Post Thanks / Like
    Being new to this forum I just now noticed the numerous postings about the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION which should be addressed.

First, the IDA does not yet have 100 members as was hoped for, but we have started the nomination process for the Board of Directors and by the end of this week will close the nominations. And the Nominating Committee will select a slate of candidates.

Second, there are many detailers who have the "what`s in it for me" attitude and that is their right. If a person does not see the value of joining and association such as the IDA, then certainly, don`t join. They say an "opportunity" is not an opportunity unless a person recognizes it as one.

Third, the Professional Detailing Association founded in 1989 and functioned until 1994 did not fold. At the time they "merged" with the International Carwash Association they had 500 members; had conducted 15 nationwide detail seminars; published a quarterly magazine, The Detailer and a month membership newsletter, The Detail Dialogue; published a Glossary of Detail Terms; had a Detailing Pavillion at the car wash expo for which we received a $1.00 per square foot of space.

The mistake that was made was the Board agreed to the merger with a number of promises that were not fulfilled and everything that the PDA had built for the detailing industry was destroyed and until the Formation Committee for the IDA got together there was nothing done.

The goal of the IDA is of course to replicate all that the PDA has done in the 90`s and with membership support it will be done.

Certainly there are those of you who will not join until you see what the IDA can and will do and that is ok. And, there are those of you who want to be a contributor and a part of the growth of this association and you are welcomed and encouraged to join.

As for the "other" association it is up to the detailers to determine which association best meets their needs.

The IDA has attempted from the beginning to be completely transparent, publishing our bylaws on the forum, being quite public about how the Board of Directors are elected, officers appointed and for how long.

We have published articles for detailers to read to evaluate the performance of the associations to see which meeting the proper critieria for a trade association.

Many industries have more than one association and it is possible that the detailing industry can support two associations.

Hope this answers many of the questions that you might have about the IDA

Regards

Marnie Joseph

Secretary

IDA

Post Thanks / Like
    I still don`t quite understand how joining an association such as this one will directly benefit us. If anyone can join your organization, how do you know it`s not hacks that are joining it? It`s not like the ASE where there are certain standards to be met. Will you be standardizing all members/companies?
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the NAPD (or whatever it is). When I was talking with them at the Tampa Mobile Tech Expo I was amazed at their attitudes... It wasn`t what they provided for me but what I could provide for them....

And they wanted me to pay money...

There basis, detailing has made me money so I should give some back. I shoud volunteer my time to make them better....

My basis, I made myself money and if I am paying them money I expect something in return...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with the majority here. What exactly is the point of the assoiciation? Not nessecerially "what can you do for me?" but more so what the heck do you (as an association) do period?? Plenty of open public forums out there for the detailers of the world to log on and converse with. We all share our pictures and guide new people getting into the biz good solid advice (for the most part) What exactly is the point of an assoiciation to this field? By the sounds of the associations out there it`s all about pay money first and then everything gets treated like an open forum for ask and answer second... Dosen`t make a lot of sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully, standards are in the future of this industry, which can help the professionals who spend a lot of money on training, insurance, and other expenditures, get the respect and $$ they deserve.

I am helping my city with a new license program this fall. No longer will "mobile detailers" walk in and pay $30 and have a license mailed to them within three days. There will be standards and if not met, they don`t get to work. If they do, they will be fined by the city.

Any association should work to promote professionalism of its industry and educate the consumer at the same time. Simply belonging and paying dues is not enough.

It won`t be an easy process, but if the pros see standards as a longterm positive, then it will happen. Education works this way now- standards per grade level. Every business should have a set of standards for itself- as the driving force. If you are not working up to a standard, what are you doing?

Hope this helps us think about this topic some more... Rob Regan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WCD
    Hopefully, standards are in the future of this industry, which can help the professionals who spend a lot of money on training, insurance, and other expenditures, get the respect and $$ they deserve.
    Just because someone has been trained, is insured & spends money doesn`t mean they deserve respect. Respect goes hand in hand with experience, integrity & accomplishments and takes time to build.

