Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire SiO2 vs TAC Quartzmax vs PA High Gloss

Thats well said Glen e, and that`s where I sit too. I get great micro beading for at least 3 weeks. (I am washing and applying more after 2-3 weeks). That said, I find RIM`s results interesting. TAC vs BF SIO2 is a perfect head to head. I would expect the PA product to be the best performer based on price per oz. So when I read what RIM gets, I scratch my head and want to know why. It`s fun really.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I`ve done a side-by-side with BF, reload, and mckees 10 min paint sealant. I saw a really no difference in beading after a month or so, and the durability looks virtually identical. The only thing that I found, which clinches it for me, is I really like the way the BFSIO2 applies, with a silky lubrication across the surface , never any steaking, and a slightly slower flash off, so I can see where to buff for high spots and uniformity. I`ll still use bf SIO2 as my goto product.

Post Thanks / Like

The results surprise me too, in multiple ways. High Gloss made my Acura look like it never has before. The Acura has also had SiO2 on it, only a month before the HG. It looked great and I agree it applies the easiest, but HG left me looking in amazement where nothing else has on that paint.

i haven’t done any side-by-sides, but perhaps something to look forward to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’ve never considered any of these type of products more than just shine enhancers. I’ve heard people call them sealants, but there just isn’t enough SIO2 in anything I have tried to even consider it for more than a weeks protection. Just something to spruce up a coating when it gets dull. I was dismayed with the BF’s beading but for something that needs a quick shine it would be fine. For the price you pay for PA HG I would expect more shine, but the protection looked excellent. I’ve never looked at these “toppers” side by side so this was an interesting experience.

Has anyone tried the other PA toppers side by side to see any differences? I think I have Cosmic and Viking and of course HG, maybe I’ll compare the three if it ever stops raining.
    Yes but does it really need Si02 to give protection? We`ve had "normal" WOWA sealants for a decade and always assumed they were protecting. I`m personally not sold on the Si02 everything. That being said I like the application and shine of BFSi02 (thanks to glfnaz too!) but I haven`t put the durability through its paces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Yes but does it really need Si02 to give protection? We`ve had "normal" WOWA sealants for a decade and always assumed they were protecting. I`m personally not sold on the Si02 everything. That being said I like the application and shine of BFSi02 (thanks to glfnaz too!) but I haven`t put the durability through its paces.
    You really don’t need SIO2 to give protection, you could use wax or an acrylic sealant, but when using on top of a coating the SIO2 should bond better. Supposedly. These SIO2 were created as toppers for coatings even though some man say they can be used as stand alone products. I wouldn’t use them that way, they just don’t provide enough protection for me.
    Likes Chopper280, BudgetPlan1, acuRAS82, glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks DetailZeus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You really don’t need SIO2 to give protection, you could use wax or an acrylic sealant, but when using on top of a coating the SIO2 should bond better. Supposedly. These SIO2 were created as toppers for coatings even though some man say they can be used as stand alone products. I wouldn’t use them that way, they just don’t provide enough protection for me.
    Agree with this. I don’t mind also using SiO2 sprays on top of sealants if I want to change the look to a bit more glassy and improve the cleaning abilities for a temporary timeframe... either way, they really are best used as toppers from everything I can gather so far... even if it’s a topper for a Primer (i.e. Reload over Essence; BF SiO2 over BF Pro Primer Polish).

Post Thanks / Like

I find the SIO2 sprays work best over SIO2 coatings, but that they cause issues over sealants and wax--primarily streaks. Beyond that I find that sealants and waxes fork fine over coatings, but I wonder why someone would do that. Just my findings, YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Mike Phillips recommend using BFSi02 over a cleaner/wax in his article. I had no problem "topping" whatever was left of H20 guard and gloss. I also find it curious Blackfire has a dedicated coating booster product. Idk, could be the same stuff in different bottles for all we know...
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update

It’s been a little over a week and I decided to test some different types of SiO2 toppers, but I wanted to see how the “old” toppers were holding up.

The car was dirty (including bird Sh#t). I didn’t clean it I just sprayed distilled water onto the hood. I was quite pleasantly surprised that all three topper beaded and looked great. I was even more surprised to see the BF SiO2 to be beading better now than when it was a day old. I’ve got no idea how this can happen. Did it cure over 8 days? I am mystified.

Anyway I cleaned the car up and will be posting a new Topper Test (tm pending) later today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes acuRAS82, BudgetPlan1, glfnaz, Ronkh, SWETM liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a rinseless wash with McKees 914, then clayed, and then rewashed with McKees 914. There was nothing (no wax or coating) under the sprays to influence the test. I sprayed the same amount of each product onto a clean microfiber and then wiped off with a separate clean microfiber. I too was very surprised to see the BF product looking so degraded after 2 days. There was no time for anything to contaminate the panel. In this case it is what it is. The BF is very watery, the TAC is thicker, and the PA is very thick. I don’t know if thickness has anything to do with longetivity, but in this case there is some correlation. For the folks that have not tried TAC Systems Quartzmax, it looks like CarPro Reload, minus the streaking.
    Some of the rinseless washes have some type of polymer or wax for lubricity so they leave something on the surface. I`m not sure of McKees but I`d be surprised if it didn`t leave something behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Some of the rinseless washes have some type of polymer or wax for lubricity so they leave something on the surface. I`m not sure of McKees but I`d be surprised if it didn`t leave something behind.
    914 is formulated/marketed as a `pure` product that leaves nothing behind.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    914 is formulated/marketed as a `pure` product that leaves nothing behind.
    Amen!

Post Thanks / Like

Sometime this week I will be resuming testing now that the hurricane has left the area and my electricity has been restored.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometime this week I will be resuming testing now that the hurricane has left the area and my electricity has been restored.
    You wanna add some Kamikaze Overcoat to the mix? Somehow I have ended up with 3 new 250ml bottles, (2) of `original` version, (1) of the new V2.1. If you`re willing to give it a go and report back, I`ll send ya one of the bottles of the original version. Season is about over here so I`m a bit, uh, overstocked.
    Likes glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How about the IGL Premier? I`d enjoy seeing how it performs in a comparison.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budgetplan1 I would love to have some Overcoat to add to the test. I think you still have my address. I will be testing the new IGL Premier in the next few days. The hurricane is gone now and things are getting back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks glfnaz thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information