Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys ssr 2.5 no workie

Guys, I was using this on my hood to remove swirls and they are still there. I made it look a little better. I used a orange pad. I used a speed of 4.5 on my pc. Am I doing something wrong?
    2008 Black Sap. Bmw 535i Speed
    2008 Jet Black Bmw X3 3.0 si
    email bimmerclubnc@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m thinking that the pad you are using is a cutting pad? Also how much product are you using and how well are you working it into the paint.

I use a cutting pad at about the same speed, then a dime size amount in a 2x2 ft area working until I can barely see the product any longer. I then follow that with the SSR1 with a mild pad and finish up with a polish pad with the P-w-C
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I put it on the pad in a x pattern and then spreaded it on the paint in a bigger area then the 2x2. I worked it in using a figure 8 motion from left to right. The product really did not dry in. I removed pretty easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again not sure but I would use a differnt pattern. I go up and back then side to side and then at a angle in the same 2x2 area. The amount of product that I have on the car is about a dime or just over that amount. Id does sound to me that you are doing the right thing maybe no working it as well as needed, or a larger area. I have done cars that have required more than one pass also of the SSR2 and that also may be the case.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Boss_429
    00GREENMACHINE,

Read my response (a couple of times ) in this recent post:

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...5436#post65436

Post Thanks / Like
    boss you said:

Now, without removing the pad from the paint surface, turn the machine up to 4.5 to 5 (depending on product) and work that 2" x 2" area. Work the area first with a back and forth pattern, using slighly overlapping strokes, then in a side to side pattern, and then in a diagonal pattern to both sides of the area you are woking.

back for forth would be up and down? I got the side to side. What is a diagonal pattern if you are standing on the side of the car. Sorry to sound so dumb. I think I have the right combo with the 2.5 and orange pad.

Boss_429
    Yep, something like this "||||", then across that pattern, then something like this "////", and then something like this "\\\\". Hope that helps? Some people use a zig-zag pattern in both directions, and that works for them.

The pattern, or sequence of patterns doesn`t really matter as much as working the product across all angles of the surface which will knock down the edges of the cob web/spider web/swirl marks in every direction.

The key is to "go slow", and let the machine, pad, and product do the work. A PC doesn`t generate a lot of heat............. going slow will help it generate some.

P.S........ One of the other important phrases in that post was "re-work the area if needed"!

Post Thanks / Like
    You might to up your PC to 6. Alot of people find you get the right cutting action.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you really gotta work the product so it breaks all the way down. It may take awhile but you should work it till it`s almost gone and dusting slightly. You may need to make several passes to get the desired effect.
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    do i need to lightly mist the pad with a qd. i am hearing mixed reviews on that. Makes since. Do I need to do it all applications like the ssr 2.5, VM and ex-p? Thanks

My problem is I dont have the proper time to do the whole car start to finish. I need 4 hours to do the car and with a 4 year old and a 7 mth old.. I dont need to explain anything else... I love them to death.

Boss_429
    00GREENMACHINE,

Not quite sure whaty your question is.

Anyhow, you can mist a little QD on the pad to start if you want. However, if you spread the product around before you turn the PC on, the pad should be primed. After a couple applications of the product, the pad should be primed anyhow. If you need to let the pad set for a while without using it, you can cover it tightly with a plastic bag to keep it moist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve recommends not using QD or water to pre-moisten pads when using SSR2.5. As Boss said, just spread some of the product around the pad (massage it into the foam with your fingers) to prime the pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the ssr`s at 6...meg`s yellow pad - don`t have 2.5 but 2 gets rid of 99% of what I need it too -

all products don`t get the |||\\\/// pattern - just when your attempting to remove defects. (swirls)
    You have activated my special ability....

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also remember, you are using a PC, not a rotary. Also, do multiple passes. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Speed 6. Polishing pad. Pattern doesn`t matter. Move it SLOWLY over the survace. Apply some pressure.

I leaned on mine almost as hard as I could last week when removing the scratches from a 10 yr old burgundy car that had never had the scratches polished. It worked great.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information