Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult to applying EX-P

I pre cleaned my honda and expedition this weekend with s100 pre cleaner. Then I coated them both with VM. I decided to put the EX-P on the honda. I used a foam applicator and also tried a microfiber applicator I got from scott. I read on the directions and misted clay lub on the applicator. It seemed like I had to used a lot to get a good solid coating. Is this normal? I was barley putting a drop of vm on and it was going to long way. The ex-p was VERY thick. Any help will be appreciated. I go to get those pics up also.
    2008 Black Sap. Bmw 535i Speed
    2008 Jet Black Bmw X3 3.0 si
    email bimmerclubnc@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Difficult to applying EX-P

Hmmm. Maybe you need a different app. I have used MF Apps misted with some QD and it helps, but watch out you don`t dilute too much. Did you shake EX-P? What was the temperature?

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem applying it with a PB PVA applicator. Changing to a yellow meguiars applicator made it easier, but it still had a bit of drag.

This was in the dead heat of a Memphis summer so humidity was at its peak.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EBPcivicsi
    I had the same problem applying it with a PB PVA applicator. Changing to a yellow meguiars applicator made it easier, but it still had a bit of drag.

This was in the dead heat of a Memphis summer so humidity was at its peak.

BINGO! Its got a lot of drag. It was 50-60 degrees out side about 30mins before dark. I used the blue with black bottom applictor I cant think of the name of it. Its pretty popular.

Post Thanks / Like

EX-P is pretty thick and the key is to lay it down very thin. I found that I can put a thinner coat on using a finishing pad and my PC than I can by hand. I put a coat of VM and then EX-P on my Caravan on Friday (temps between 45-55?) and didn`t have any problems with it.

The first time I applied it I used a yellow foam applicator and I swore that the next time I was getting a "Handi-Grip Applicator", but I used the PC instead and never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot ness
    EX-P is pretty thick and the key is to lay it down very thin. I found that I can put a thinner coat on using a finishing pad and my PC than I can by hand. I put a coat of VM and then EX-P on my Caravan on Friday (temps between 45-55?) and didn`t have any problems with it.

The first time I applied it I used a yellow foam applicator and I swore that the next time I was getting a "Handi-Grip Applicator", but I used the PC instead and never looked back.
    Agreed, it is a breeze with the PC, but what isn`t. I wish EX-P was a bit "wetter" in application(if that makes sense).
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I have started using the PC with a Sonus DAS finishing pad to apply the first coat of EX-P and apply the second coat by hand. It is tougher to apply by hand and I have found that I can get thinner with a microfiber applicator...I`m sure a foam one would be even better but I haven`t tried it yet. EX-P is a bit on the thick side.

I find it to be easier to remove when leaving it on for 45 minutes to an hour.
    2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    Lunar Mist Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

YEA, but look how much you will have to apply to the pc. I will have to give it a try. Is the black pad ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00GREENMACHINE
    YEA, but look how much you will have to apply to the pc. I will have to give it a try. Is the black pad ok.
    It takes a tad more initially getting it on your pad, but you sort of make up for it by spreading it thinner. Once I get started I don`t need to use more than about a nickel or dime size dap on my pad (depending on the size panel I`m working). I use a Meg`s finishing pad, but if your black pad is a finish pad you should be fine. If I`m using a fresh pad I`ll give it a light spray with QD or distilled water first.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not going to answer this for Poorboy, but I`m sure he said something a while ago about applying EX-P late in the day could be a problem with dew & dampness affecting the product setting-up properly.

When there was another question about EX-P residue showing up days later, he asked me specifically if I used any brand of QD when applying EX-P. I told him I was using plain tap water to moisten the MF applicator. I think he may have been implying the different contents and formulas of various QD`s could affect his product(s) and the way they cure.

Hopefully, Poorboy will comment and verify this or shoot it down.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

I just used one of those Handi-Grip applicators for the first time with EX-P. I liked it A LOT! It applies an even coat like a PVA, but I can spread it much faster. PC application seems to work best of all, but sometimes I don`t want to go through the trouble of pulling out the machine if I am only applying to one or two panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYV6Coupe
    ........When there was another question about EX-P residue showing up days later, he asked me specifically if I used any brand of QD when applying EX-P. I told him I was using plain tap water to moisten the MF applicator. I think he may have been implying the different contents and formulas of various QD`s could affect his product(s) and the way they cure.........
    I should have been more specific when I said I put a shot of QD or distilled water on the pad. I usually just follow the instructions and for EX-P it does say a moistened pad, so for that I do use distilled water.

As for residue showing up later, I THINK I may have noticed a spot or two the first time I used it by hand. But since I started putting it on thinner with the PC I haven`t seen any residue show up. So perhaps the key is laying down a thin application.

I just used one of those Handi-Grip applicators for the first time with EX-P. I liked it A LOT!
    I couldn`t find any locally so I`ve got a couple of them coming with my Christmas order.

Post Thanks / Like

personally i`ve found that using the PC was a lot eaiser, however, ill probably have to look into those handi grip applicators.... where can i get them at?
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zesty-man
    p ill probably have to look into those handi grip applicators.... where can i get them at?
    You can pick up the Viking handle foam apps at Autozone.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

thin coats and using a damp pad when it`s not damp outside will surely eliminate a lot of minor problems...if you are doing it late in the day in the evening, allow for a longer drying time ...and yes water is betterthan QD`s for dampenning you pads
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information