Thread: Ssr1 & Ssr2?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ssr1 & Ssr2?

Hi guys,

Question for you all. I am about to put an order in with Steve for some stuff. I have a burgandy Ford truck and was gonna go with this after talking with Steve.

SSR2
    EX Sealant
    Nattys

Now my wife has a light blue BMW. Do you think I should go with the same regimen, or should I use SSR1 or SSR2 down to SSR1?

Sorry for the n00b question, just want to make sure I get it right. Also I would say its safe to assume I can clay my truck and the wife`s car prior to using the SSR line?

Thanks in advance,

Jag

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi jag,

If you`ve never clayed either vehicle, I`d definitely do it. Surface prep is everything but IMHO I think it`s only required twice a year depending on where you live & weather conditions.

I`d start out with SSR1 & assess the results before moving on to a more abrasive product.

Are you using a PC or doing this by hand?
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Boss_429
    Jaguar,

I think that combo will work fine on the wife`s BMW too. However, on the light blue color, EX-P might (I say might) give you a bit nicer look.................. depending on who is doing the "looking"! If you don`t want to buy two (or three) products, I think you`ll be happy with the EX (or EX-P, or PWC)

The SSR1 is a really nice "very light" polish. It does seem to add some additional gloss, even over SSR2. Still, I don`t think you will notice a "big" difference.

Have fun.

In the end, I think you will be happy with the SSR2/EX/Natty`s no matter what you put it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replys. Do you guys feel that SSR2 is much more abrasive than 1? Im still trying to figure out if I even need a level 2.

What are your thoughts?

Jag

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay should be on that list and P-W-C as well. Depending on the swril factor I would look at SSR1 before 2.0
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jaguar
    Thanks for the replys. Do you guys feel that SSR2 is much more abrasive than 1? Im still trying to figure out if I even need a level 2.

What are your thoughts?

Jag
    SSR2 is somewhat more abrasive than SSR1, but there`s not a dramatic difference. Stepping up to SSR2.5 will result in a big jump in abrasiveness.

How would you describe the condition of the cars (age, parking indoor/outdoor, hand washed, brush washed, never washed, etc.)? It would help if you could post some close-up pictures of the surfaces.

Generally speaking, I would also agree with Boss`s recommendation to go with EX-P for the BMW and EX for the Ford (based on the colors).
    Last edited by awd330; 09-16-2004 at 12:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that the SSR 2.5 works well for problem areas followed by SSR 1 or PWC (or Sonus Paint Cleanser) over the entire car. I also think that Boss429 & awd330 are on the mark with their last step recommendations...EX does look better on darker cars and EX-P looks great on light cars & metallics. Is your wife`s car the light blue metallic? EX-P really looks great on that color!
    2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    Lunar Mist Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

My truck is an 03 and my wife`s car is an 01. Both cars are garage kept. Washing is done by hand (when I can do it) if not a brushless car wash. The paint is in pretty good condition on both. These vehicles are not beat on by any means.

I can`t get pics up today but I can tell you that on my truck, I have some fine scratches on the hood. They are not very deep. The only thing I can think it *might* be from is from cleaning off snow with a snow brush in the winter. As for my wife`s car, I am not sure I would have to look at it again tonight.

And yes my wife`s car is the light blue metallic color.

Thanks for all of the replys. You guys have been a big help.

Jag
    Last edited by Jaguar; 09-16-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I went ahead and ordered some SSR2. I just hope that its not too "abrasive" for the finish. :dunno

I will let you guys know the results as soon as I get a chance to use the product.

And based on the weather report, it should be soon.

Boss_429
    Jaguar,

You will be fine!

Indeed, keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK guys here is the scoop, plus a few more questions.

I washed, clayed, used SSR2 and got two coats of EX on my truck today!

Everything went pretty smooth. I would say that I am still not sure if I needed the SSR2. There are still some swirls in the paint however. And at some points, it seemed as if the SSR2 made it worse? Not sure about that tho. Perhaps it is because I did it by hand. Any thoughts on that would be cool.

Now.. since winter will be here before you know it, I am wondering....

Should I still top the EX with Natty`s? Or will the EX give me more protection over the long run? The bottle claims 6-9 months protection. Also if I do top with Natty`s is it necessary to wait a FULL 24 hours before I top it? I would also assume that once I top with Natty`s, I can only top with Natt`s after that. Or else I would have to being the entire regimen again?

Next time I am thinking about just using the SSR1. I dont have an orbital or pc (never used one and me scared...lol) Not of the machine but of killing my paint.

I know I am rambling but if you guys could share some insight with me, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jag

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump.

Anyone????

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jaguar
    Now.. since winter will be here before you know it, I am wondering....

Should I still top the EX with Natty`s? Or will the EX give me more protection over the long run? The bottle claims 6-9 months protection. Also if I do top with Natty`s is it necessary to wait a FULL 24 hours before I top it? I would also assume that once I top with Natty`s, I can only top with Natt`s after that. Or else I would have to being the entire regimen again?
    You can top the EX with the Natty`s. I think it will not only add to the look, but it may also help with the durability. I guess I am from the school of thought that every little bit helps.

I would say give it some time inbetween coats of Natty`s. Maybe add another coat a day later to ensure ful coverage.

Yes, you can only top with another carnauba after the Natty`s, as I don`t think EX would bond properly if it is put on top of Natty`s.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, get the PC. It is very beginner friendly.
    You really can`t harm your paint if you follow procedures you can find here at DC.
    It makes swirl removal more thorough and quicker also.

I just did and I love it. SSR2.5 and SSR1 with the PC was easy and quick.
    It removed almost all light to medium swirls and marks. Only the deepest remain.
    I then put on 2 coats of EX.
    Next I will top with Natty`s and Natty`s again periodically through the winter.
    That should protect the EX til next spring when I will do it all again.
    Last edited by gnev8; 09-21-2004 at 09:50 AM.
    95 Acura Legend Sedan - Granada Black Pearl
    97 Toyota Landcruiser - 40th Anniversary Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply`s and suggestions. I think I may wait till next spring to go for the pc. Unless I can convince the wife it will make her car look even better! :naughty

I think I will definitely go for the Natty`s as as topper then. That will have to be tomorrow tho so I get the 24 hours plus of EX bonding.

Jag

Thread Information