Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Angelucci and myself are in the process of establishing a new detailing association. The association is open to all types of detailers, fixed or mobile.

We currently have a survey online at www.detailersassociation.com :we are seeking input from all detailers as what they would like to see the new association do for them.

We already have the Department of Automotive Technology at Southern Illinois University Carbondale assisting us with creating technical service bulletins for detailers.

Detailers from all across North America and beyond are welcome to join. The membership is currently free until the association becomes fully established.

For further information please contact Brian or myself

bangelucci@detailersassociation.com, or jhammill@detailersassociation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What do Pro detailers get from becoming part of this. I don`t want to come off as a d!ck, but you say it is free until everything is up and running.

What will the fee be?

I am not into giving money to people, when I don`t know what the return will be for me.

Any other info, email it to me

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this on another forum and have the same concern that NY Detailer has.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with NYDetailer on this one , what will the detailer get from this association ? Also what assurnace woud there be that any hack that calls himself a detailer can join and be called and member of the Detailers Association thus making him the real thing? Don`t get me wrong there is interest in such a program but there needs to be a outline of how it will work. Please post what you have in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    NY detailer, thanks for your questions.

Among many of the things we are trying to do for detailers are:

-assistance with Business Insurance and Health Insurance

-Buying groups for discounts

-Networking opportunities

-Training certification

- Providing Technical Information Sheets , which the Department of Automotive Technology at The Southern University of Illinois Carbondale is assisiting us in the production of.

-Annual conventions, golf outtings, dinners, awards, etc.

-Tried and tested detailing products -- give the "PDTA Seal of Approval"

-Assistance with OSHA and EPA compliance.

-Marketing programs

All of these ideas have come from other detailers who have told us this is what they want from an association. Please visit the web site and take the survey, tell us what you would like an association to provide for you. This association will be run by detailers for detailers, providing practical advice from people who are out working in the industry on a day to day basis.

Thanks.

Jim.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious that a person with one post to the premier detailing site... well, you can fill in the rest.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Criteria for membership is currently being finalized, things like proof of insurance, licence, any qualifications such as ASE or being certified by recognized training program.

Jim Hammill.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, there is no licensing, ASE could care less about detailers, and `recognized` training programs are usually mfg sponsered, so...

Check with Bud, He`ll have all the answers.

I`ve an open mind. Good Luck.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    To me this seems to create an `authority` on detailing which doesn`t seem to offer many benefits for the working detailer. I`m sure all of the pros on this board knows what works for them and one of the strengths here is the sharing of information regarding products, tools, tips, etc. I honestly don`t know where I would find any more information on detailing. I personally feel that your criteria for being a `detailer` such as proof of insurance or training certificate from a third-party (often manufacturer) would help professionalize the trade. In fact, I would go as far to say that people who are excellent at what they do but smaller scale would shirk this type of setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a member of the Professional Detailing Association when I first started and they didn`t ask for anything other than dues (initially about $25 a year) and sent me out a certificate and sticker for my car. They had no idea if I was a good detailer or a hacker. I got a quarterly newletter and occasionally I would get free samples from distributers. When they raised the dues to $80 a year, I quit. Just not enough benefit.

What is important in any such organization is a way to verify their members are who they say they are and offer tangible benefits. Too often, you have to jump through hoops to get the perks (sort of like with rebates, make it hard enough and few will actually take advantage). What kind of assurances do we have your organization will be different? Not trying to slam you or anything, I`m just curious how you will go about all this.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    jimamary, there are many requirements for a licence in most States, in my state you have to have a business licence in order to get insurance . Perhaps I should have been clearer, a licence to do business , not a licence to detail, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Scottwax, great comments, thank you.

Too many legit detailers are being hurt by hacks who can undercut their prices by 25-50 % because they dont have insurance, or are not in compliance with EPA regulations etc. Why should the legitamate businessman suffer becuase of that ?

Most of the detailers who I speak to are currently paying about 12-1500 a year for insurance , that was the number one request for assistance with in the survey we have on the web site. Brian has been working with several insurance companies to try and find someone who specializes in insuring mobile and fixed detail bays without charging the earth. He is currently working with two insurance companies to try and get group rates , or a discount for association members.

