Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass Cleaner what`s your fav?

I posted some thoughts about 1Z`s Glass Cleaner in my post in the Unboxing Pictures thread and thought it might be a good time to discuss what you like or dislike about your current or past glass cleaners. I`ve seen people discuss glass cleaning techniques from plan water and a newspaper to very detailed techniques like only using one side of a special microfiber towel. So what is your favorite glass cleaner? Maybe your least favorite and why?

I`m currently in love with 1Z at full strength. It cuts through everything, bugs, tree sap, crud, everything, so far. I have read that you can cut it 1:1 or even 1:6. I`m betting it would work diluted, it`s real strong. A 500ml bottle runs $7.99, pretty reasonable considering the new Blackfire Glass Cleaner runs $14.99 (it`s good too). Pro detailers should work with different dilutions for different problems and to keep cost down. It used to be sold in larger quantities at a discount and I`m going to try to find a larger size for me. The 1Z smell is strong, but dissipates quickly. If you live in bug country I encourage you to give this a try.

I bought a bottle of Meguires new Glass Cleaner, not the blue concentrate that I imagine most everyone has tried. I was less than impressed. I sprayed it on my bathroom mirror, it was very watery (most glass cleaners are 98%+ water). It didn`t cut through the water spots and soap on the mirror without some serious scrubbing, very similar to Windex. There were no streaks, but it took several wipes. I`ll give it to my wife to clean with. She gets the stuff I deem unworthy to be used on my cars (lol).

Stoners Glass Cleaner aerosol and non-aerosol has been around forever and for years was my go to glass cleaner. I liked the non-aerosol for interior glass. It cut well and was easy to control where the spray went. It is still on my Mt. Rushmore of glass cleaners.

Blackfire Glass Cleaner. I got this from AG free to try out when it was introduced. It has some very strong cutting power and does not streak. It`s a top notch glass cleaner. It`s main problem is cost. At $14.99 I just can`t justify it when there are ones almost as good for less than half the price.

I have heard good things about Armor-All Glass Cleaner and it`s on my radar to try out. I haven`t tried the Sonax Glass Cleaner but if an Autopian says it`s great it will be included in my next order. I`m always looking for something that makes a chore like glass cleaning easier.

I`d be remiss if I didn`t include Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Cleaner. I love this one too. It does two things good (which is kind of amazing) cleans very well and leaves a long lasting hydrophobic coating. On glass that is not too dirty or as a second step after cleaning with a stronger glass cleaner (Wolfgang is fairly strong) Wolfgang PVGC is some great stuff.

What is your favorite or least favorite Glass Cleaner(s)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass Cleaner what`s your fav?

Poorboys and PA diver tied
    OPT clean+protect
    WG glass and Dodo Glass tied
    in that order

sun friendly: only Poorboys

for protection: controlling for cost: pa diver
    considering cost: opt clean+protect

Brandt K.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Scholl Concepts ICE is my current favorite. It doesn`t run and cuts through grease pretty well. A little goes a long way.

OPT clean + protect is my next favorite.

I usually take PB Glass Cleaner if I am traveling because it can be used in the sun.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes kesmit liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Was using Meguiars detailer line but now Griots

Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty simple. I use Stoners primarily. Occasionally I clean with some Duragloss #751. I have some Sonax, but it`s going slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not a pro but I like Stoners and Sprayaway. They have always worked for me. I stick w the aerosol version of Stoners because the spray version just sems so watered down to me.

I did just buy some Mother`s Revision Glass Cleaner based on a review on another forum. Haven`t tried it yet...

I have to say though, I`ve used Poorboys Spray and Wipe on my glass in the past and its worked really, really well.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax is at the top of the heap for me. No streaks, leaves no film, excellent lubrication - and has cut thru everything. Works on hot glass, even.
    Personally, have found no equal.

Wolfgang was somewhat disappointing. The sealant that`s mixed in, needs a real good buffing after the glass has been cleaned. Didn`t notice any exceptional cleaning power.

Years ago, DP had a formula in a white bottle, with an orange label that was as strong as ever. Seems the most recent McKee`s isn`t quite as good.

We clean our house windows with D114, with a scrubber and a squeegee (sp?) 1:64 ratio, with distilled water. Cleans like nobody`s business. I`m wondering why I just don`t use that, over a dedicated glass cleaner? It sure does a nice job.

D120, Stoners, Sprayway, etc etc....is all about the same for me. Works well for maintenance cleaning, but they all lack any real significant cleaning power.

Over the years, it`s become apparent that towels and method trump the cleaner. However, it doesn`t stop me from being interested.

Based on Robert`s comments, 1Z is next on the docket. That, and the Blackfire cleaner...but damn, $15 for a bottle. Yikes!

Last thought - years ago, I`d make glass cleaner with vinegar, alcohol and corn starch (and distilled water, of course). Always worked well. But seems these new-fangled automotive geared cleaners have surpassed the homebrew stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of the one I`ve tried Meguiars, Mothers, Stoner I find that Sprayway cleans better. I had a old sticker on the windshield for years and the glue residue was hard to come off with just glass cleaner and the Sprayway was the only one started to lift the glue with just a spray let it sit for a minute and wipe with a microfiber cloth.

Post Thanks / Like

3D 50:1 Glass Cleaner. Cuts through smoke, grease, haze and you can do streak free windows even with less than ideal light. The first wipe after spraying leaves a grabby film on the window that you can feel as you start the second wipe. As the film is removed the glass becomes super slick so you know any streaks are gone even if you can`t see them. A 16 oz bottle is only $8 and all you need is .5 OZ mixed with 24 OZ of distilled water (optional) for a ready to use solution. Works out to about 35 cents per bottle of rtu.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Likes trashmanssd, dschribs, LashingStanley liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I haven`t used an actual glass cleaner in forever. WG Uber at WW or detail spray dilutions is my go-to now
    Likes LashingStanley liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stoners with water repellent in the spray bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

The Fast Glass towels from CP are damn amazing, you don`t use any cleaner, just get it wet and ring it out before using. I know it`s not what OP asked, but it can replace cleaner, I`ve never had streaks with them. For a cleaner I really like Scholl ICE, as already mentioned. It`s a lot more $$$ but it works great and has some sort of polymer doo-hickies. Can`t speak on those as it`s never rained when I`ve used it. But as far as cleaning it`s great and no streaks even in the sun. Next I want to try PA Diver.

Post Thanks / Like

mostly use meguiar`s (great value), but i also use armor all glass cleaner and it is very good. you can actually leave it wet on glass and never see any water spotting when it dries.

Post Thanks / Like

I like 1Z, diluted so that one bottle makes two bottles, for EXTERIOR glass, due to the smell.
    I like Meg`s D120 for interior, and of course I`ll use it on exterior for light duty. D120 also works well in the house. Outstanding value.

Post Thanks / Like

I generally use Stoners but I`ll have to try the Sonax. Not gonna shell out big money for glass cleaner but it`s hard to go wrong with Sonax- they make great stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information