Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Layering Natty’s Wax

Hi!
    I’d like to thank every poster on this board. I have been lurking here since last fall and the little I know in detailing has been learned from your different posts. Heck! My definition of detailing was driving slowly through a carwash LOL!
    I am now detailing a new paint job (Tangerine Pearl topped with 7 coats of clear) on my motorcycle and need insight on layering Natty’s wax.
    I have gone through the following steps:
    SSR1
    Pro Polish
    PWC
    Ex (2 coats given: 24 hrs between each): 2 more to go
    I intend on topping with 3 layers of Natty’s.
    How much time should I allow between each coat of Natty’s? A week?
    Would I gain anything by using QD+ between each layer of Natty’s, or is this a mistake?
    TIA!
    Normand

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3 coats of Natty`s on my Red vehicle. Between layers, I wash with meguiars or 4 Star car wash,
    Some nights i will qd with my Mullet Qd , Final Inspection or Pinnacle Qd...Just my basic up keep

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried up to 4 coats of Natty`s over a 2 day period last year. My experience was that two coats (1 day apart) were sufficient for maximum gloss and even coverage. Skip the QD+ step between the 2 layers. If you`re worried about dust settling overnight, use a clear/clean QD spray like S&W or Final Inspection before applying the second coat. Re-apply Natty`s every month to maintain. You can also choose to use QD+ every couple weeks to extend the life of the wax.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wait at least 24 hours between coats. That`s just me.:miss Whaler.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!
    I`m still a bit confused (doesn`t take much LOL).
    Note: In the above post, I forgot to mention that I have been using S&W between each EX layer.
    I guess I should have asked:
    1. What is the recommended cure time for each layer of Natty`s wax. Would waiting more than 24 hours between each coat enhance anything?
    2. Once Poorboy`s QD+ has been used, will this prevent me from adding another layer of Natty`s later on or it doesn`t matter?
    TIA!
    Normand

Post Thanks / Like
    1. I`m pretty sure it is 24 hours. You will be wasting your time if you apply before 24 hours, the wax will not layer because it has not been given enough time to fully set up.

2. Have not used QD+, but it should not affect bonding of natty`s. You are probably thinking of a sealant, which is more finicky.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s best to wait 24 hours before layering anything, but if your pressed for time you can layer it in the same day. It certainly won`t hurt anything and you`ll be getting full coverage.

Post Thanks / Like
    So ... waiting for 24 hours is enough? I was under the impression that I had to wait longer, or that it was better to wait longer. Goes to show what I know.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the minimum wait time is 24 hours, some say to wait a week just to be safe
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

Boss_429
    I usually put two coats of any carnauba on within the first 24 - 36 hours............. for complete coverage. Then wait a week, and apply another coat. After that, a coat every 3 to 4 weeks is more than ample, unless you are washing the vehicle often.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah

always listen to the Boss
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    I usually put two coats of any carnauba on within the first 24 - 36 hours............. for complete coverage. Then wait a week, and apply another coat. After that, a coat every 3 to 4 weeks is more than ample, unless you are washing the vehicle often.
    I don`t intend on riding my motorcycle through the car wash LOL! I will be using S&W on a daily basis and then QD+ every once in a while.
    What will be the effect (if any) of the QD+ on the next layer application of NattY`s?
    Hey! This is starting to make sense to me. Thanks guys!

Boss_429
    The effect of QD+ will be a good one............. it will add a little protection, and keep the finish glossy. I would always S & W before the QD+ though. The QD+ is more of a quick wax than a QD and doesn`t have much cleaing/lubrication ability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight guys! It is very appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to wait a few days between coats of any sealants just to make sure they cure and crosslink or whatever they do. I invariably find that the second coat of sealant really makes a difference in depth. After that i`m not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information