Post Thanks / Like

Post Beta Product Review: Poorboy’s Syn1 (Super Cut / Super Finish)

Beta Product Review: Poorboy’s Syn1 (Super Cut / Super Finish)

Product Description (from Manufacturer):
    “SYN 1 is a professional grade heavy duty abrasive. SYN 1 contains no wax or silicone. It is body shop safe and is great for detailers or perfectionists and vehicles new or old. It can safely be used on clearcoats and all paints. Use by hand or machine, in sun or shade. SYN 1 removes deep swirls, most surfaces”

• No Wax / No Silicone
    • Use in Sun or Shade
    • Hand or Machine Application
    • Removes: Deep Swirls, Oxidation, most scratches, and overspray.
    • Use on: Clearcoats, paints, glass, and gel coats

Initial Product Observations:
    1. Manufacturer: Poorboy’s World
    2. Made in: Proudly made in the U.S.A.
    3. Packaging: 16 oz. clear plastic bottle with a flip top cap
    4. Color: Creamy Pink
    5. Scent: Strawberries with a chemical undertone
    6. Consistency: Medium Thick Lotion / Gel (**Not watery/runny a definite Plus)
    7. Directions:
    - Apply a small amount of SYN 1 to the paint’s surface or evenly around a foam pad. Spread SYN 1 over a small section before starting machine, to reduce fling. Polish using light pressure and continue until SYN 1 starts to dust slightly. Buff with soft cloth or microfiber by hand. There should be a light haze at this point, which is perfectly normal. For finishing use SSR2 and/or SSR1 and Poorboy’s Professional polish and then EX sealant w/ carnauba for a better than showroom shine.

Additional products used for prep, during application, or removal: (click links to view products)
    1. Dawn Wash w/ The Bone by Cobra
    2. Mothers California Gold Clay Bar
    3. The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel
    4. 3M Scotch 233+ Premium Automotive Masking Tape
    5. Porter cable 7424xp
    6. XMT Pad Care Combo
    7. Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads - Orange
    8. Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light

Test Parameters:
    Time: 5:00 PM
    Temp: Approx. 78*
    Humidity: Approx. 30%
    Wind: Approx. 8mph from NNW

Test Procedure:
    1. Car hood was washed using a single bucket with a Dawn wash mixture with some Simple Green APC to remove protection.
    2. Hood was clayed using Rinse water a lubricant.
    3. Hood was re-rinsed
    4. Car was dried with Guzzler WW.
    5. Hood was then taped off into sections for test.
    6. SYN 1 was applied to a new 5.5 Orange LC Flat Pad in an “X” Pattern.
    7. SYN 1 was then worked into test section 6 section passes. (6 Section passes were used to create a base line for comparison.)
    8. SYN 1 was applied to the 5.5 Orange LC Flat Pad using KBM Method. Pad was primed across the face and then a 3 pea sized amounts placed on face.
    9. SYN 1 was then worked into test section 6 section passes.
    10. M105 was applied to a new 5.5 Orange LC Flat Pad using KBM Method. Pad was primed across the face and then a 3 pea sized amounts placed on face.
    11. M105 was then worked into test section 6 section passes.

Test Subject:

No Protection Left:

Hood Before:

SYN 1 - Test Section is Top Right Corner / M105 - Test Section is Top Left Corner

SYN 1 - Test Section is Top Right Corner:

Priming Pad

Working SYN 1 1st Pass

SYN 1 1st Pass - Dusting

SYN 1 1st Pass – Correction

Working SYN 1 2nd Pass

SYN 1 2nd Pass – Correction

SYN 1 Thought’s and Observations:
    - Ok work time. I was able to manage 6 section passes each time.
    - After 1st pass there was approximately 75% correction. Deep swirls, scratches and RIDS were left.
    - In my opinion the SYN 1 was fairly high dusting. It started dusting about the 2nd section pass. But if you polishing I expect to have to re-wash the vehicle.
    - Left a slight haze but finished down really nicely. It was able to be finished down with a light polish. (M205)
    - Strawberry scent was a nice touch but the chemical undertones reminded me I should be wearing a respirator.
    - After 2nd pass there was approximately 85% - 90% correction. Deep scratches and RIDS were left.
    - I really like the thicker consistency of the product.
    - I feel like the SYN 1 preformed better after priming the pad using the KBM method. It allowed for a longer work time and less dusting.