I am helping my city with a new license program this fall. No longer will "mobile detailers" walk in and pay $30 and have a license mailed to them within three days. There will be standards and if not met, they don`t get to work. If they do, they will be fined by the city.

Are you referring to mobil detailers breaking laws? I can`t believe a city would open themselves up to a possible lawsuit by not allowing someone to operate because they didn`t meet a detailing standard. Who`s making up these standards and what gives them the right to stop someone from making a living? One person`s acceptable standards could mean bottom of the barrel to someone else. I know people in the several different markets & others on car car forums where they consider themselves professionals and I wouldn`t even let them wash my car.

Any association should work to promote professionalism of its industry and educate the consumer at the same time. Simply belonging and paying dues is not enough.

It won`t be an easy process, but if the pros see standards as a longterm positive, then it will happen. Education works this way now- standards per grade level. Every business should have a set of standards for itself- as the driving force. If you are not working up to a standard, what are you doing?

Promoting professionalism and educating the consumer is 2 totally different concepts and the latter can`t always apply to all consumers. Selling tactics and ability to communicate an industry standard to the public isn`t something that all professional detailers are able to administrate. Is this professional detailing association also training people the standard way to dress, speak & operate a business above and beyond learning how to properly detail a vehicle? Sounds like a vocational reform business school.

Are these standards only being pushed onto mobile detailers or will all the auto related businesses need to fit this criteria?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you referring to mobil detailers breaking laws? I can`t believe a city would open themselves up to a possible lawsuit by not allowing someone to operate because they didn`t meet a detailing standard. Who`s making up these standards and what gives them the right to stop someone from making a living? One person`s acceptable standards could mean bottom of the barrel to someone else. I know people in the several different markets & others on car car forums where they consider themselves professionals and I wouldn`t even let them wash my car.

I was mainly referring to those that get a license and don`t follow the laws. They don`t contain water, nothing is OSHA approved on their vehicle (safety gear, MSDS sheets, etc.). I waved to a guy yesterday working in a parking lot. He was there washing cars with no water containment. What I`m trying to do is work with the city to set a minimal standard for licensing that follows the law. Perhaps a bi-annual check showing the equipment or that you are using it will work? Calabasas, CA. just banned all mobile detailers. I don`t want my city becoming this frustrated. Car washes get inspected, why not mobile detailers? If you follow the law, then it`s no big deal.

Promoting professionalism and educating the consumer is 2 totally different concepts and the latter can`t always apply to all consumers. Selling tactics and ability to communicate an industry standard to the public isn`t something that all professional detailers are able to administrate. Is this professional detailing association also training people the standard way to dress, speak & operate a business above and beyond learning how to properly detail a vehicle? Sounds like a vocational reform business school.

You are right. These are two different concepts. The detailing schools that I know of focus about 1/3 the training on running a business vs. just the detailing. This falls under the operation. Too many guys spend money learning how to correct paint, but do not know or understand how to operate and grow a business. I think standardizing how to dress is a bit dramatic. Climate and location would obviously dictate that. I can wear nice shorts most of the time, but have to wear pants at the golf clubs.

What I meant about communication is that the association should work to do this, not just the detailer. Associations need to work to benefit their own purposes and goals (the success of detailers). Not every business owner is a good communicator as you stated. However, if you are not good at communicating with people, you might want to hire someone who is.

This is a service business. When I look for a possible employee, I am not interested in all about any previous detailing experience (I frown on it). I want someone that stands out as a being good with people and having a certain "flare" about him/her. I want someone that can interact with customers vs. a detailer that won`t pick up the phone because he/she is cleaning.

It will be interesting, or maybe not, how the next few years go. Time and other factors cause change. Now we have "eco" products and water smart products. These were laughed at years ago and many were tossed off the forums due to their spamming, but now I`m using some of them with great success (marketing) and I always thought detailing began with a water tank and pressure washer. ??

Hopefully, more and more detailers make the trips to trade shows where we can continue meeting and networking to promote what we do and help the public see the value in our service.

Rob Regan

Thread Information