Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to get a COVID19 vaccine

dgage....I also served in the army...from 1958 to 1962....I also have a gun...with this crazy world today...I am glad I have one...I moved from N.Y to Florida thinking Florida was different....maybe years ago it was ...I live near Jacksonville and the killings are awful...you watch TV and we all see military men and women with no arms or legs...we need to take better care of them instead spending money who knows on migrants who are crossing in to our country...what"s wrong with that picture...One more thing if you you don`t like our country ...move

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Based on what I`ve read and seen in videos, the criticism is from the original animal testing back in 2005 and the immune response of those animals after an extended time when they came in contact with the Sars/Cov virus. Is that still an issue? I don`t know but I`m not sure there have been enough human trials to determine long term reactions. But one thing is absolutely certain, none of the manufacturers have any liability should anyone get sick.
    Long-term effects really apply to medicine more since you take medicines over a long period of time. Vaccines start to dissipate as soon as they enter the body so essentially they try to teach the body’s immune system to recognize a pathogen and they have a short life. This is also why some vaccines need multiple doses to teach the body to recognize a virus properly. So really with a vaccine it is more focused on short-term side effects as well as making sure it doesn’t negatively effect certain body systems such as the sensitive blood-brain barrier.

Many complain about how quickly the Covid vaccines were approved and how they didn’t get proper testing and that is partially but not completely accurate. Let’s first start with the vaccine and drug trials. Drug trials are notorious for taking many, many years and I’m sure there are some inefficiencies there but there is also a lot to test such as bodily system interactions, other drug interactions people might be taking, as well as many ailments people might have. Again, we’re talking about drugs, which could be taken continuously for years. Vaccines have stringent testing needs but not as much as drugs, which again are potentially in a person’s system for much longer.

A normal vaccine goes through many stages (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/basics/test-approve.html) for approval and these normally are done in order with longer trials and longer review times. The Covid vaccine reviews didn’t skip any of the steps, they just crashed the plan and did things as fast as possible. They ran tests in parallel such as a test of 100 people, 1,000 people, and 10,000 people all at the same time. Instead of waiting until the data results were tabulated and reports written, the CDC was working hand in hand with the vaccine companies and they were reviewing the raw data together. The CDC did stop one of the phase 3 trials (10,000 people) as when reviewing the data they noticed that there weren’t enough non-white and female participants so they paused and addressed that on the fly. Normally that would have resulted in an additional trial occurring. When things started looking good, the companies started manufacturing the vaccine way before they received approval. Normally companies wouldn’t produce a vaccine (or drug) until final approval as if there was a problem, they’d have to destroy the product which means losing a ton of money. The US (and other) governments stepped up to ensure they would pay if there was a problem. So there weren’t any skipped steps, the companies and the govt just did everything they could to crash (accelerate) the project and shared the risks.

Finally, we should also recognize that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine are the first to use the Messenger RNA method of creating a vaccine. RNA is related to DNA though RNA is a single strand of information and DNA is a double strand. RNA can be used by DNA to communicate instructions to cells and it is this natural function that scientists are leveraging for the Covid vaccine and others in the future. While these are the first mRNA vaccines, they’ve actually been working on this technology for 25+ years.

I said finally but one other thing. COVID-19 (identified in 2019) is a coronavirus, which we (scientists, medical professionals) have experience with these in the past such as SARS and MERS. A main part of our success in developing a vaccine for COVID so quickly was not only the work with mRNA but also with SARS and MERS. So it is not like we started from scratch in developing a vaccine for COVID-19. Many people have been working hard for years and many people worked together to build upon the work done before them. It has only been through hard work for many years and a wide open sharing of information that this vaccine was possible. The normal protection of proprietary information by companies to protect profits was done away with for the greater good. There are many, many people that deserve our gratitude and admiration for the hard work and this goes far beyond our medical professionals and scientists. I am proud they were able to come together so quickly and work together so well. I just wish we as a society appreciated their efforts more.

And I guess one more point. I’m sure people have died due to the vaccine and that is beyond unfortunate. Just like people died due to COVID-19 due to unknown issues, the same happened with vaccines. But I would think those numbers, based on a few articles I’ve been able to find are less than 100. Considering more than 500,000 have died directly due to COVID, it would be silly to stop the vaccinations when there is such a large disparity. Yes we would like the number to be 0 but people aren’t perfect and neither are vaccines. To dispose of something that can save 99.99999% of lives because it isn’t 100% is asinine and actually criminal. Would I sacrifice one of my kids or myself to save 10 million people, I personally would but not everyone would.

