Post Thanks / Like

First time poster, first time PoorBoys user...large pics.

(originally posted at the corvetteforum.com)
    Thanks to PoorBoys for the bonus MF towel
    and the trial size of SSR 2.5 included in my
    first order of SSR1, SSR2, EX and Natty`s.
    I thought that was VERY cool of them!

My mission was to remove what I thought were
    light swirl marks and surface scratches, I feel
    that the applications were somewhat succesful
    but not 100% as you will see. I must also point
    out that this was my first time ever using a
    powered polisher/buffer of any kind. I learned
    a lot from this experience and I feel confident
    that my next attempt will yield even better results.

Products used in order of application:
    1. NXT car wash

2. Blackfire Clay

3. Porter Cable 7424, pads and backing plate from www.properautocare.com

4. Poorboys SSR 1 with white polish pad at speed 5 (no real improvement, moved to the next product)

5. Poorboys SSR 2, same pad type, same speed (again, no noticeable improvement)

6. Poorboys SSR 2.5 same pad type, same speed (some improvement but I became skeptical after the 2.5 that my swirls were deeper than I originally thought. The SSR products themselves seemed really good)

7. 3M Perfect It SMR #39009 with the Orange compound pad speed 5 (slightly better than the PB 2.5 for my problem)

7 1/2. I did use a small amount of 3M Perfect It II compound "fine cut" #39002 in a small 16x16 area and then followed it with the 3M SMR as the bottle dictates. Being a novice, I got a little scared using the compound but it did seem to work the best. I don`t feel confident enough to compound the whole car yet and I`m currently looking for other options but as a "Go To" product I`d have to say the 3M compound impressed me the most. After all of this I figured I`d let my paint and myself rest a while and do some more home work before getting super aggressive.

8. Poorboys EX Sealant with the red pad speed 4 (NICE STUFF...very creamy and rich, it made my finish seem deeper and more reflective at the same time, well reflective might be the wrong word but certainly DEEPER!!!!.)

9. Natty`s Paste Wax applied by hand with a MF applicator pad (This stuff was delicious for my finish. Previously I`d only used NXT and Meg`s #26, I`d say Natty`s is just as rich and creamy and the finish did seem a little more WET looking than the Meg`s products.)

I was planning on applying one more coat of Natty`s today but unfortunately "life" got in the way. I will be adding at least 2 more coats of Natty`s very soon.

All of the polishes and SMR`s were worked in very well, at least worked until dusting and then even a little more. The before & after pics were taken in my garage with flourescents above and camera flash on, it was night time when I began so I couldn`t get any direct sunlight shots. The hood reflection pic was after everything mentioned above at almost dusk the next day.

I know this is a L-O-N-G post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible, I`m hoping by being so descriptive, one of you "Mad Scientist" detailers could give me a few pointers? I`d rather use the PB products but the largest improvement as far as I could tell was from the 3M. Do I dare use SSR3?

I`ll be lurking...

Before: Swirls are quite visable:

After: Swirls are slightly less...

Hood reflection:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time poster, first time PoorBoys user...large pics.

How long are you working the polishes? Move up to a cutting pad with SSR2.5 before pulling out the SSR3.

OCC fan, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TW85
    How long are you working the polishes? Move up to a cutting pad with SSR2.5 before pulling out the SSR3.

OCC fan, eh?
    I don`t have a cutting pad but I`m certainly not opposed to getting one. I worked them VERY hard. I spent probably 8 to 10 minutes in a 2ftx2ft spot. You think I should work it even longer? Basically the polish starts dusting after about 4 to 5 minutes beyond that it started to almost disappear. Do you recommend a specific cutting pad I could try for my next attempt?

OCC...actually my wife got me hooked on that show, now we`re both addicted

TIA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

:yeah

but multiple passes may be needed to get the results you are looking for.
    One pass with a polishing pad will not cure what we see in those pictures.
    Also I might suggest just kicking the PC up a slight bit to 5.5, as strange as it sound it really makes a difference at least when I use a pc.
    I also would not suggest going up to SSR3 until you are very experienced with the pc at #6 or move up to a rotary...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    :yeah

but multiple passes may be needed to get the results you are looking for.
    One pass with a polishing pad will not cure what we see in those pictures.
    Also I might suggest just kicking the PC up a slight bit to 5.5, as strange as it sound it really makes a difference at least when I use a pc.
    I also would not suggest going up to SSR3 until you are very experienced with the pc at #6 or move up to a rotary...
    Thanks for the advice...there was one 2x2ft area on my hood that I went over about 3 times with SSR 2, I did try speed 6 but the damn pc almost flew out of my hand, I think I need a different counter weight? One click over 5 was my main SSR speed. I wasn`t able to use the SSR 2.5 for more than one pass (trial size) but I`ll order the larger bottle and go at it if you think that`s best? What about pads??? Polish pad good enough or something more aggresive?

I really like your products so far...I was turned on to them by a Corvette Forum member that did an AMAZING job on a black vette using SSR,EX and Natty`s with a PC. Basically I just followed his advice.

Thanks again...

Post Thanks / Like

The PC shouldn`t at all be thrown off the panel, you gotta restrain it. Maybe you need a new counterweight, but that just deals with the vibrations on the panel. Don`t be afraid at all to work it @ 6. It seems way more uniform and controlled for me. Polish pad is a very smart move.

I have used 3M Rubbing Compound Fine Cut and it does seemed to help on more neglected surfaces compared to SSR2.5 in my experience. However 2.5 is a good polish to have around for Medium abrasiveness.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bak-N-Blk
    ...I was turned on to them by a Corvette Forum member that did an AMAZING job on a black vette using SSR,EX and Natty`s with a PC. Basically I just followed his advice.

Thanks again...
    Don`t forget the Red Vette.

HI.

I did my best giving him advice, Steve. Sometimes it`s just hard to give advice without seeing pics first or seeing the car in person. I try to get people to post here, though when I feel I`m in over my head. I don`t know everything. (YET-hehehe)
    2002 Torch Red Corvette (Mine)
    1998 Carmine Red Corvette (Dad)
    2003 Ford Lightning (Dad)
    2005 Honda Civic(Brother)
    2004 Acura RL (Mom)

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bak-N-Blk
    Thanks for the advice...there was one 2x2ft area on my hood that I went over about 3 times with SSR 2, I did try speed 6 but the damn pc almost flew out of my hand, I think I need a different counter weight? One click over 5 was my main SSR speed. I wasn`t able to use the SSR 2.5 for more than one pass (trial size) but I`ll order the larger bottle and go at it if you think that`s best? What about pads??? Polish pad good enough or something more aggresive?

I really like your products so far...I was turned on to them by a Corvette Forum member that did an AMAZING job on a black vette using SSR,EX and Natty`s with a PC. Basically I just followed his advice.

Thanks again...
    yes i agree 6 takes a bit of getting use to and I prefer to usually just kick it down a little to 5.5 , you`ll feel the difference in your hands. On black I would not use anything more aggressive than the polishing pad until you practice a bit more and really have an understanding of the machine and the products too.
    One more point is that everyone`s car and paint problems are different and you may need to adjust your process to meet your needs which may not be the same as someone elses. Find what works best for you and then try to slowly improve it.:hippi
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information