Post Thanks / Like

Hey PoorBoy Steve....

I didn`t want to tread on that guy`s thread to much anymore and thought I would continue that here. Has the guy you referred to from Lockheed-Martin submitted a sample for their testing for proof from EPA inspections?

Good avice about the contract stuff. Being a professional estimator and venturing out on a business for myself (detailing because I really enjoy it) those are things I would definitely do as well as more in regards to contract law and documents. That is one reason why I`m not trying to "solely" concentrate on personal accounts.

With that said, ever since I`ve became a member here and reading posts of people detailing, I`m really confused about how people estimate their work/bids/ and are as profitable as it seems they appear to be. It seems to me some people have little time in their work, and the more confusing thing is that I believe they are not estimating their work correctly (I know, I am opening myself up for attack). I know your products are a contributing factor to help make the process quicker and better, but wow, I need some of these people in our fab shop!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey PoorBoy Steve....

Lockheed Martin test their run offs constanly and even scour through dumpsters to check every chemical used at their facility...no they haven`t given me any specific feedback, but they are quick to question and probe if there is ANYTHING that they consider suspicious.
    As for estimating it`s a tricky game, I learned a lot of that in the body shop business. If you miss any damage while estimating you often have to eat the labor even though the insurance companies were not too bad if you showed them the damaged underlying part. Front end damage was always the toughest, a bent part is not always obvious until you start straightening a frame or send it out for a front end alignmnet.
    As for detailing estimates, before I would venture to bid a large project, i would volunteer to do one of their vehicles for a small fee(to cover products) and then base it upon your findings...the worst you end up with is a one time hard job and the best could be a profitable long term contract.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey PoorBoy Steve....

Are their MSDS`s available for your waterless wash?

Yes all estimating is tricky and there is a high liability with all trades you estimate-some people I know even carry an liability insurance if they have a complete blown estimate to help cover losses. Hopefully, skill and experience help elminate most opps but they happen and man.....do I wish they don`t. Hopefully, your shops experience can overcome those opps, but sometimes they can`t.

Just in this field for example, I detailed the exteriour of an rv. It took my wife and I 10 hours. Meaning set-up to clean-up. 10 hours x 2=20 hours, not 10 and I think there are some people who would estimate this as only 10.

I`ve read a lot of archives here and on autopia and I don`t think some poeple are truly estimating their labor correctly. I`m sure you can relate to what I`m saying-not the fact there are some not doing it correctly. If I bid a job at one man at 10 hours, then it better take two men 5 hours. Hence, 5 men it better take 2 hours. If not, then bye bye any profit.

Thread Information