My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

SSR1 smearing when trying to remove...

I have been using and loving SSR1 for a while now. I did my first black car today though and noticed in some places SSR1 left a oily/smearing type film that would not wipe away easily. Since I used EXP with the PC, that kind of cleaned up the SSR1 "film" for me...

I think I just noticed it more because the car was black and it was easy to see. I used the PC on 6 for the SSR1 and thought I worked it in well enough...

PS-I have never had this issue with SSR2 or 3 (they always dust/dry up like a wax and are super easy to remove any residue) Is SSR1 that much different in this regard? Any tips to get SSR1 to dry-up better (or something )???

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you may be using too much. I use a very small (size of a dime X 2)for a 2-3 ft square. Starting around 4-4.5 and work it in, then crank up to about 6 and it basically dusts itself off. I only have to go over anything when I am done just to be sure there is no residue. you really shouldnt have to "wipe" the ssr`s off just the light dusting that may be left.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps I may be using a little too much, I though I used about as much as you are saying? Just seems like it behaves different. I use more SSR2 on the pad for a smaller area sometimes for instance and never have a problem with that :dunno SSR2/3 just seem to dry up much quicker than SSR1. I was in the sun when using them too.
    If I spread SSR2 on a hot car (like with the PC on for only maybe 10 seconds and then I turn it off), it dries white real quick, SSR1 seems to stay liquid or fluid vs. drying white. SSR2 for me drys then dusts, SSR1 just seems to leave that film but does not dust:dunno
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    It reminds me of the type of film S100/P21S leaves as you wipe it on the wipe it off right away, then step back and some places you did not wipe as well are a bit smeared/oily looking. Hard to explain....

I guess what I`m trying to say is it seems like I could use way too much SSR2/3 and all it would do it dust more. SSR1 seems like you could sit there and work an appropriate amount of it for a real long time since it does not really dry up and dust (for me). Kind of like buffing olive oil on the paint, it just keep the consistency it had from the bottle.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    10 seconds seems like way to little of time with the PC - I work the product for a good minute or two until it is almost gone.. You need to work it longer than 10 seconds for the abrasives to break down.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

No, I do work the product for a few minutes (2-3 minutes)...I was saying *hypothetically* if I just spread it out for about 10 seconds

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    SSR1 is thinner and can be worked much longer than SSR2 or SSR3 .....it sounds like you used too much and didn`t work it far enough...next time you try it let us know if these tips helped...

and if you do use too much by accident , just continue on to the next panel until it`s been spread out more....
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah (what groebuck said) and SSR1 is the least abrasive of the 4 SSR`s. that being said it also has a higher liquid content to abrasive content ratio (I think but I may be wrong) which would mean that you may have to work it longer. I typically do not notice much difference in the dry time myself :dunno

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, I`ll try less next time and see how it goes. If that works out, then I have to say that much less SSR1 is required the SSR2/3 for a given area (which is ok, just a good point to make a mental note of.....I was using the same amount of SSR1 as the other SSR`s)
    I have another paid job this weekend () of a car in good shape so I plan to use just SSR1 then go to EXP.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually don`t let anything dry. I work the product into the paint with the pc until there is hardly anything left and then just wipe it off. Never elft anything behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve noticed that SSR1 can be spread over a larger area than the same amount of SSR2 or 2.5. I`ve only used SSR3 as a spot treatment, so I can`t offer any comments about its "spreadability".

[edit for typo]
    Last edited by awd330; 06-07-2004 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would seem to match my experiences.

Thread Information