Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

22ple HPC experience

Hey guys. I`ve been on a amateur detail guy for a few years now. Hobby that I enjoy, get a chance to just focus that part of the brain concentrating on detailing is relaxing to me.

I`ve got a decent collection of products in my stash. Lots of wolfgang and pinnacle products. For a long time I was big into wax, I had pinnacle souverain and now wolfgang synergy... On black the souverain was tremendous but as you can imagine it is strictly a show type wax, as its longevity is pretty bad. Synergy I personally found to be a good middle ground between the look of a fine wax, and the longevity of a decent sealant.

I started reading more and more about coatings. My first foray was almost a year ago with wolfgang uber ceramic. I experimented putting it on the hood, this was a video i did

https://youtu.be/jNgR3EV-Bfk

I honestly really liked it. I found it a little difficult to apply as the syringe can be a little cumbersome to use, and speading it evenly I found a challenge on a white car. But I found the results were worthwhile. Well a friend of mine bought an Audi S3, and wanted to put it on his car so we did his entire car with it. Once again a little hard to do on a white car, very thin and telling if it flashes or not wasn`t easy.

But I was impressed with the shine and started to look into coatings a bit more. I decided upon 22ple because they were a little off-brand, not that mainstream (though i wouldn`t say any coating is really mainstream) and they seem to update their product line regularly.

So i thoroughly washed, iron X, clay, and lightly polished the car.

(clay was perfect, between iron x and the fact car is a year old and well maintained)

(looked ready to go, I couldn`t find any imperfections)

So I found it borderline impossible to show HPC at work on the car since it is white. Pretty easy to tell with the naked eye but the camera found it hard to pickup so i chose a black surface for these pictures. You will see, before, during, hazing, and finished (buffed off).

Next post I`ll show more
    Likes Ronkh, xspwrstang, Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 22ple HPC experience

Here is the top of the car trying to show reflections

Here is the car out in the sun. Hard to show the paint popping on white without a nice camera

Afterwards I also helped a friend apply migliore sealant to his. So now i`ve got perspective on 3 different coatings.

So long story short what was my experience:

Pros
    Easy to see and apply
    Hazing helped in removal as you could see pretty clearly areas that need to be buffed that you may have missed.
    I like the shine a lot, glossy.
    Expected longevity especially when topping it with vs1 from time to time.

Cons:
    I definitely felt like you use more product with this than the wolfgang. Took 50ml bottle to the entire car once, and then the top surface for the another layer 12 hours later
    Probably not as warm/depth of shine compared to a wax
    Not cheap that is for sure

I know some have mentioned the slickness, and it feels quite slick to me, especially once topped.

Post Thanks / Like

SC, are you able to offer up any further thoughts on this product? Thanks.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you decided on a topper for the 22ple coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Have you decided on a topper for the 22ple coating?
    Finitura is the new top coat, specifically designed to minimise water spotting (for area with hard water or acid rain) as well as to add further surface protection to go on top of 22PLE glass coats (as well as other glass coats). Great as a maintenance agent too!

Final tweaks have just been completed. Should have eta after this week`s Japanese Golden Week holiday

22ple HPC experience-22ple-finitura-porsche-991-gt3rs-01-.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes SgtMajUSMC, BudgetPlan1, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^Exciting stuff!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    ^^^^Exciting stuff!
    Yep...waiting for this one.

Of all the coatings I`ve tried this winter (WG Uber, McKees, Cquartz, Gyeon MOHS, Gyeon Prime, Pearl Nano, Gloss Shop Ceramic, Gtechniq CSL and 22ple HPC) the 22ple was most satisfying both in terms of application (crazy easy...but different) and initial looks (crazy gloss).

So far after a month with no washing or attention whatsoever the vehicle I used it on still looks clean and shiny (relative to the others...think Gyeon MOHS is in 2nd place so far).

Was the most $$ of the above group but if durability is as claimed (along with continued self cleaning abilities) it could even compete with my current, money no object coating choice, especially on non metallic paints.

Good stuff and cool logo as well...

FWIW...used about 35ml to do 2 layers on all but roof of Ford 2016 Transit Extended panel van. Used something else for the huge roof as I didn`t know if I`d have enough HPC (50ml would done 2 coats on entire vehicle methinks).

Only downside was 12hr wait between coats but if that can be accommodated, it`s worth it. Yep, really like this stuff.

(Topped with VS1)

That`s what I think at the moment but, well...it`s all so subjective.
    Likes tom p., 22PLE, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Only downside was 12hr wait between coats but if that can be accommodated, it`s worth it. Yep, really like this stuff.
    All coatings will need a good 8~12 hours to give it the initial cure. A few of our coatings (VX PRO2 and the Professional series) are 90~100% silica (the only coating of its kind in the market as most are about 30~50% pure), so they will need slightly longer cure time since more silica are laid onto the paint surface. These coatings are also VOC compliant, chemically stable (important for us but usually not mentioned much) and classed as non-dangerous goods for shipping purpose.

There are many brands who will tell you their coatings will cure in relatively short intervals...your questions should be to ask if these are a conservative cure time or if their coatings contain such low % of active silica that the cure time can be made this short?