We are also working with one major supplier right now to get a discount scheme in place for members, no rebates or anything like that, simply call in, tell them your membership number and get your discount.

I would also like to add that the association will be run by detailers for detailers, not by the suppliers or distrubitors, but by the regular guys in the shops and vans who have to fight it out everyday.

Everyone, please go and take the survey, tell us exactly what you would want to see from the association, what you would like to get out of it.

There is no charge, all the current expenses are being paid by Brian and myself , so if it all goes south through a lack of intrest, we will be the only ones out of pocket.

We welcome all suggestions and involvement, positive or otherwise.

Jim Hammill.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the goals of this organization?

I say the only requirement to join be that you have a business license. There are plenty of small time operations out there that don`t care or have the money for the other stuff but still do a quality job. I know I`m not going to run out and take a training class for detailing so I can join. I don`t think it would help me out at all.

Compared to other trades, detailing doesn`t actually require that much skill (not saying it doesn`t require any though)... It`s mostly labor.

What would be the most helpfull though is learning how to market your detailing business better, etc. That seems to be where most start-up professional detailers have their problems. I`d see the biggest help being infomation on how to actually run your business more effeciently.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

New Jersey -- Attitude Capital of the World!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone’s skepticism is understandable and justified since the last detailing association disappeared into the ICA. The ICA is a great association, don’t get me wrong but not enough detailers joined and spoke up so favoritism leaned more towards the big business of carwashing and the detailer was forgotten.

NY detailer & Intel486

What do you get out of the association? Question should be “what do you want out of an association?†We have a survey on the website (www.detailersassociation.com) to find out what a detailer is willing to pay for and what they need to make their business succeed faster and easier -- or to even help them stay in business. Right now we’re still in the start-up phase and recruiting as many detailers as we can to find out what they want.

OK, so what will you get? I’ll reinforce everything Jim Hammill said. Our main focus right now is to make available business insurance (mainly general liability) and health insurance for mobile and fixed detailers. Mobile detailers have it the hardest right now because most insurance companies will not cover them. Out of the all the mobile detailers we have signed up, only a few have received business insurance. Half of that number has health insurance. With enough people, insurance companies will recognize the demand and provide -- usually at a much more affordable rate then obtaining it on your own. If you have a mobile detailing business and have insurance, congratulations -- you’re very lucky. Insurance companies these days are slamming the door in the contractor’s face BUT if enough people demand, especially through an association they usually will provide.

The association will provide members with Technical Service Bulletins the dealers and schools receive from the manufacturers. Detailers usually never see these but we will now thanks to our associate, the Department of Automotive Technology at The Southern University of Illinois Carbondale and Auto International. Only the lucky few have access to these.

Another perk of membership is participating in a buyers group. We have several detailing chemical companies willing to give deep discounts with a buying group. You’d probably pay for the membership fee just from the savings alone with a buyers group.

detailbarn, a hack wouldn’t usually pay for good equipment let alone an association membership due. If he does, then usually that means he wants to better himself and his business -- which wouldn‘t qualify him as a hack.

But to make sure we don’t sign hacks up, we will require a “Doing Business As†certificate. This is the registration document you get when registering your business at the County Clerk’s office. After you fax us a copy of the certificate, the association will call the County Clerk’s office in the state you’re doing business in just to verify. No privacy will be violated, just a simple question -- “Is so and so, of this company registered to do business?â€

ncal, It wouldn’t hurt to get ASE certified in Paint Refinishing. Just another achievement of excellence to post on your portfolio.

Bottom line is, we’re here to help and no push anything on you. If you’d like to join, beautiful. If not, goodluck with business and we’d enjoy keeping in touch and reading your posts on the forum.
    Brian Angelucci

Precision Auto & Marine

Professional Detailing Technician`s Association

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Texas, all I needed was a DBA to set up business banking, etc. Cost me $6. No license needed.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

New Jersey -- Attitude Capital of the World!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Intel,

How can you say detailing doesn`t take much skill?
    Brian Angelucci

Precision Auto & Marine

Professional Detailing Technician`s Association

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information