Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ssr3

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy

my computer and i are mentally challenged in those departments

Aha! Now I see why the pics I mailed you never made it to your web site! Now I understand!! You may be as challanged puter-wise as this old guy!.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree about the pads. You need to use a pad that matches your product. Hell if you want to use a finishing pad with DACP then be my guest, however the job might only require #9. In my opinion it is both the product and the pad that does the work and both are important to achieve a result. I use Lake Country pads, but the Edge are good too. I haven`t tried Meg`s buffer pads. The buffer is the machine doing the work, so it is important that you outfit it with the best quality pads.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who don`t know how to build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    Wait until you try the SSR2.5 what a great product to use after SSR3 or instead of it for many case
    Put me down for a bottle when it`s ready Steve.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Dug up another old one.:nono
    Hey, it has relevance, I think.

So here I am, looking at this brown Buick Skyhawk (`84?). It belongs to an older lady who runs out with a ccd daily and moves it to a shady spot 2 or 3 times a day. From a distance the car looks to be in really good shape, just dull/oxidized. When you get close, you see the dullness is due to the cracked paint:eek .
    She says she`s waxed it herself for years before, but it`s getting too hard now, so she wanted to get someone else to do it. Enter me (girlfriend`s mom knows the lady).

So I try another brand of stuff similar to SSR2.5. Didn`t work. Left white patterns where the pc went. (Maybe the paint was too dry? Maybe the cracks were catching the product? dunno.) Anyway, I was getting worried. It`s bad enough to have a dull car with oxidation on the hood/roof/trunk, but it would be worse to have buffer patterns too!:bigscream

So I figger, What`s the worst that can happen? The paint`s trashed. Let`s experiment. (disclaimer: many "worst that could happen" things can happen! Do not try this at home-especially not on somebody`s pride and joy!)
    So I get my ssr3-it`s been sitting unused for months since I`ve read about how powerful it is. I get my med cut and heavy cut pads :wait . Yeah I was going all out. Again, this is a car that has cracked paint and was very white-ish with oxidation.

Let me tell you, my confidence in Steve`s products just keeps getting higher and higher. Even with ssr3 and a heavy cutting pad (I would not likely even think about this combo on a paint job in decently good shape) I was able to get the oxidation off and smooth the surface without causing more marring (at least none that was noticable on the cracked paint. Non-cracked paint may be another story, but I`m not likely to find that out anytime soon). It broke down easily, wiped off easily and when I finished with the ssr3/heavy cutting pad, I probably could have turned it in as done, there was such a noticable difference. (I didn`t. I went over again with ssr2, a glaze (hoping that might `fill` some of the cracks, and sealed it)

So in closing, I`m happy with ssr3`s ability to get rid of heavy oxidation and leave a pretty nice surface behind. I`m even happier with the safety features included at no extra charge so that even the novice/weekend warrior can feel like a "waxing god" without much fear of destroying the car so much that they have to find a real "waxing god" to fix their Oops.

What`s that you say? You with your hands up?
    :showpics
    Well yes. That would be helpful, but I really didn`t think there would be a marked difference, so all I took were afters, which are not developed, and I don`t have a scanner hooked up to my computer...
    :showorgo
    Well then, I guess I`m done here.:-p
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    SSR3 is not so agressive people should be afraid of it. I have only used a rotary 3 times, and just used SSR3 with it at 1700rpm. No problems here. (Because of the high solids content it did gum up a bit but not too bad)
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big Leegr...you are a brave person! I wouldn`t have the nuts to use SSR3 with a heay cutting pad on someone elses car.

Rosso.....in general, I agree you match the product to the pad. But, someone here (I won`t mention Poorboy`s names )showed me first hand how to let the product do the work. On a black car with pretty negelcted paint I was getting nowhere with DACP and a light cut pad so I moved to a light compound and a light cut pad. It was working fairly well but there were still paint problems left behind plus the compound/light cut pad combo (not a Poorboy`s compound) was leaving some haze behind as well. Steve grabbed the rotary from my hands and proceeded to use SSR3 with a white, fine polish pad at about 2500 rpm! This pad is practically a finishing pad and I`ve used it that way many times. The result.....an 80% improvement in the overall finish wth zero haze. All that was needed was an application of SSR1 and the paint was awesome.

I`ve also used Meg`s Swirl Free Polish first with a polishing pad then followed up with the same polish and a finishing pad....that works very well.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information