of this car for Premier. IGL says it will last 6+ months which would be amazing, but it is the first topper I have used that is still good enough for me to consider leaving it on longer than a few weeks.

I don’t want to skip over GTechniq C2V3 Liquid Crystal (even though I think manufacturers should leave off the version stuff and just put a label that says “improved” on the front). I have stayed away from GTechniques just because I find their naming convention for their products confusing, but C2 fits right into the middle of the pack of SiO2 topper products.

I’ve got one more test to do before I write up my final results. Hopefully I’ll start it today. All comments or criticisms are appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very well done. C2V3 never went well for me...nice looks, easy application but everytime it rained, needed to be washed. Miserable self cleaning the 2 times I gave it a try.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! Glad to hear IGL Premier didn`t dissapoint. There`s a reason it`s my go to stand alone sealant.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Either the Adams and Dinowax are different and better than what else is out there, OR he is the guy the manufacturer loves so they can say this long protection claim

What type of longevity are you guys getting?
    Adam’s say 3-6months, i have definitely surpassed 3 months

Dinowax claims a year, i got about 3 months.

And my above longevity times are on lower side panels, topside panels are still going very strong, but since i had to re-apply in some areas, thats when i time stamped them at the longevity noted above.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t tried the Adams and never heard of dinowax but any si02 topper or even the spray on hose off type like hydroblue don’t last more than say 3-4 weeks tops. Maybe there is protection there but sure doesn’t look like when applied

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information