Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

To Poorboy`s Steve

Hello, I could have ask these questions in pmming you, but Im sure other newbies like me would want to hear it as well.

Im a newbie, who loves cars and clean them, up until now, I only knew just one kind wax(meguire) to finish the car that is washed up. Now that I came across you guys about detailing, I would want to learn more. Since I dont have the pc, and alot of ppl are using poorboys product, what would you recommend me to get?

I went to the poorboys web and there are too much stuff, lil complicated. Would you tell me which stuffs I need for my car?
    I have recently repainted my car and very happy with the result. but now that I know what orengepeel is like, and the more I look at it, I find the imperfections. Its not very noticeble but I would want to cover them up. so Please let me know which products I would need and the steps to use them.(ssr1,ssr2?,ssr3? wax? sealent, I would get them all if I need them. but please tell me the steps to do it, and which products I might need). I dont have much scratches as its only one month old.

and also How would I maintain my car clean? Its dark colour.
    I use washing mit from local canadian tire shop, by simoz or something, is this ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    oh yeah, eventually, I will put my hands on pc but for the time being, I will be doing everything by hands. I know its very inefficent, but this is how it is for now.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First Welcome to DC and you will find a wealth of knowledge here.

Working by hand you will have to live with the orange peel, unless you learn to wet/dry sand. I don`t recommend this unless you have a good mentor by your side. The imperfections will take time, but you can slowly remove them. When you said you repainted the car, I am assuming that you had a base- coat clearcoat paint put on the car, (where you will not see color coming off during polishing).
    Most of the SSR`s will not be need, hopefully for quite a while. You probably would want to get SSR1 for now to smooth out the finish and add a little gloss to a dark color. From there it`s pretty simple. You can go a number of different routes:
    Polish w/ Carnauba(PwC) is a nice base, especially if this is a daily driver in Canada, if it`s a garage queen for the winter this step could be skipped.
    EX ...looks great on dark colors and really brings out a deep gloss and warmth ...this is extremely easy by hand as is the PwC.
    At this point you can stop wait an hour and add a second coat to ensure a good even layer of EX on the vehicle.
    Then wait a day and make your next decision...do you want to just add another coat of EX or do you want to add a coat of Natty`s Paste Wax on top, which will bring a more brighter and wet look to the finish. (see a few of Clean Dean`s posts for the look he gets)
    Remember that once you go to Natty`s, you would have to start all over if you wanted to add more EX, but you can just add another coat of Natty`s periodically if you do top it with Natty`s.
    One last note....detailing is very subjective as to looks and you may need to experiment to find the combination of products(mine and/or others) to achieve the look YOU want.
    Good luck and never be afraid to ask questions....because as Big Bird on Sesame Street always says," asking questions is a good way to find thing out" (obviously I`ve been couped up with little kids too long )

Steve

oh yeah...maintence ...get some Spray and Wipe for in between full washes and a good supply of microfibers, which I should have also mentioned before. Use a good 100% cotton mitt that holds a lot of water and suds for washing and always have 2 buckets, one to wash and one to rinse the mitt in... a good way to check if you have a good mitt is to make sure it releases the dirt back into the clean bucket, so that you are not returning dirt to the finish...one last comment, always work back and forth to help inducing swirls
    Last edited by Poorboy; 09-15-2004 at 07:55 AM.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah

Follow his advise. He`ll always treat you right and guide you straight.........and :welcome
    Last edited by JimS; 09-15-2004 at 08:12 AM.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To Poorboy`s Steve

Originally posted by mpower1226
    Hello, I could have ask these questions in pmming you, but Im sure other newbies like me would want to hear it as well.

Im a newbie, who loves cars and clean them, up until now, I only knew just one kind wax(meguire) to finish the car that is washed up. Now that I came across you guys about detailing, I would want to learn more. Since I dont have the pc, and alot of ppl are using poorboys product, what would you recommend me to get?

I went to the poorboys web and there are too much stuff, lil complicated. Would you tell me which stuffs I need for my car?
    I have recently repainted my car and very happy with the result. but now that I know what orengepeel is like, and the more I look at it, I find the imperfections. Its not very noticeble but I would want to cover them up. so Please let me know which products I would need and the steps to use them.(ssr1,ssr2?,ssr3? wax? sealent, I would get them all if I need them. but please tell me the steps to do it, and which products I might need). I dont have much scratches as its only one month old.

and also How would I maintain my car clean? Its dark colour.
    I use washing mit from local canadian tire shop, by simoz or something, is this ok?
    I DON"T MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED IN THE POORBOY`S FORUM. I AM MOVING IT FOR YOU. THANKS!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: To Poorboy`s Steve

Originally posted by Dwayne
    I DON"T MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED IN THE POORBOY`S FORUM. I AM MOVING IT FOR YOU. THANKS!
    I thought I did that already. Sorry for sleeping on the job boss.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    He`s a :newbie got to give him a break the first time:dunno

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    He`s a :newbie got to give him a break the first time:dunno
    He did give him a break. We are going to start deleting threads that are in the wrong forum to help encourage people to post in the correct forums. THANK YOU!

Post Thanks / Like
    O U C H !!! Well, I guess the "Forum Police" will be busy then!!
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m stayin` out of it!
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rabbi
    I`m stayin` out of it!
    me too

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by norahcrv
    O U C H !!! Well, I guess the "Forum Police" will be busy then!!
    Nah, once the hurricane season is past, they will be O.K.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you steve for your kind welcome and also great answer.
    One thing to be clearify though, I have a parking lot in basement. Its usually little dusty, after I waxed my car it usually take about 4~5 days to be little dusty. In your write up, you told me to use ex-p to seal it, and wait an hour, do the second coat also waite a day to do next coat. If I wait a day, wouldnt there be dusts over the car and if I decide to give a another coat, shouldnt make the swirl marks? or scractchs from the accmulated dust over night?

Yes, this question has been bugging the hell out of me for quite sometime now.

also, now that you`ve told me I cant do anything about peels by hand, What If I get my hands on the PC? will that help using it with ssr serise?
    Last edited by mpower1226; 09-15-2004 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mpower1226
    In your write up, you told me to use ex-p to seal it, and wait an hour, do the second coat also waite a day to do next coat. If I wait a day, wouldnt there be dusts over the car and if I decide to give a another coat, shouldnt make the swirl marks? or scractchs from the accmulated dust over night?
    You can combat this by either a wash in-between coats or get you a Spray and Wipe type product. Hope this helps!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JaredPointer
    You can combat this by either a wash in-between coats or get you a Spray and Wipe type product. Hope this helps!
    but wouldnt "wash in between coat" strip the previous coat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information