Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Moonlight by tac systems and Can Coat by Gyeon

I am always looking for the something better than what I am doing now. I have been drawn in by the recent posts about Moonlight.

I watched a video linked here and also some of the others on Youtube and I was wondering if anyone has used both Moonlight and can coat?

I have used and love can coat by Gyeon. Great quick coating with decent durability. I spray on applicator wipe on and immediacy wipe off. Its slick, and beads like a wax. The newest can coat version is liquid as is moonlight.

Watching the Moonlight video, it looks similar to cancoat and I was wondering if anyone has tried both that can compare?

Thanks

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moonlight by tac systems and Can Coat by Gyeon

I used both CanCoat and Moonlight (on two different vehicles) over the holiday weekend. First time using Moonlight and probably the third time using CanCoat. I found Moonlight very easy to use, although I was a little unsure just how best to apply it. It indicates that it is a "spray" coating/sealant product, but they do not include a sprayer with it. I put a few drops on a foam applicator pad and applied it that way. A little goes a long way. As the product is oil based, it is easy to see where you have applied it and removal was also pretty easy. Great gloss and I`ll look forward to using it again. I "cleaned" my applicator pad with some Poorboys Tornado cleaner after using Moonlight, and it was like trying to remove a sealant. Whatever you use for your applicator will become a dedicated Moonlight applicator in my experience... I obviously can`t comment on durability, but it really added some nice gloss and made the paint feel silky smooth.

CanCoat is just a little different. It doesn`t seem as "substantial" as the oil-based Moonlight product. I used CanCoat on a black car for the first time, and even though I was spraying just one or two sprays into my microfiber cloth (from what I thought was a far enough distance away from the car) I got a little overspray onto the paint in a few spots. Didn`t realize it until it had semi-cured and had to polish it off and try again. This was a little frustrating as I didn`t seem to experience that the first few times I used it. As a result, I`d have to say I prefer Moonlight as it just has a slightly less chance of user error during the application process.

Both are very good though. Can`t go wrong with either.
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good info. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    It indicates that it is a "spray" coating/sealant product, but they do not include a sprayer with it.
    Methinks the TAC U.S. fulfillment department needs a little work. I rec`d a sprayer with mine and it wasn`t leaking either (like another recent order from TAC an Autopian rec`d).

I used a 3x5 microfiber applicator pad to apply after spritzing pad with one or two sprays. I applied it last week to the hood of a prepped/polished fleet vehicle and will likely be applying to en entire 2004 black Corvette tonite which had WG Uber Ceramic applied in Spring 2016. The Vette has held up well, coating-wise, as it was garaged all winter. Interesting to see how the Moonlight works as a coating `booster`.

Not sure the SiO2 content of Can Coat (Gyeon lists is at > 10%) but the Moonlight is supposedly between 20-25%. As mentioned, applies quite nicely and removal is a snap.
    Likes BadgerRivFan, Rblouin, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll also mention that Moonlight looked great on both my plastic and chrome trim... no issues applying and wipe off was simple.
    Al S.

- Buddy Guy
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Rblouin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Moonlight after a month...

https://youtu.be/A48UeXzOqGw

With all this talk lately about TAC, who is their USA distributor/store?
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks PantherShark thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post

I ordered from here:
    Link Removed

XMD seems to have a few TAC products as well
    Link Removed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post

Moonlight available at
    we just finished our new web site Link Removed

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used both of these as well.

They both apply very easily and buff very easily. I`ll agree with others that Can Coat appeared to be a little less robust on the application when compared to Moonlight. Nevertheless, they both spread very easily and a little bit went a long way with both. Using short and long nap fiber MF towels, application of both was a breeze. I wonder, however, if a block and suede applicator would be better for Moonlight.

I and others have experienced spotting with Moonlight.

I have not been through a rainstorm with Can Coat to see if there is any spotting.

I don`t think I`d use either of these as a primary coating. With other more durable products out there, Can Coat and Moonlight are kind of like iPads. Not like desktop computers, and not as useful as the phone. What are they for? I suspect I will be using both as a once-every-couple-of-months topper. Maybe they`re good for those who come in for refreshers every 6 months or so. I`m sure there are many clients like that.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I`ve used both of these as well.

They both apply very easily and buff very easily. I`ll agree with others that Can Coat appeared to be a little less robust on the application when compared to Moonlight. Nevertheless, they both spread very easily and a little bit went a long way with both. Using short and long nap fiber MF towels, application of both was a breeze. I wonder, however, if a block and suede applicator would be better for Moonlight.

I and others have experienced spotting with Moonlight.

I have not been through a rainstorm with Can Coat to see if there is any spotting.

I don`t think I`d use either of these as a primary coating. With other more durable products out there, Can Coat and Moonlight are kind of like iPads. Not like desktop computers, and not as useful as the phone. What are they for? I suspect I will be using both as a once-every-couple-of-months topper. Maybe they`re good for those who come in for refreshers every 6 months or so. I`m sure there are many clients like that.
    I`m trying out CanCoat as a stand alone on top of Q2 Primer Polish. We will see how it holds it with the occasional Cure maintenance here and there.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, BadgerRivFan, glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks Rblouin thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I`m trying out CanCoat as a stand alone on top of Q2 Primer Polish. We will see how it holds it with the occasional Cure maintenance here and there.
    I think you`ll be surprised how durable CanCoat really is. I used it last winter as the LSP on my daily driver and it held up beautifully in our tough Wisconsin winter climate. ECH2O and ECH2O mixed with Reload (or Cure) worked great for maintenance. Gloss Shop Trifecta also worked nice with CanCoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Al S.

- Buddy Guy
    Likes The Guz, Rblouin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    I think you`ll be surprised how durable CanCoat really is. I used it last winter as the LSP on my daily driver and it held up beautifully in our tough Wisconsin winter climate. ECH2O and ECH2O mixed with Reload (or Cure) worked great for maintenance. Gloss Shop Trifecta also worked nice with CanCoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That is good news that it proved to be that durable under hard weather conditions.

Should last longer since I am in the land of good ole` sunny California where the average temps range from 70-75. No harsh winters and not much rain as of late. I am curious to find out if it will last longer by using Q2 primer as a base for it. The water behavior is pretty intense. I`m thinking 1 year out of it with good maintenance will be decent.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BadgerRivFan, kevincwelch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am 8+ months in with CanCoat. I`ll try my best and get pics loaded tonight. I can`t really tell much difference from January to August in beading or sheating. Thus far I am truly impressed with the longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few shots from Sunday. 32 weeks after application.

First picture is before wash. 2nd picture is after washed with Mckees Extreme foam. The beading is great on both. However, the sheeting is reduced on the dirty panel. A quick wash and the sheeting restored.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Likes MattPersman, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Rblouin thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that`s interesting...brought home the truck I applied Moonlight to hood maybe last April...and still some remnants of beading?

Nothing done since application aside from getting rained on and generally neglected. Truck hood was always water spotted, never stayed clean but maybe something still there? Again, I dunno.

This whole escapade is raising more questions than it answers.

EDIT: Guessing the beading is because the water is sitting in the etched water spots. Very faint but discernable etching when the Colormatch light shined on it after drying. Well, they`re still kinda beads, No? Moonlight by tac systems and Can Coat by Gyeon

Likes Ronkh, kevincwelch liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information