I am sure Finitura will be worth the wait...we tested and tweaked this over the past 2 years. Some have been sent to our panel of testers over the past 18 months and they were all blown away. Our final tweak has been very rewarding and I can`t wait to get these out.
    Likes HCF, tom p., BudgetPlan1, Supercharged75 liked this post
    Thanks tom p., BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Dislikes tom p. disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Came back almost two years later. So I ended up selling my Golf a few weeks ago... literarily every person (and the dealership I got it from begged me for it as they were astounded the condition it was in) who saw it remarked how great the car looked. I put much of the credit on HPC with occasional vs1 topper. I could not find any swirl marks or marring. Happy to say I found someone who definitely appreciated the car and its condition. Wish I had taken more pictures of it at the end but here it is.

Given the ease of the install and the level of protection I`ve already gotten a few fellow stinger owners to try 22ple out. Many people are naturally nervous about applying coatings for the first time, but HPC is one of the products I don`t worry about suggesting to first timers. Although I decided to go with Kamikaze coatings for the stinger, my beater car acura tl is going to get HPC put on it.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

why switch to kamikaze, can you compare the two i know budgetplan has but its nice to get multiple perspectives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    why switch to kamikaze, can you compare the two i know budgetplan has but its nice to get multiple perspectives.
    Similar to budget I`ve got an itch to try new things, and after reading several reviews on their product line I decided to give them a shot. I`ve put 22ple products on 3 different vehicles so I`ve given them plenty of money and time, spread the love around a bit.

I thought HPC had a very shiny hard gloss glow to it. Really made the pearl white of the Golf R pop. It is also pretty easy to apply, though on white the hazing is still very difficult to see but on darker colors that wouldn`t be an issue. Longevity wise (1.5-2years ish) it never let me down. Occasionally topped with vs1.

I`d say from my limited time with kamikaze that kamikaze seems to be better with hydrophobic properties, beads and sheets better but we`re talking about minutia differences. It is so close I wouldn`t use it in my decision making process on which one to go with. Kamikaze seems to have a more subdued warmer look to my eyes. Though both are easy to apply, ism was a bit more grabby, tad more difficult to remove (required more buffing towels). To me the hardest thing to deal with was the process of waiting 12 hours to apply the next coat of HPC, it was just a juggling match of time, but given what I experienced it certainly seemed to pay off. Kamikaze is a lot easier to apply in the regard.

They so far are the two top dogs in my mind of the coatings i`ve tried. I wouldn`t hesitate to recommend both of them. I`d like to see HPC on maybe a dark car to see how it looks on that kind of paint. I guess if someone asked me which one, if you had a garage and time, HPC; if you didn`t kamikaze... its that close.
    Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up on that first posts! And to follow up with your thread is a very nice thing to do. As it`s not that common it is done. The selling on the Golf must been rewarding thing to do. And the work you have done to maintain it is awesome.
    The maintance of the car from you applied the 22ple HPC coating. Was it easier to do than when you maintained a wax or sealant?

Thanks for shareing your experience!

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Awesome write up on that first posts! And to follow up with your thread is a very nice thing to do. As it`s not that common it is done. The selling on the Golf must been rewarding thing to do. And the work you have done to maintain it is awesome.
    The maintance of the car from you applied the 22ple HPC coating. Was it easier to do than when you maintained a wax or sealant?

Thanks for shareing your experience!

/Tony
    Oh yeah coatings have absolutely been easier to maintain, and i was a big wax and sealant guy. In fact I got 10 or more waxes and sealants just sitting around now. The ease at which dirt comes off the paint and the protection you get from light swirl marks makes it a no brainer for me. Although they are more difficult to apply than a wax or a sealant, it isn`t that difficult. I`ve been surprised how many people know about coatings these days but are too scared of doing permanent damage...

Its bittersweet selling the car. It was basically flawless, gave me zero issues, and looked great. Was happy to find someone who could appreciate everything.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst310 View Post
    Similar to budget I`ve got an itch to try new things,
    After the last 18 or so months, may need to change username to Busted BudgetPlan1
    Recently added up total expenditures that were easy to find/download and...uh, oops.

To me the hardest thing to deal with was the process of waiting 12 hours to apply the next coat of HPC, it was just a juggling match of time, but given what I experienced it certainly seemed to pay off. Kamikaze is a lot easier to apply in the regard.
    Only downside to the 22ple. I actually wait 20-24hrs between coats as that is what 22ple recommended (if possible) when I did actually communicate successfully with them.

I`d like to see HPC on maybe a dark car to see how it looks on that kind of paint.
    I did bosses Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat Ford Explorer last year in HPC + Finitura...looked really cool, kinda like a candied apple with a thick layer of the `candied` part. It was nicely `molten`
    22ple HPC experience-explorer.jpg

When I bought a new black Honda Accord Coupe last year, I first did it in 22ple HPC. Was really nice but next to the Kamikaze black Vette in the garage, it lacked the depth of Kamikaze. The `outer` molten, candy-gloss layer of 22ple was very appealing but overall it didn`t look as rich as Kamikaze. That`s all a personal thing though, so irrelevant to anybody else`s eye`s.

Based on the Fleet Vehicle I first used 22ple HPC on back in March 2017, I kinda suspect the 22ple HPC may be just a bit of an overall `tougher` coating than Kamikaze, a suspicion that will either be confirmed or debunked this coming November when the Kamikaze Fleet Vehicle I did in February 2018 finishes it`s first 20k miles with no maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes SWETM, scharnhorst310 liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information