Sorry for the long post but this is a complex topic. I am not a medical professional and did not know even close to this much information last year. But I wanted to learn about it. I wanted to educate myself as friends and family often look to me for advice or my opinion. I also wanted to be able to do what was best for my family and the best way for me to do that was to arm myself with knowledge and make the best decisions for me and my family. I now feel knowledgeable about this topic and am confident in my decision to get the vaccine for my wife and I and my kids when they can.
    Likes bob m, BudgetPlan1, William_Wallace liked this post
    Thanks bob m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maurofc70 View Post
    dgage....I also served in the army...from 1958 to 1962....I also have a gun...with this crazy world today...I am glad I have one...I moved from N.Y to Florida thinking Florida was different....maybe years ago it was ...I live near Jacksonville and the killings are awful...you watch TV and we all see military men and women with no arms or legs...we need to take better care of them instead spending money who knows on migrants who are crossing in to our country...what"s wrong with that picture...One more thing if you you don`t like our country ...move
    Fair enough and thank you for giving so much to our country. Immigration is a big issue but they didn’t make us Americans selfish.
    Likes bob m liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Dgage, I agree with much of what you posted. There are people who are smarter than me on both sides of the issue.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Welp I have a funny story my one older neighbor I’m chatting with and I bring up the way I was able to find a shot and the old buck shoots back at me I don’t need a fringing shot for the “kung-flu” I was laughing my arse off but I was stuck there for 20 minutes being polite listening to whack a doodle stuff.
    Maybe he thinks your talking whack a doodle stuff
    Lots of lemmings on here

Post Thanks / Like

So anyone who is looking for the shot go on tonight anywhere from Midnight to 5am to CVS and rite aid and keep trying the schedule will update and you will know because there will be a lot of appointments they are usually filed by 9:00am on that same Sunday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread, it shows that Autopians, who all love detailing, are also a true cross-section of our great country, and all its wonderful diversity.

Lonnie, since you mentioned the TSA (I think there was some big story on TV just before they created the TSA, I don`t remember exactly but I think it was on the TV for more than just one day), it`s a good thing you don`t live in NJ!! Since we all love our vehicles, most of you would just be shocked at some of the things they force us to do here, before I could drive a car I had to get a license, and not only did I have to pay for it, I had to take a test, too! Then they made me pay for a metal plate to put on my car, and buy insurance also. Not only that, they make me take my car to inspection every 2 years (but when I bought a new car, they let me go for five years the first time, so they aren`t really bad people).

The worst part is they make me pay over and over again for this stuff. What a racket! Be glad you don`t live in NJ! OH, I almost forgot, after I got my car I came to this forum, and wanted to polish it, but I didn`t have an outlet in the right place in my garage. I called an electrician to put one in, but he said I had to get a permit, that I would have to pay for, and he had to follow some big rule book, that they changed all the time. Be glad you don`t live in NJ!

And the people who brought up masks...sheesh. One time I had to have an operation, and everyone was wearing masks! I couldn`t tell who were the doctors, and who were the nurses. They all went to school for a long time to get those jobs, they should know that viruses are too small to be filtered out by a mask! I did notice it kept them from spitting on me when they talked, though, which was a plus, because that`s just gross when that happens.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted to this thread, I know I can always count on this forum for giving me the straight skinny, no matter what the topic!
    Likes BudgetPlan1, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    So anyone who is looking for the shot go on tonight anywhere from Midnight to 5am to CVS and rite aid and keep trying the schedule will update and you will know because there will be a lot of appointments they are usually filed by 9:00am on that same Sunday morning.
    Got an appt this morning at 6:30 AM at Walgreens for later in the week. I didn`t have a lot of choices on location or dates but there were several times to choose from.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes bob m, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    they should know that viruses are too small to be filtered out by a mask! !
    They know that its BS- but they have to play the narrative. The virus particles are sub micron I`m pretty sure and no stupid cloth mask is going to filter those out.
    People can smell fried chicken when wearing them and they think a mask is going to stop the virus-- WOW!
    People accusing other who dont wear them as being selfish need to look in the mirror- they are the selfish ones

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    They know that its BS- but they have to play the narrative. The virus particles are sub micron I`m pretty sure and no stupid cloth mask is going to filter those out.
    People can smell fried chicken when wearing them and they think a mask is going to stop the virus-- WOW!
    People accusing other who dont wear them as being selfish need to look in the mirror- they are the selfish ones
    Take a drink and spit it out. Now spit the drink out with a mask on. Yeah, masks do nothing.

It isn’t about the size of the individual particle. It is the CONCENTRATION of virus in the air. If you inhale a SINGLE particle, your chances of getting sick are practically zero. If you inhale a whole bunch of particles concentrated in the air, you’re more likely to get sick.

Think of it like sperm. It only takes one sperm to fertilize an egg but a few hundred MILLION sperm are released during sex.
    Likes bob m, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information