Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Topper Testing Take Two

I tested three SIO2 toppers last week (BF SIO2, TAC Systems Quartzmax, and PA HighGloss). The BF SiO2 was the loser in initial beading, but after mulling it over it might have been user error, so I decided to give it a redo. This time I sprayed it directly onto the paint and then wiped off as opposed to spraying onto the microfiber and applying this way.

I changed up the lineup this time (variety is the spice of life). I kept BF SiO2, and added Britemax Remax SiO2, Gyeon Cure, and PBL Coating Booster.

The process was the same as the last time. Rinseless wash with McKees 914, clay (Nanoskin) with Prima Amigo lube, rewash with McKees 914.

After washing

Applied all toppers by spraying directly onto paint and wiping with a different microfiber towel each time. From left to right, BF, Britemax, Gyeon, PBL. They all look good and you can’t tell much difference except the Gyeon darkens the paint some.

First beading photo, BF and Britemax

Second beading photo Gyeon and PBL

After wipedown

Thoughts: they all perform well. All were extremely slick and I couldn’t tell any difference in slickness. I think the BF needs to be sprayed directly onto paint for best results as it is the thinnest of the four. Gyeon Cure was the worst of the four to apply and wipe off. It left hazing that I had to buff off 4 times while the others were a quick wipe off with no streaking. Cure is much thicker and the directions say to spray onto a towel and apply and I strongly agree here. I hope Cure lasts the longest or I would rather use any of the others.

I’m not sure how long these will stay on the car because it needs a complete wash. It stays outside 24/7 and we have 4 large pecan trees that put out a fine mist of sap (nasty). The wife refuses to use a car cover because “it’s too much work”. Lol.

I’ll be happy to answer all questions. I ordered IGLs SiO2 topper and will review that when time allows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Ronkh, JustJesus, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topper Testing Take Two

Were you using cure straight out of bottle? The first time I used it, I did it that way and got streaking. Was ready to trash can the bottle, but then read that it can be cut 1:1 with distilled water. Tried that and it fixed all application and removal issues for me. I use it regularly over my base of can coat now.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, how things change from your last experiment!.I`m going to add IGL soon too, but I may wait until you test it first. Most people who use it say great things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Were you using cure straight out of bottle? The first time I used it, I did it that way and got streaking. Was ready to trash can the bottle, but then read that it can be cut 1:1 with distilled water. Tried that and it fixed all application and removal issues for me. I use it regularly over my base of can coat now.
    Yep, straight out of the bottle. It was not fun to work with. Smeared and was kind of oily on removal. I can see where cutting it 1 to 1 with distilled water would make it easier to work with. The label said Cure can be used as a drying aid, I wouldn’t try it myself. It looks like it would turn into a smeary mess with a whole lot of buffing going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Wow, how things change from your last experiment!.I`m going to add IGL soon too, but I may wait until you test it first. Most people who use it say great things.
    How did you like the BF beading after a week? Surprising and completely unexpected. I did this test again based on your results. I knew the should be duplicatable. It must cure better over time. I love doing these tests as I discover something new each time. I’ll test the IGL when it arrives. I need a sample of Reload to toss into the testing mix and I believe I will have tested almost all of the toppers except for gTechniques.

Does McKees offer a SIO2 topper? I looked several times but never found one. Just their Hydro2 type of coating.

Post Thanks / Like

would gtechniq c2v3 fall in that category?
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    I believe so. It’s one I haven’t tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Beading is great a 2 weeks. I usually use BF SIO2 after every wash, so I don`t go much longer than that. Regarding Reload, the master dealer for CarPro sells sample sizes of Relead in 50 ml bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    How did you like the BF beading after a week? Surprising and completely unexpected. I did this test again based on your results. I knew the should be duplicatable. It must cure better over time. I love doing these tests as I discover something new each time. I’ll test the IGL when it arrives. I need a sample of Reload to toss into the testing mix and I believe I will have tested almost all of the toppers except for gTechniques.

Does McKees offer a SIO2 topper? I looked several times but never found one. Just their Hydro2 type of coating.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with RMD. Gyeon Cure 1:1 is a much easier product to work with. Plus I still seem to get a 2-3 weeks per application on non coated panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    I`ve heard this quite a few times, but the last two time`s I`ve applied it to CanCoat I`ve had no issues when using it at full strength. I have noticed it works better when applied very thin and you do need a pass to buff the product after applying it.

I`ll be curious to see how this plays out. I am currently using both the Blackfire Coating Booster and the Cure on my vehicles. I really like the way Cure makes the shine on a black car protected by CanCoat a little more crisp and makes the metal flake pop a bit more. I`m starting to think Coating Booster is simply milky colored water in a bottle. I`m using a sample at the moment and after two applications on a car with McKee`s 37 Coating I can`t see it`s really done anything at all. After application it doesn`t seem to be any glossier and the water beading/sheeting certianly isn`t improved. I get better results from Kenotek.

Post Thanks / Like

Mckees comparable would be 10 Min Sealant, which has SiO2... it’s a WOWA rather than WOWO, but it’s essentially a comparable otherwise (except it’s a small bottle and you use one spray per panel, probably using less than you would for BF SiO2 Spray)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    I believe so. It’s one I haven’t tried.
    I love C2V3 and Prima HydroMax

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered the GTechniques C2V3. Looking forward to testing it. I might as well try them all. Any others I missed?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered the GTechniques C2V3. Looking forward to testing it. I might as well try them all. Any others I missed?
    What all have ya tried so far? Having trouble keeping up...

Looking forward to your opinion on c2v3...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    What all have ya tried so far? Having trouble keeping up...

Looking forward to your opinion on c2v3...
    Let’s see, Gyeon Cure, PBL Coating Booster, Blackfire SIO2, TAC Systems Quartzmax, PA High Gloss, Britemax Remax for now. I’ve got the new IGL Ecocoat Premier and GTechniques C2V3 hopefully arriving this week. If you know of any brands I’ve missed let me know and I’ll try to pick them up. I’ve got the other PA offerings, but it’s not fair to compare them with ordinary toppers, though the IGL is getting close at $67 a bottle. After I get all the SiO2 toppers I’ll try to put together a chart with price per oz and a general review of each.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, PoweredByJenga, SWETM liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information