M105 - Test Section is Top Left Corner:

M105 1st Pass

M105 1st Pass – Correction

M105 Thought’s and Observations:
    - After 1st pass there was approximately 90 - 95% correction. Deep scratches and RIDS were left.
    - Very Fast Cutting
    - Slight Dusting. Not as much as SYN 1.
    - M105 left a definite hazing but it leveled the paint very fast and accomplished this in 1 pass.
    - Work time was about a long as SYN 1. I was able to accomplish the 6 section passes for this test without any problem.

Comparison / Contrast & Conclusion:
    M105 has set itself up as a staple to many detailers toolbox as a go to compound. I my opinion this makes it a great baseline for this test. Based on this test it is my opinion that PB SYN 1 has a cut slightly under that of M105. I was able achieve the same correction level with SYN 1 but it took 2 passes to achieve this. Using the PCxp I think the work time is not as good as it could be. I’m sure it is better with a rotary polisher. I think that the SYN 1 finished down a little better than the M105 but at the same time it took 2 passes to get close to the same correction. I think with a little bit more time with this product I will be able to have some better incites. I actual am getting the test car back this week to run some more tests. Thanks for looking.

- Special thanks to CEE DOG for having a great review template to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beta Product Review: Poorboy’s Syn1 (Super Cut / Super Finish)

Nice write up.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice writeup. Those are about the same feelings from my use of SYN 1. It is a nice product that works a bit better in direct sun than M-105 but IMO needs more cutting ability. CEE DOG really does do a nice review

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice write up.

Questions:

1) Did you do any kind of wipe-down afterwards with the intent to check for / remove fillers?

2) How "gritty" did this feel out of the bottle? Can you feel the abrasives with your fingers?

3) How easy/difficult was it to remove the residue? I know sometimes when using 105 that the residue is gummy and hard to remove (high temps and very high humidity).

Would like to see some after pics in the sun (like the before pics) of the hood.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

GearHead, Dave, David F.-
    Thanks for the comments

Jared-
    Those are some very good questions. I will do my best to answer them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    1) Did you do any kind of wipe-down afterwards with the intent to check for / remove fillers?
    - I did do a wipe down after each test section to make sure that I wasn’t simply filling the scratches and swirls even though both test product claim to have not fillers. On a test like this I think it is important to do a wipe down. I realize now I left that out of my review.

2) How "gritty" did this feel out of the bottle? Can you feel the abrasives with your fingers?
    - If I am remembering correctly you could feel a slight grit from the abrasives. I can check this out again tonight and report back.
    - The thing I remember most is that it really seemed to dry out my fingers that I used to prime my pad. I usually would wear a latex glove for this but didn’t for some reason.

3) How easy/difficult was it to remove the residue? I know sometimes when using 105 that the residue is gummy and hard to remove (high temps and very high humidity).
    - I did have some trouble initially with removing some left over residue. Thus an additional reason for a wipe down as well. I thought this was more an application problem on my part. As long as maintain a good constant pressure there was almost no residue and the removal a breeze.
    - At one point after the test sections I tried to lighten the pressure in hopes of finishing it down better. It left a lot of residue that I ended up needing to hit with the buffer to remove. I assumed this was combination of things: Higher temp, humidity, not breaking down the polish fully, possibly using too much product, ambient hood temp from sitting out all day in the sun.
    - I am planning on using this polish a couple more time to get a better feel for how it works and what is possible when using it with a PCxp.

Would like to see some after pics in the sun (like the before pics) of the hood.
    - I am actually getting the car back tonight to finish it off. I can try and do another section and take some better before / after pictures in the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

If you changed up the pad you could have finish with the Syn 1 it`s very good with a polishing pad.

Thread Information