Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys product questions(EX + EX-P)

I have some questions regarding the two products mentioned in the topic.

1. Can you layer EX? It has carnauba so does that prevent you from layering?

2. Would you use EX if you were going to add a wax to top?

3. What different look would EX provide as apposed to EX-P with some wax on top?

4. Does EX or EX-P last longer?

Also I`m going to be detailing my world rally blue WRX soon. I`m thinking of using:

SSR2
    SSR1
    AIO
    EX-P(2 or 3 coats)

Would you guys recommend EX instead?

Thanks a bunch.

-Tim

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve layered EX. I`ve put 1ZGlanz Wax on top of EX. Strictly an opinion here. Ex makes my cars darker/deeper and richer looking while the EX-P gives them clarity or makes them shinier. Ex is recommended for darker cars and EX-P for lighter or cars with metal flake. Which is more durable? This I do not know Hope this helps. Rick
    Last edited by rabbi; 08-08-2004 at 12:36 PM.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    EX - rich / wet / deep look EX-p - Clear / bright / wet look (should last longer due to the pure sealant). Yes you can top either sealant after a few coats. Either would be a good candidate for your World Rally Blue. You can really go either way, but it depends on what you want.

Boss_429

Re: Poorboys product questions(EX + EX-P)

Originally posted by deft
    I have some questions regarding the two products mentioned in the topic.

1. Can you layer EX? It has carnauba so does that prevent you from layering?

2. Would you use EX if you were going to add a wax to top?

3. What different look would EX provide as apposed to EX-P with some wax on top?

4. Does EX or EX-P last longer?

Also I`m going to be detailing my world rally blue WRX soon. I`m thinking of using:

SSR2
    SSR1
    AIO
    EX-P(2 or 3 coats)

Thanks a bunch.

-Tim

1. Somewhat........... EX has a bit of cleaning ability. So you want to hand apply with light coats using light application techniques if you`re hoping for a little layering.

2. Yes

3. EX darkens, and deepens more than EX-P. It also has a bit more "shine" to it. EX-P is a bit clearer/brighter, and sometimes wetter than EX.

4. I give the edge to EX-P in durability. Probably because of it`s higher polymer content.

That combination you listed will work nicely. I would try both the EX, and EX-P to see which one you like best, as your opinion is the one that counts on your vehicle!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll post some pictures up in a little bit, I found quite a large scrach on my hoodscoop that I have no idea where it came from, it`d be a great help if you guys could give me some advice on it. As well, if SSR2 will be enough for the swirl marks.

No Woolpad Butchers Here! EZ Boy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboys product questions(EX + EX-P)

[i]

SSR2
    SSR1
    AIO
    EX-P(2 or 3 coats)

Thanks a bunch.

-Tim [/B]
    Hey Tim,

I worked on a WRC Blue WRX two weeks ago for one of regular mini detail clients and he is very ANAL about his Rex. He had the usual scratching (see below pic), some stone chips that he`d tried to fix that had to be levelled etc.

I used SSR2 with a rotary and the white Edge 2000 pad and worked it in thoroughly. The SSR2 has diminishing qualities and I didn`t see a need for SSR1 (esp since I wasn`t getting paid for 2-steps :-p ).

Because of the metallic fleck content in the paint I topped with EX twice and recommended an additional layer of EXP the next day - but he was already very happy with the depth and clarity from the EX. I felt that the EXP would have given it a bit more clarity and exhanced the metallic. I luv EXP on silver!!!:headbang

That`s my 5c
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    If I top EXp on Silver with Meguiar`s Gold Wax, will that enhance it or should I stop with EXp only - or maybe just add a second or third coat of exp? Thanks. I plan on using VM under the EXP also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Big T
    If I top EXp on Silver with Meguiar`s Gold Wax, will that enhance it or should I stop with EXp only - or maybe just add a second or third coat of exp? Thanks. I plan on using VM under the EXP also.
    Meg`s Gold Class has some cleaning properties, so it`s likely that it would remove some of the EX-P. I would suggest topping EX-P with a non-cleaner type of wax (e.g. Natty`s, S100, Trade Secret, etc.) or just continuing to layer more EX-P.

Thread Information